Innocence Faded Is A Gem!

I think Awake was when he started using Mesa exclusively, and I think it’s where he first started using a Dual Rec for some rhythm parts. Probably played a big part in it having that 90s Nu-Metal vibe in places

Yup. The Rectifier took everyone by storm. :love

I was kind of surprised how thick some of those tones
were on Awake---especially the riffing and aggressive
rhythm sections. I don't recall thinking that back in the
day.

I liked the splashes of funk rhythm here and there on Falling Into Infinity. :chef

Man, how did I not notice the huge shift in Petrucci's tone from
Awake/FII-era to Metropolis? Lot tighter. More defined. Sick! :rawk

It's interesting all the drummers who tried out for DT after Portnoy left...

Drums were my main instrument growing up in the 90's and I read every Modern Drummer I could find. I remember reading about Mike Mangini and how he was basically ambidextrous playing just about anything in any time signature, and had a crazy symmetrical drumset.

Because I didn't have any frame of reference, I actually thought he was Italian, like from Italy! There was no YouTube and guys like that weren't on the radio or TV, and of course no music streaming so I had no idea what any of them sounded like (because I wasn't going to drop $15-20 on random fusion CD's).

But the drummers who auditioned were like a who's who of drummers' drummers from the 90's (Mangini, Minneman, Donati, Lang). Practically all they were missing was like Dave Weckl and Dennis Chambers.

Haha! 4 down and 11 to go. :LOL:

Just started Metropolis. Trying to do 2 albums per day. I wonder if some of my
assumptions and prior thoughts and feelings will be changed. :idk

Noticing an huge shift in Petrucci's tones from Awake/Falling to Metroplis.

Oh, and I agree Portnoy was indispensable to what Dream Theater was, and
Mike just doesn't have that same skill set. Portnoy is a drummer/musician/arranger/
producer, and Mangini is kind of just a drummer---a damn good one.
Wow, 2 per day! You'll be dreaming about DT!

It's interesting all the drummers who tried out for DT after Portnoy left...

Drums were my main instrument growing up in the 90's and I read every Modern Drummer I could find. I remember reading about Mike Mangini and how he was basically ambidextrous playing just about anything in any time signature, and had a crazy symmetrical drumset.

Because I didn't have any frame of reference, I actually thought he was Italian, like from Italy! There was no YouTube and guys like that weren't on the radio or TV, and of course no music streaming so I had no idea what any of them sounded like (because I wasn't going to drop $15-20 on random fusion CD's).

But the drummers who auditioned were like a who's who of drummers' drummers from the 90's (Mangini, Minneman, Donati, Lang). Practically all they were missing was like Dave Weckl and Dennis Chambers.

Kenny Aronoff

I always think of him when I think of 90s drummers

I liked the splashes of funk rhythm here and there on Falling Into Infinity. :chef
Just Let Me Breathe is such a fun song to play! In a few places he uses a 5-note, repeating pattern, which can be tricky as hell to keep straight!
Like from here to 3:56.

The ascending riff isn't too bad (this is one time I wish I had a 7-string because it would greatly help with the position shift), but the one following, where's doing pull-offs on the low string to open, then repeating it up an octave, is a brain teaser!

Which is one of the reasons I like to learn DT/LTE/JP songs, like some people do crossword puzzles to exercise their brain.

Wow, 2 per day! You'll be dreaming about DT!

Haha! I am caving. Too. Many. Notes. :brick

I made it through Metropolis and Six Degrees today. There is some super-cheesy, Danny Elfman
style movie score stuff on Six Degrees, but I hung in there and did not skip a song. I am making

some Bread this afternoon, so it served as some decent background music. :chef

Haha! I am caving. Too. Many. Notes. :brick

I made it through Metropolis and Six Degrees today. There is some super-cheesy, Danny Elfman
style movie score stuff on Six Degrees, but I hung in there and did not skip a song. I am making

some Bread this afternoon, so it served as some decent background music. :chef
I figured you have to be making it background music. Even 1 album is like, overload.

And what about the 3 LTE and 2 JP solo records? Can't leave them out.

I figured you have to be making it background music. Even 1 album is like, overload.

And what about the 3 LTE and 2 JP solo records? Can't leave them out.

Yeah, that's asking a bit much. :LOL:

Takeaways from Metropolis Pt. 2 and Six Degrees is James LaBrie not sounding too bad.
I actually enjoyed his performances on both. :idk

Have band practice in a few, so can't listen today and continue.

I also need to research John's move from Recto-series Mesas to the Mark IV.

I really need to go through the entire DT catalog again in chronological order. This is something I enjoy
doing with artists and their catalogs.

Hey, I do this, too. :beer Great way to really hear and study a band/artist's development over time.

It's actually how I became a bonafide Rush fan. Always appreciated and had a soft spot for them, growing up near Toronto, but wasn't an actual fan until I listened to every album in order, over about a week's time, to prep for seeing them live. But I also do it from time to time with my longtime favourites, too (ZZ, VH, LZ, ACDC, for example).

Anyway, back to the DT love. I enjoyed their first album when it came out, but didn't get past that one. Will check out the stuff in this thread.

Hey, I do this, too. :beer Great way to really hear and study a band/artist's development over time.

It's actually how I became a bonafide Rush fan. Always appreciated and had a soft spot for them, growing up near Toronto, but wasn't an actual fan until I listened to every album in order, over about a week's time, to prep for seeing them live. But I also do it from time to time with my longtime favourites, too (ZZ, VH, LZ, ACDC, for example).

Anyway, back to the DT love. I enjoyed their first album when it came out, but didn't get past that one. Will check out the stuff in this thread.

Awesome!! It is something I have only recently done. Started with my love of Michael Schenker. It's fun
and insightful, and has me changing some of my thoughts, assumptions, and feelings about what I thought
I knew. :LOL:

I need to do this with Rush after DT. On Album 7 now, Train Of Thought. I am hearing things I thought I
already heard. Maybe my memories are not as reliable as I thought. :idk

Train is definitely the MOST aggressive, dark, and heavy album up to this point in their careers.
Holy shit! They sound pissed off about something. :satan
:cuss

Yes it was!! FII was my intro to DT, and still holds a very special place for me. Plus Derek is a big Elton John fan, which I am too, and I could hear a bit of his influence in the music. Like Anna Lee.

Isn't that a James LaBrie song..... music and lyrics? Looks like James has only written a smattering of songs in his
tenure with the band---and all of them are Piano Ballads by my count. :idk

Man, want straight up heavy as fuck DT (as heavy as they can get) listen to Train Of Thought.

Might be my new favourite DT Album. :sofa

Isn't that a James LaBrie song..... music and lyrics? Looks like James has only written a smattering of songs in his
tenure with the band---and all of them are Piano Ballads by my count. :idk
I'd have to look it up, but I don't recall him ever writing any music. Dude gets to stay out of the studio until it's time for vocals (I'm not saying he always does, but I have seen videos where it's just the 4 of them banging out ideas), doesn't contribute much in the way of lyrics, and can leave the stage during the intense jams. I've often wondered if he gets an equal share of the touring proceeds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back