Master Class (Petrucci/Abasi/Townsend Content)

I can’t timestamp it via ipad, but you can start this at 3:40-

There’s also the infamous Jay Leno phone incident, where Dev stuck the phone in the green room up his ass. If you Google it, you’ll see the evidence. Once was enough for me. :rofl

I recommend his music to my friends more than any other band/artist and once I get them hooked with a song I start telling them about his past.

It's probably my favorite. It was also my first, so there's that.

I think a lot had to do with Derek. He was only a member for that short period of time. So DT with Kevin sounded one way, and we all know what DT with Jordan sounds like. Kinda goes to reason that DT with Derek would be a bit more unique.

Some of those riffs in Just Let Me Breathe are unlike anything else in any DT song, so I have to think they came from him. Plus, Derek had a totally different way of approaching the keys. I mean, neither of the other 2 guys played a Hammond B3, so there's that too. You can hear DP in his style.

Very diverse player. About the only unique thing I hear from Jordan is his ragtime. (I'm exaggerating..., but just a bit. :sofa )

I think you nailed it, Tom. :beer

I would add that Jordan has that cinematic/movie score gene from Danny Elfman that he drenches
some passages in.

I wonder what they would have become with Derek in the band long-term. :idk

I think you nailed it, Tom. :beer
;)
I wonder what they would have become with Derek in the band long-term. :idk

ME too! Say, if he had stayed, and they got Marco Minnemann to replace Portnoy. Maybe they would've loosened up a bunch. :crazy

I can kinda see why JP gravitated towards Jordan though. I mean, imagine having the chance to write music with someone who is like completely on your technical and musical theory level. I can really see why he would want that. (Then again, he already had that in LTE...)

However (me going into taking a both-sidees-of-the-fence stance), otoh, when members are very different from one another, I think that's when you get music that's completely original, and maybe even to the point of being genre-defying. All the latest DT and even LTE stuff sounds the same. Where's the diversity any more?

Look at the Eagles, when they brought in Don Felder, and later on, Joe Walsh. Or how Fleetwood Mac wrote SO much good material, because it came from 3 very different songwriters.

Back