Innocence Faded Is A Gem!

Thank You For Your Service GIF by Hyper RPG

It's The Astonishing today. Astonishing they made this album, to be honest. :LOL:

It's uhmmmm..... a little overwrought.

I don’t usually get cynical about other peoples creative endeavors… but it’s a little embarrassing that John was going on about how they were in talks to have The Astonishing made into a book, a movie, and a video game.

Stay in your lane John. Stay in your lane.

“My muuuuuuusic player”

I actually have more respect for James after this listening journey. He does
some great things. I also think his voice is more suited to a studio than to
live work. That nasality he has just is not going to project well in a loud and
live environment.

Also, Jordan Rudess wants to be Danny Elfman. Maybe the cinematic elements
are cool to a certain sector of fans. It just sounds out of place to me and someone
trying to be too cute.

I’m one of those who actually likes when he does the Danny self man thing… and stuff like the Dixieland piano thing…

:bag

I like the contrast

I don’t usually get cynical about other peoples creative endeavors… but it’s a little embarrassing that John was going on about how they were in talks to have The Astonishing made into a book, a movie, and a video game.

Stay in your lane John. Stay in your lane.

“My muuuuuuusic player”

Yeah, Michael Jordan wants to play baseball now thing. :idk

I don't think there is anything wrong, inherently, in shooting for the moon. Maybe it would have helped
if the entire concept had not already been done by Rush. :facepalm

I don't think there is anything wrong, inherently, in shooting for the moon. Maybe it would have helped

I agree, and I’m all for people shooting for the moon. I hate to say anything that would hamper anyone’s enthusiasm or creativity… even now I’m thinking I hope John never sees what I just wrote and I’m feeling guilty about it :rofl

But… Brandon Sanderson he is not :sofa

I agree, and I’m all for people shooting for the moon. I hate to say anything that would hamper anyone’s enthusiasm or creativity… even now I’m thinking I hope John never sees what I just wrote and I’m feeling guilty about it :rofl

Petrucci: Battlefield Earth :wat

The Astonishing was so traumatic an experience for me on Wednesday I am having an hard time
of completing my mission of going through the entire Dream Theater catalog. Astonishingly bad. :sofa

You are making me think that some kind of Prog Rock/Sci-Fi authour pairing would be something
cool for someone to pull off someday. Maybe it could even get worked up into a screenplay and
die somewhere Off Broadway. :LOL:

One would have to get away from the trope that music has been outlawed by a Totalitarian Regime
and then a young musician (Messiah!) saves the world.

A really cool Beatles 🍓 derived progression with harmonies in this song. John's tones are TIGHT! :rawk

One would have to get away from the trope that music has been outlawed by a Totalitarian Regime
and then a young musician (Messiah!) saves the world.

Now I’m trying to remember the story.

A dictator of an oppressive totalitarian regime has banned and outlawed all music from the land. And they send flying robots around that play electronic machine music apparently everyone is forced to listen to?

But his daughter loves music and secretly listens to it on an ancient iPod she discovered.

He finds out and is furious, but then his wife reminds him when he was a child he used to love music and he remembers and has a change of heart. Then reveals the iPod was his as a child.

And it turns out he was actually a good guy after all and he lifts the ban on music and they all live happily ever after.

Oh wait! Except doesn’t the brother try to assassinate his father and accidentally kill his sister instead?

Speaking of Distance Over Time, I wonder if Barstool Warrior is something John has been sitting on since the Kevin Moore days, it's a song that could easily have been on IAW or Awake. The piano progression here has Moore ALL over it. Love that song.
When I first heard it I got instant goosebumps and IAW flashbacks on the songwriting, their best song in a long, long time.

Back