The Suhr Bella saga: It's back! šŸ¤¦

I do. Just a little too used to getting myself in trouble with over-generalizations and blanket statements. :crazy

I had a '68 RI Deluxe Reverb with that V-type and I couldn't get a damn thing out of that amp, and I love
those 60's Fender circuits. Ended up moving on from that amp as a result. :idk

I also changed the cheap 10" Celestions out of my '68 RI Vibrolux. I do love the Legends. Really
want to try a pair of 10" Greenbacks, but I am so over chasing my tone-tail. :brick

20230318_180050.jpg

I am super partial to the Creambacks. Those are my favourite all-around speakers. I don't think they
excel at honing in on those iconic Fender cleans, though. Not my first choice if that was the base
tone I was aiming for. Something Alnico based is what I would assume would be a better fit.

@la szum We do seem to have quite a lot in common actually. I used to have those alnico 1028k speakers in my 2x10, which I sold. Great speakers just the wrong ones for my amp at the time I sold them (perhaps). I should maybe have not have sold them though!

I've also tried A LOT of different speakers in Fender-style amps... as well as actual Fender amps. I'm generally smitten by the 60s circuits too.

I really didn't like the G10 Greenbacks but some people rave about them. The mids just weren't in the right place for me, but of course it depends on the amp, gain and genre as well as personal taste. I sold my G10 greenback to a guy with a Vox amp - probably sounds great in that. They probably work better when in a 4x10 or at least doubled up.

I gotta say though - for iconic Fender stuff these C1025s are really good. Honestly, they would be effin' amazing in a Vibrolux. They're affordably priced and are less sensitive too; so you could probably go a little further up the Volume dial when at home - that's another reason its so great with the Princeton at home.

I played the Neo $-**** a bit more just now. It _is_ pretty good for the Bella. Let's just agree on the notion that you're right about the ceramic version and that this Neo one is a completely different beast haha.

Also agreed: Creambacks are the best all-round speakers in this house too - they are used heavily for Marshall sounds with the Bluguitar Amp1.

Last edited:
Stop! Just stop!

I gotta say though - for iconic Fender stuff these C1025s are really good. Honestly, they would be effin' amazing in a Vibrolux. They affordably priced and are less sensitive too; so you could probably go a little further up the Volume dial when at home - that's another reason its so great with the Princeton at home.

:LOL:

I need to fire up the Vibrolux tonight. It's my always in the Living Room amp right now.

Thanks for the push and inspiration, JD! :beer

$59 a piece here in the States? Made by WGS?

IMO, they are proof that the best speakers aren't always the most expensive ones.

With the C1025s the special sauce is in the cap, I think - it's got a little circle cut out of it. It sounds _very_ vintage.

I am leaning an alnico and a ceramic. Is that wrong?
:idk

It's not wrong, but I already know that the C1025 sounds good and I have no idea if your proposed mix sounds good šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The C1025 is also a very low effeciency speaker so it it most likely won't work with the 1028k (?). It's your amp and your money though! And I'm often wrong about this sort of thing anyway, haha.

I only mentioned the C1060 because it's supposed to be good paired with a C1025 in a Vibrolux (as you've probably just read on the FJ website).

Or else 2 x C1025 wouldn't be too expensive, would it?

I am not a fan of high headroom/watt speakers in this application. :idk

I hear ya. I seek out the lower sensitivity speakers these days. Turns out, that was another contributing cause to me trying to sell the Bella. The G12C/S has a 100 db sensitivity, so it was hard to exercise it properly.

I like the look of the new Midnight series of Jupiters too, for that reason; because they've historically been way to effecient for me.

Last edited:
This is bizarre. The Neo V-Type is growing on me!

Never in my life have I gone out of my way to buy a speaker that I wasn't particularly excited about (why would you do that!?) and then found that it was better than expected haha. :crazy

I can see why the original ceramic V-Type was chosen for the Bella if it's anything like the Neo - the mids are just in the right place with the Bella circuit. It just sounds "right".

Last edited:
The FM9 is fantastic in front of an amp too.

I was wondering what a FM9 paired with a Bella would be like.

Yes, very simple. Only one tube gain stage in the preamp. It's mostly a big bottle power section and stays clean a looong way up the dial with very tight bass.

That sounds like it would be good for Jazz. What do you think?

IMO finding the "perfect" speaker for your amp is a big part of what changes it from "just fine" to "magic". I usually look at what the stock cab uses for ideas what might work well.

That was certainly the case with my Fender George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe. Pairing it with a Celestion Century Vintage Neo made it an absolutely stellar amp for Jazz and everything else I play.
This is bizarre. The Neo V-Type is growing on me!

Never in my life have I gone out of my way to buy a speaker that I wasn't particularly excited about (why would you do that!?) and then found that it was better than expected haha. :crazy

I can see why the original ceramic V-Type was chosen for the Bella if it's anything like the Neo - the mids are just in the right place with the Bella circuit. It just sounds "right".

That's how I felt about the Celestion Century Vintage Neo. I bought it for the light weight but fell in love with it due to its tone.

That sounds like it would be good for Jazz. What do you think?

The Bella is very round, full and warm. My guess is that it could be great for Jazz, depending upon what your Jazz sub-genre is.

Depends how much pick attack you want for your style, I suppose - you might need to soften pick attack with some compression because the Bella can be a little stiff - that's part of its no-flub guarantee. I don't know much about playing Jazz, though - although I do appreciate listening to it.

Back