Kemper Player - 1st [ Paid for ? ] Update coming very soon ?

I see dead products.jpg

I'm glad you are happy to spend the money but there isn't any way to spin this as anything but nonsensical
I don’t need to spin it. I described in clear language why it isn’t nonsense for me. No one, including Kemper, has said the Player is the correct choice for everyone. It is purposely designed for some people only. For me it was very sensible and it was a net positive change. I had a Stage now I have turned that into a Player, fully upgraded and cash to spare. The Player suits me much more than the Stage or a Toaster which I’ve had prior to the Stage.
How is it nonsense for me to make that change in the gear I use?!?
I get it, but in this day and age of such easy access to used product, vendors/retailers are most definitely competing with it, and therefore should be paying attention to it. Why do you think Sweetwater started their own used market, and is taking a slice? Make money selling new, make money selling used.
There has never been a used Kemper profiler in the market that didn’t begin by someone buying a new one from Kemper first. So the more popular a product is the more used variations there are available. I don’t see why a manufacturer would reduce price of a new product because there is a used product that a consumer might buy. That is a built in aspect to the market that all manufacturers have to deal with equally and have also benefited from to whatever degree their product was successful. It is a non factor.

There seems to be a lot of complaints that rely on a construct that Kemper didn’t design and price the Player to meet the exact ‘best specifications’ that suit the individual who is lodging the complaint.
So someone built something that someone else doesn’t like…. Every manufacturer everywhere everyday….
If a used Toaster or Stage is a more sensible solution to the individual then there is no foundation for the complaint, the shopper simply needs to move right on by the Player and choose the item that better suits their needs. That possible used item choice is baked into the price of the new item.

Last edited:
So it's a grand for a "fully loaded" Player that still can't capture, or $800-$900 for a toaster, $1100 or so for a Stage. It's like Christophe has never heard of the used market before.

Stage is the only one I'd go for. It has built-in WiFi which makes life a lot easier, integrated controller, all of the functionality, no DLC.

I still think if you're going to add amp/cab modeling to a pedalboard, Tonex is the way to go. $400 new, three onboard switches, a screen on the unit, real knobs to turn, full size MIDI ports, 9V 300mA power, a marketplace that allows for easy buying of captures, etc.

There has never been a used Kemper profiler in the market that didn’t begin by someone buying a new one from Kemper first. So the more popular a product is the more used variations there are available. I don’t see why a manufacturer would reduce price of a new product because there is a used product that a consumer might buy. That is a built in aspect to the market that all manufacturers have to deal with and have benefited from to whatever degree their product was successful. It is a non factor.
As someone who's worked with a guitar shop for 10 years, I definitely disagree, based on actual experience with the MI market.

Stage is the only one I'd go for. It has built-in WiFi which makes life a lot easier, integrated controller, all of the functionality, no DLC.

I still think if you're going to add amp/cab modeling to a pedalboard, Tonex is the way to go. $400 new, three onboard switches, a screen on the unit, real knobs to turn, full size MIDI ports, 9V 300mA power, a marketplace that allows for easy buying of captures, etc.
I'd be far more gung-ho about the ToneX, if the capture process didn't suck balls. As such, the NC is more appealing for captures, even if it's not as "accurate". If IK ever figures out an easier capture method (in terms of the proper gainstaging), then I'll jump in.

As someone who's worked with a guitar shop for 10 years, I definitely disagree, based on actual experience with the MI market.
The products your store sells has the used market place baked into their price structure right along with the distribution and retailer share etc. So what exactly are you disagreeing with? That they considered the market for their new product? That they are oblivious to the used product factor?

The products your store sells has the used market place baked into their price structure right along with the distribution and retailer share etc. So what exactly are you disagreeing with? That they considered the market for their new product? That they are oblivious to the used product factor?
I'm saying that manufacturers need to pay attention to the used market when pricing their new stuff, especially when the existing line-up (of which this product is an extension of) has been around for a decade.

It's as simple as this: "How much is it? $1000? But it has less features than your other product does, that I can get used for the same price." New sale lost.

If the new product isn't a good value in relation to what's already available on the used market, people aren't going to bite. This literally happens all the time.

EDIT

I can also tell you for a fact that some manufacturers pay attention to the used market, in relation to pricing new products. Example would be Mesa Boogie, who A. made their 5 year warranties non-transferable (hence adding value to new purchases), and B. lowering the prices of a ton of their amps.

I'd be far more gung-ho about the ToneX, if the capture process didn't suck balls. As such, the NC is more appealing for captures, even if it's not as "accurate". If IK ever figures out an easier capture method (in terms of the proper gainstaging), then I'll jump in.

Yeah the capture process isn't good for Tonex, I was just looking at their capture box and that seems to require another interface too for some reason. It should be an all in one box with USB interface IMO.

The Quad Cortex still has issues with the gain staging for captures. Not sure if Nano has the same problem. But when you dial everything in and capture the tone, the input gain drops several dB which messes with the tone and gain quite a bit. Otherwise the Neural process is pretty good.

Yeah the capture process isn't good for Tonex, I was just looking at their capture box and that seems to require another interface too for some reason. It should be an all in one box with USB interface IMO.
This, 110%. Needs to be a dedicated box for captures, with the leveling easily done there.

Back