IK Multimedia TONEX

Ugh. Bit hungover.

But yeah, from my quick experience yesterday.... the tone is pretty close. It took me about 30-35 minutes to do an advanced capture yesterday. I had to coble together a DI box working in reverse to push the amp, so it's pointless posting any A/B comparisons of that.

But I have an Antelope Discrete 8 Pro, with built-in reamp outputs, so I may connect that up later and use it to get a more transparent signal path, so that the capture is better.

But even the amateur quickshit one I did yesterday of my VH4... the tone and feel were really good to be honest. Much nicer to play than the Kemper. Fairly similar to the Quad Cortex.

I'll dig in more and maybe make a video or two.

IMHO, this stuff lives and dies on the captures. There are so many wank Kemper profiles out there (can't stand the MBritt stuff) that just ruin the user experience. Having said that, I've never been able to do a Kemper profile that was 1:1 with the amp. Quad Cortex was much closer to the amp, and my gut feel based on my 1st impressions yesterday is that ToneX will be too.

Okay, so I just did a capture of my VH4. Here are the clips. Real amp and ToneX:

There are definitely differences, but they don't annoy me as much as the Kemper did. I quite like this tbh!

No, I need to get it setup. The reamping thing is a PITA in my home studio setup I probably won’t get to it until next week or so.
Ah yeah. I’ve yet to hear one of their demos that the actual tone is good. But the closeness of the sounds seems there. For example, when they released the Rectifier clip, I found it remarkable how close their shitty model sounded to their shitty real amp clip. :LOL: they might be great with software, but they can’t dial in Mesas for shit.

I just did a dual amp capture. JVM410HJS on Crunch Red, into my Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 with an SM57. That was one microphone. The other was the Diezel VH4 into the Marshall JCM800 Lead 1960 cab, with a Sennheiser 421 on it.

There are differences, sure. But it sounds really good, and feels really good to play too.

Added the comparison clips here:

And the capture is here:

I just did a dual amp capture. JVM410HJS on Crunch Red, into my Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 with an SM57. That was one microphone. The other was the Diezel VH4 into the Marshall JCM800 Lead 1960 cab, with a Sennheiser 421 on it.

There are differences, sure. But it sounds really good, and feels really good to play too.

And the capture is here:
I thinking it compares quite favorably to my ears?

I thinking it compares quite favorably to my ears?
I really like it tbh. No fuzzy crap palm mutes like the Kemper, no clear high-end roll off like the Quad Cortex. I think I can hear some differences, but it really is subtle.

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the Amplitube amps. ToneX makes Amplitube useful for me. I put together a preset 30mins ago where I had a compressor and memory man before the amp, and then a memory man after the amp. Came up with this:

I don't think there is really anything to complain about with that tone!

I’d say it’s definitely good enough.

Will really be interesting if they introduce a small inexpensive Tonex Model player pedal at some point in the not too distant future.

And the capture is here:
Sounds close enough for rock and roll.

I’d say it’s definitely good enough.

Will really be interesting if they introduce a small inexpensive Tonex Model player pedal at some point in the not too distant future.
A billionty bucks says they’ll just direct you to an iPad and their Stomp IO bippity boppity wonder pedal.

1664741127077.png

100% power usage on the ol' GPU!!!!

Funnily enough I always thought the bassist from Circa Survive looked like Linus.

Back