JHS Pedals NOTAKLÖN (Solderless KLON DIY Kit)

I suffered through 10 minutes of this and, for my life, i could not tell you what this guy's so upset about.

Ah, KDH, ironically rapidly becoming as popular as Rob Chapman for finding problems that don't exist and making them dramas.

He's kind of got a point there. What he never quite says explicitly is JHS are selling a kit for the same as a built pedal, saving on labour costs and also saving on Warranty/Customer Service costs (because obviously the warranty is going to be less on something that is end user assembled). So per unit it's more profitable and less aggro for them.

As it's been a great success, it might start a trend with other manufacturers which is potentially good for them and less good for the consumer (paying 'more' for less).

So he doesn't like the marketing gimmick that tricks us into being stiffed.

KDH and Jim Lill, two youtubers who really shouldn't get any exposure and they'll hopefully just go away.

...over what, exactly? The thing is a novelty, not a vehicle to lower support costs. It's not a "kit pedal" - and the price reflects it.

But ... but ... but ... if you look at it like that, there's no dubious drama. And if there's no dubious drama, the Guitarists' Investigative Champion cannot leap into action to produce another video to add to their arsenal of consumer protection gems.

Piss-taking aside, there are sometimes some fair points in the KDH output, but most of the time it does appear he actually goes looking for a negative angle/worst interpretation and then either buries it in indirection or hedges it with plausible deniability. But it seems to work for him, and I guess (hope) he has a thick skin.

-----
More serious comment: his argument is that whilst this might be some clever novelty marketing by JHS now, as it has done so well, it could be a trigger for the market to move in this general direction to everyone's disadvantage (except the pedal companies). As a hypothetical it's possible, but like you, I don't think it's massively likely.

Back