Kemper Player - 1st [ Paid for ? ] Update coming very soon ?

Still, regardless of the function of plugins or whatever, for an end user it's "you need to pay for a feature the unit can do but that we're holding back deliberately" with both the QC and the Kemper Player.
And as long as people will buy into these things, companies will milk their users as much as possible.
You could say the same about IR packs (like AxeFX dynacabs). Even still, the fact they work without ANY requirement at all to own the HW makes a big difference. They are standalone products, and if you own them, they work on the QC. It’s different to unlocking features that you can only benefit from by owning and using that specific HW. The Kemper levels require you to own a kemper player, and they don’t allow you any features without using the player. It’s a distinct difference.

I suspect all that’ll happen anyway is Kemper will drop the price of the expanded players to the current price and the unloaded models will be a bit cheaper to compete with ToneX and NC

I suspect all that’ll happen anyway is Kemper will drop the price of the expanded players to the current price and the unloaded models will be a bit cheaper to compete with ToneX and NC

This. It's almost inevitable that Kemper will switch it all around in a bit and release something.....I don't know....maybe a Player Plus for $750 that has the whole enchilada.

You could say the same about IR packs (like AxeFX dynacabs). Even still, the fact they work without ANY requirement at all to own the HW makes a big difference. They are standalone products, and if you own them, they work on the QC.
Axefx dynacabs work on the QC??

Not when you're not into all things DAW or whatever. In case all you want is a hardware modeler, both NDSP and Kemper are charging you for extra features that are just hidden. Absolutely no difference for a strict hardware user.
It’s just a stupid argument overall to narrow it down to “a strict HW user”. The plugins aren’t designed as added QC content, they are seperate standalone products. Whether a user decides to buy them for something other than their intended purpose is their call, but buying it purely to expand a QC makes little sense when most of the content is in them already.

The person who benefits most from the NDSP PCOM stuff is existing plugin users who want to take the tones they are used to on their standalone rig into something portable.

If someone is buying additional Fender Twin and EVH amp models to add to the existing ones in the modeller, more fool them.

If you buy something that doesn’t require existing hardware to run, it’s much more useful than something that only runs on specific HW. Moreso if you are able to sell those software “expansions”.

It’s just a stupid argument overall to narrow it down to “a strict HW user”.

No. There's loads of them around.

The plugins aren’t designed as added QC content,

Of course they are. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to load them onto the QC. It's obviously neither their only or main purpose, but it's one of their purposes.

The person who benefits most from the NDSP PCOM stuff is existing plugin users who want to take the tones they are used to on their standalone rig into something portable.

I don't even disagree. And still, for QC users they're paid DLC.

brain GIF

I don’t understand all this nuancing about the right way to price stuff. Either the Kemper’s a compelling product to you and paying $1k for a small form factor is worth it, or not.

It’s like complaining about the tier pricing at an all-you-can-eat when the other ones in town are flat pricing. I’m like, is the food good? Then who cares, let’s go pig out! Seems like we have a lot of people who don’t think the food is as good complaining about the tier pricing, get your complaint straight.

It’s like complaining about the tier pricing at an all-you-can-eat when the other ones in town are flat pricing. I’m like, is the food good? Then who cares, let’s go pig out! Seems like we have a lot of people who don’t think the food is as good complaining about the tier pricing, get your complaint straight.
Just when I thought your analogies couldn't get worse 🤣

I don’t understand all this nuancing about the right way to price stuff. Either the Kemper’s a compelling product to you and paying $1k for a small form factor is worth it, or not.

That's a bit of a dumb analogy, given you'd know going into it that the pricing is tiered, not a year later.

Of course they are. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to load them onto the QC. It's obviously neither their only or main purpose, but it's one of their purposes.

The plugins started the company and up until a couple months ago had literally no overlap to the QC, they are their own product imo.

When it first dawned on me that adding pcom to the QC would mean a bunch of locked content it rubbed me the wrong way, but the way it’s implemented is actually the best they could have done it. The stuff is under its own section and not meshed with “amps” or “pedals” which is a great move (if you were scrolling through amps and a bunch were locked that would be terrible imo).

Even back to pre launch wording “you can run your plugins on the qc”, that’s not “now that you own a qc you’ll get all our plugins for free on the unit”. The QC has a ton of stuff in it already. If you’re gassing for the SLO-X soldano vs the QC soldano… or the EVH Gojira vs the QC EVH then that’s a bit on you a bit, the overlap is too real and nothing to fomo over. I’m sure there’ll be some unique fx like in Rabea where you can make a legit case that those should be added as core QC functionality, but we haven’t seen what that looks like yet.

The optimist in me wants to think, how else could they have done this that’s fair for everyone… you can’t just give every plugin away for free to qc users, and on the other extreme end of the spectrum I guess they could have gone back on their word and said it’s just not doable, and then everyone loses out. I’m happy to criticise any brand if they take the piss but the way NDSP has implemented pcom is pretty spot on, it’s just what it looks like.

Back