[Insert Artist’s Name Here]: I just don’t get them.

norminal

Rock Star
Thread is simple. Is there a guitarist, artist, or band that you just “don’t get” or understand why they are so admired by others?

Post the their name and encourage others to offer a rebuttal with details of what makes them so unique, and include an example (song, link, or video with time stamps even) to help you understand what makes them so unique and why they are liked.

For example: Andy Timmons. Don’t get him or his instrumental work?

My rebuttal would be that Andy has incredible phrasing and the ability to tell a story through his playing, using phrases that are almost vocalist-like. The example I would use is the song “When Words Fail” where you can almost imagine someone singing his parts:

Hopefully this thread will help others discover or appreciate guitar players, artists, or bands that they would otherwise write-off or overlook.

I’ll go first. Eric Clapton. I never cared for him or his material. What am I missing? What specific song or part would you say is Clapton in a nutshell and why?

I’ve never dug Clapton’s solo stuff, but I totally dig the shit out of all the Cream I’ve heard. In the grand hall of classic rock guitarists, every other guy does something for me while Clapton just doesn’t.

Sublime is my pick. I‘m pretty sure I get it, I just can’t stand it. I like reggae, it’s not that, it’s just their brand of it.

I love a lot of the Stones they have a huge repertoire so there is a lot to listen
Polyphia dont do it for me either but then I don't like Fluffy slippers Henson
Animals as leaders music either don't do it for me but Tosin is a really nice respectable person
And an amazing player
Another thing that I don't get and totally detest is any Form of hip hop / gangsta rap,
Hippies like Gerry Garcia also grate on my nerves,
Anything else you want me to add?
:D

I love a lot of the Stones they have a huge repertoire so there is a lot to listen
Polyphia dont do it for me either but then I don't like Fluffy slippers Henson
Animals as leaders music either don't do it for me but Tosin is a really nice respectable person
And an amazing player
Another thing that I don't get and totally detest is any Form of hip hop / gangsta rap,
Hippies like Gerry Garcia also grate on my nerves,
Anything else you want me to add?
:D
I think the concept of jam bands is great but I think the musicians who I think "jam" the "hardest" prefer cohesive, purposeful song writing and structure. So as a whole it's a process that's at odds with how my favorite musicians have created, historically speaking.

Back