is a power conditioner sufficient or spring for a voltage regulator?

sleewell

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
the 6505 going up in smoke has me paranoid hahahaha. that shit is traumatizing!!!! the power at our rehearsal spot seems like it has been pretty good for 2 years now, no real issues. still though I want to drop some money on a power conditioner just to be safe for some peace of mind. then I'm looking at voltage regulators that are more expensive.

is it worth it to spring for the voltage regulator or is a decent power conditioner sufficient for amps and a PA?

thanks!!!

the 6505 going up in smoke has me paranoid hahahaha. that shit is traumatizing!!!! the power at our rehearsal spot seems like it has been pretty good for 2 years now, no real issues. still though I want to drop some money on a power conditioner just to be safe for some peace of mind. then I'm looking at voltage regulators that are more expensive.

is it worth it to spring for the voltage regulator or is a decent power conditioner sufficient for amps and a PA?

thanks!!!
The issue with the peavey was probably down to a component failure rather than dodgy power. most power conditioners aren’t going much unless you start spending serious money, and that won’t stop components drifting out of spec or getting worn out.

Not a bad thing to invest in but shit happens with amps, just part of how it goes

thanks!!!
Voltage regulators and power conditioners usually output stepped/simulated sine wave. That's a big NO for audio equipment. You can burn or break them with stepped/simulated sine wave.

You can use an online UPS to power your amps with sinus wave and clean power. You can also set the voltage ~10-20 volt higher or lower than 120V or 230V. The voltage is always stable with them because they power everything with their batteries while they are being charged through mains. The ones with 600 VA (540W) must be plenty for 5-6 amps depending on their wattage and they are not expensive.

Being able to keep playing your guitar when power goes out is a bonus too.

I've been using an APC Line-R voltage regulator with my rigs for years.....dunno how much difference it actually makes but it was pretty cheap and gives you a few more outlets plus a long ass power cable

Back