OD pedal redundancy. What do I still "need"?

IME as someone who likes fuzz but doesn’t like the super mid scoop get lost in the mix type fuzz… I’ve dug the JHS Kilt, Mythos Chupacabra, or any SD9 pedal which does a nice job at bridging the gap.

Tubescreamer
Clean boost
Klon
Bluesbreaker
SD1 and/or DS1
Rat style semi-fuzz
Metal Distortion Mayhem

Which pedal being discussed here doesn't fit GENERALLY SPEAKING into one of the above groupings?
Like you're doing a gig - could another guitarist hearing your rig pretty well be able to tell if you were using
a Timmy or just a plain old clean boost?

All I have is an old PoT with the 3 position voice switch external. Supposedly it's Bluesdriver/TS9/Klon-ish.
Had a bunch of individual pedals of each style but it ends up seeming like a waste of an adapter slots.
I never stack ODs so the little switch is like having the 3 main OD voicings you really need if your core tone
is already pretty high gain.

Just seems like as big a rabbit hole sometimes as IRs can be.

View attachment 17231

View attachment 17232
I think it depends on what kind of base tone you use. If you normally run a very clean, or slightly clean signal -- then certain OD characteristics will be more distinguishable and nuanced. In that case, having a variety of ODs or distortions is not a bad thing. But if your base tone is breakup or heavier gain then those OD pedals become less distinguishable and more so about which one boosts certain frequencies to maintain integrity of the signal. SD-1, Klon, TS9, etc. all do that thing well. It becomes more about NEED at that point so choices are narrowed.

IME as someone who likes fuzz but doesn’t like the super mid scoop get lost in the mix type fuzz… I’ve dug the JHS Kilt, Mythos Chupacabra, or any SD9 pedal which does a nice job at bridging the gap.
I put an offer in for a Tone Wicker Muff. I'm probably going to pull the trigger :bag

Back