Just picked up a Sugar Drive.

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Apparently I have a new affliction? Wanted a Klon, bought a variant clone. At least from what I have seen about it? This thing is super compact and pretty damn quiet. I like it with volume up maybe just under 50%/slightly above? I seem to be staring down a rabbit hole :oops: I know this lineup is not even a drop in a lot of people's buckets but coming from an amp gain guy; this is the makings of a problem :whistle

Attachments

• OD_Lineup.jpg
    OD_Lineup.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
Apparently I have a new affliction? Wanted a Klon, bought a variant clone. At least from what I have seen about it? This thing is super compact and pretty damn quiet. I like it with volume up maybe just under 50%/slightly above? I seem to be staring down a rabbit hole :oops: I know this lineup is not even a drop in a lot of people's buckets but coming from an amp gain guy; this is the makings of a problem :whistle
I LOVE this line up! I have a Pure Sky and a Caline Mellow Drive (Zendrive esque) on the way. Oh forgot that I also have a Mooer Blues Mood (Keeley BD2) and a Mooer Ultra Drive (Keeley DS1) on the way too. And that will "complete" my board... Hopefully??

16646620024577458876111894000713.jpg

I LOVE this line up! I have a Pure Sky and a Caline Mellow Drive (Zendrive esque) on the way. Oh forgot that I also have a Mooer Blues Mood (Keeley BD2) and a Mooer Ultra Drive (Keeley DS1) on the way too. And that will "complete" my board... Hopefully??

View attachment 1153
I have NEVER boosted anything. Always, always, always amp gain. I know I'm probably missing 10 categories in my boost choices and it's probably better that way :nails

A klon style boost into a Recto style amp is one of my favourite filth combos ever.
That FAS Klon is SUBLIME in front of the Badlander. The OCD clone is still winning the race for now but I've got some loud time today so that still has a chance to change :satan

Nice! I almost bought one once but GC wouldn't discount for a boxless beat up floor model that was the only one they had in the store :(

Nice! I almost bought one once but GC wouldn't discount for a boxless beat up floor model that was the only one they had in the store :(
I wanted to try the Fat Sugar actually. That's a MF or GC(?) exclusive? This is pretty good too. Bill explained the difference on GGF. No real world experience on it. This pedal is obviously what the local "not-GC/MF" dealer had.

I'm getting ready to shoo the dogs out and start tremolo picking :satan

Two of my favorite boosts are a Klon type and a more open clean boost like a Timmy. I use a JRocket silver Klon clone and a Timmy. One of the best of those two types in one pedal is the Suhr Koko boost that’s a tweak able mid boost type on one side and more transparent open boost in the other.

So just did some quick A/Bing.

Over BL crunch channel set to not quite crunch when up loud. I LOVE the OCD clone. Level up 60/70%ish and gain just starting to hit the amp input. Sizzle is juuuuuuuuuust right. The Sugar is great too with level wayyyyy up and gain just barely cracking open. I like the OCD better especially for a live setting as that sizzle will come in handy a few hours in when your ears are shot :cop

I didn't like the OCD on the clean channel. I felt like I could like it with some judicious channel eq tweaks? The Sugar on the clean channel with level up high and gain up towards 50%ish was actually this weird mix of clean and brutal. Like; articulation (for better or worse :bag :rofl ) was phenomenal. Super chunky and gainy without excess sizzle. Very impressive.

The BL itself is such a weird Mesa. You can have all the knobs other than the Master cranked and get a great tone of out it. It's defintiely the hardest to f**k up your tone Mesa I have ever played.

Man, I love boosting a crunch channel on an amp. It's one of my main ways of getting more gain, although I've avoided rabbit holes by finding two pedals I loved early on and sticking with them for the past eight years or so (prior to that I didn't do the boost thing). Those two being the Keeley Fuzz Head and MXR CBMOD.

I'm currently enjoying trying all the FAS drives/boosts, although I haven't tried the Klon yet, @JiveTurkey . I do really like the FAS RC Booster and SD-1, so far.

I haven't tried any of those pedals you've got, but they look like fun. :)

Man, I love boosting a crunch channel on an amp. It's one of my main ways of getting more gain, although I've avoided rabbit holes by finding two pedals I loved early on and sticking with them for the past eight years or so (prior to that I didn't do the boost thing). Those two being the Keeley Fuzz Head and MXR CBMOD.

I'm currently enjoying trying all the FAS drives/boosts, although I haven't tried the Klon yet, @JiveTurkey . I do really like the FAS RC Booster and SD-1, so far.

I haven't tried any of those pedals you've got, but they look like fun. :)
I like gain solely from an amp too but there’s something special and different in a lot of good ways when boosting amps with pedals. One of the main things I like with certain pedals is you can use them as tone shappers for your guitars and not just a boost.

I was tempted to get one but I never liked the Klon sims that I tried. I ended up with a couple Bluesbreaker style pedals instead.

I really want a Greer Lightspeed right now. It seems like the ideal "add a little more gain" pedal that isn't a "transparent" OD, isn't a mid boost, and isn't a fizzy distortion pedal.

I was tempted to get one but I never liked the Klon sims that I tried. I ended up with a couple Bluesbreaker style pedals instead.

I really want a Greer Lightspeed right now. It seems like the ideal "add a little more gain" pedal that isn't a "transparent" OD, isn't a mid boost, and isn't a fizzy distortion pedal.
For me; I didn't want something that trimmed off the low end or any sort of sculpting. I am slowly but slowly building a little satellite dirt board and I will put this on there most likely.

The Mosky Silver Horse on headroom mode (switch) and zero gain is the best tube amp boost in existence.
It has 25v of peak-to-peak internal voltage, clean, tight, and almost sounds like an extra tube stage on the frontend.
It is different than the Golden Horse (Klon) because it cleans to zero distortion even with EMGs and has much higher output.

I only buy "Authentic".... from China.

:bag

ali.jpg

Back