Amped 1 initial thoughts as power amp only

Yeah you're probably right but I'd think it's still worth comparing the 2. It's not like it's hard.

But no big deal either way. I bought a Palmer Macht 402 power amp to try with the Syn2. It should be here on Friday and I'll post a review of anyone is interested

Lol - harder than it should be at the moment. Work has been an absolute bitch so far this week. I won't have a chance to play through my gear until the weekend. I'll try it then, but I expect what @Foxmeister said is correct.

Yeah you're probably right but I'd think it's still worth comparing the 2. It's not like it's hard.

But no big deal either way. I bought a Palmer Macht 402 power amp to try with the Syn2. It should be here on Friday and I'll post a review of anyone is interested
Said this at GGF but very interested on how the Palmer does for you. I know you have a great history with their stuff so it should be a solid piece I'd think?

yeah I've been using Palmer gear since the 90s and I like pretty much every thing they make. I don't know how a SS power amp will work with this rig, but if there is anyone that can pull this off, it's Palmer. We'll see.

Hey @GuitarBilly I did briefly try through the fx return, sounded pretty much the same, but much less level, so I didn't do anything scientific to match levels and measure. And of course the EQ doesn't work in that mode.

My opinion after playing today with fresh ears is that it is a nice upgrade over the SD Powerstage, but not a replacement for a good tube poweramp... Probably ok for a backup...

Hey @GuitarBilly I did briefly try through the fx return, sounded pretty much the same, but much less level, so I didn't do anything scientific to match levels and measure. And of course the EQ doesn't work in that mode.

My opinion after playing today with fresh ears is that it is a nice upgrade over the SD Powerstage, but not a replacement for a good tube poweramp... Probably ok for a backup...
Thanks for testing this, I appreciate it. Saves me some money(y)

To follow up, I did a few more tests. There is some cable swapping etc to do in switching between them, so I can't do immediate back to back A/B tests, but aside from the more pronounced highs and lows on the Amped 1 (which can be EQ'd out) there is slightly less dynamics in the Amped 1, like when you lighten up your touch (like, who does that in metal, anyway?!?) or even back down the volume on the guitar, the power section of the 5153 is more responsive. Not really a difference in sound but a feel thing that when you are used to it, you miss it when its not there. This is not a huge difference, but I think it's one of those things that make tube amps so hard to replace.

The Amped 1 is great step in the right direction. Some might not notice or care as much about the difference...

Reactions: JTI
I had practice with the Synergy rack today. My Palmer power amp is not here yet and I didn't feel like carrying my Friedman so I just used this small pedal amp I have here. (Playtech GPA100).

Honestly it sounded great. I had no trouble getting over the drummer, actually had plenty of headroom left. The tone was not as good as when using the tube power section but definitely in the right ballpark. If I call the Friedman power section a "10" this wouldve been a "7" and definitely gig worthy.

One thing that is important when using a SS power section is to use the minimum recommended impedance for maximum headroom. My cab has either 4 or 16 ohms mino outs and while this rig sounded great at 4ohms, at 16ohms it was pretty much unusable, all the volume and punch was gone. It makes that much of a difference.

I had practice with the Synergy rack today. My Palmer power amp is not here yet and I didn't feel like carrying my Friedman so I just used this small pedal amp I have here. (Playtech GPA100).

Honestly it sounded great. I had no trouble getting over the drummer, actually had plenty of headroom left. The tone was not as good as when using the tube power section but definitely in the right ballpark. If I call the Friedman power section a "10" this wouldve been a "7" and definitely gig worthy.

One thing that is important when using a SS power section is to use the minimum recommended impedance for maximum headroom. My cab has either 4 or 16 ohms mino outs and while this rig sounded great at 4ohms, at 16ohms it was pretty much unusable, all the volume and punch was gone. It makes that much of a difference.

Interesting... I suspect the Playtech GPA100 is identical with the Harley Benton branded unit of the same name.

Never thought these were actually worth using (77€ from Thomann, what could possibly go wrong? :p ), nice to hear your take! ;)

Interesting... I suspect the Playtech GPA100 is identical with the Harley Benton branded unit of the same name.

Never thought these were actually worth using (77€ from Thomann, what could possibly go wrong? :p ), nice to hear your take! ;)
Yeah it's the exact same thing, only difference is it's 120v. The Harley Benton is only sold at 240v so I can't use one in the US, but yes they're the same amp, voltage aside.

It's definitely an usable solution as long as you're loading it at 4ohms.

Yeah it's the exact same thing, only difference is it's 120v. The Harley Benton is only sold at 240v so I can't use one in the US, but yes they're the same amp, voltage aside.

It's definitely an usable solution as long as you're loading it at 4ohms.

Hmm. All my go-to cabs are 8 ohm mono, open-back 2x12 ones, so I'm kinda hesitant.

I'm currently sticking to a Katana mk2 head as a power amp, since it's just portable enough and sounds pretty good, responds nicely etc.

It's just that something like the GPA seems a lot better, portability-wise, of course I'm only curious, definitely not a necessary purchase (yadda yadda, GAS).

The Katana is class A/B, while the GPA is a run-of-the-mill class D, probably ICE? I have my doubts about response and the ever-elusive "feel" factor... Change my mind? ;)

Something like the SD PS variants isn't really an option, since they're sightly above my budget (I'm trying to be strict about mere convenience/fun purchases).

Hmm. All my go-to cabs are 8 ohm mono, open-back 2x12 ones, so I'm kinda hesitant.

I'm currently sticking to a Katana mk2 head as a power amp, since it's just portable enough and sounds pretty good, responds nicely etc.

It's just that something like the GPA seems a lot better, portability-wise, of course I'm only curious, definitely not a necessary purchase (yadda yadda, GAS).

The Katana is class A/B, while the GPA is a run-of-the-mill class D, probably ICE? I have my doubts about response and the ever-elusive "feel" factor... Change my mind? ;)

Something like the SD PS variants isn't really an option, since they're sightly above my budget (I'm trying to be strict about mere convenience/fun purchases).
If you only have 8ohm loads stick with the Katana. I think Katanas sound great at 8ohms.

I'm getting the Palmer 402 in a few days. That one can do 400w @8ohms so I'll post a review.

For the record I think the Seymour Duncan Power Stages are awful (except for the 700, but that's a completely different amp). The GPA is better than that by a lot. But if you don't have a 4ohm load, don't bother with the GPA, IMHO. It will run out of headroom.

As for feel, I don't know.... I felt a small difference in feel but that's comparing it with a Friedman tube power section. So obviously that will be very different.

But the Synergy has that Sag control that helps with it a bit. Overall if felt good and I had no complaints.

If you only have 8ohm loads stick with the Katana. I think Katanas sound great at 8ohms.

I'm getting the Palmer 402 in a few days. That one can do 400w @8ohms so I'll post a review.

For the record I think the Seymour Duncan Power Stages are awful (except for the 700, but that's a completely different amp). The GPA is better than that by a lot. But if you don't have a 4ohm load, don't bother with the GPA, IMHO. It will run out of headroom.

As for feel, I don't know.... I felt a small difference in feel but that's comparing it with a Friedman tube power section. So obviously that will be very different.

But the Synergy has that Sag control that helps with it a bit. Overall if felt good and I had no complaints.

Thanks for the write-up, that's good to know! :D
My only 4 ohms cab is hard-wired into an Ampeg VT-22 combo, definitely not an option to bring/lug anywhere.

I guess you just saved me some cash + nerves, haha!

Got the power amps today. The Synergy5050 was a huge disappointment. Awful sounding power amp. It's going back.

The Palmer on the other hand is excellent!!! Probably the best SS power amp I've played and actually better than a lot of tube power amps too. Definitely a keeper!!!

Quick demo

Got the power amps today. The Synergy5050 was a huge disappointment. Awful sounding power amp. It's going back.

The Palmer on the other hand is excellent!!! Probably the best SS power amp I've played and actually better than a lot of tube power amps too. Definitely a keeper!!!

Quick demo

That's awesome! Congrats on the great find!

Dang I'd like to try one of those out...

Quick demo

Sounds great! That rig looks great as well \m/ Plenty of volume?

Yes definitely. It's a 400w power amp (@8ohm). I am using a 16ohm cab so I am getting 200 w in bridged mono. Definitely as loud as the Runt50 power section, if not louder.
Very nice. I could run one side @200 watts into my 4ohm cab. Does it run pretty hot?

Back