IK Multimedia Tone X One?

For those who're still in need of a simple/small amp sim/capture player solution for their boards, I guess this is pretty good and very affordably priced.

Especially being able to load two profiles and switch between them like amp channels, e.g. switching between stuff like Fender cleans and Mesa dirt, and much more.

Nothing that can't be done with a modeler, of course, but if you for some reason prefer dedicated preamps, this would save a lot of space compared to using an A/B switcher and two pedals.

At less than 200 bucks, this is big news.

The software sure is a load of shite, but if you know what you're doing (and aren't a big tweaker) you shouldn't have to go through that hell too often. 😁

Screenshot_20240424-084459_1.png

:facepalm

Screenshot_20240424-084459_2.png

That's what she said. :rofl

Pedals have gotten kinda crazy. Yesterday I figured out the CIOKS 4 Expander can be powered by a USB powerbank and I was running fairly demanding pedals (Strymon, SA) off this little powerbank I bought from Japan. Played for maybe 30 minutes just to try it out and it only ate about 25% of the powerbank's capacity. With a larger powerbank you could easily get through a whole gig like that!
Oh, easily. I forget how many hours my HX Stomp runs on its tiny BoxKing battery, but it's hours and hours. My QC is running on a larger laptop battery for ~17 hours at a stretch! (And you can charge the battery inline while you're using the QC, if the need arises.) I assume both the Stomp and the QC are pulling a lot more current than e.g. a ToneX One; far more than a collection of analog pedals on a board. (I'm guessing HX Stomp is comparable to Strymon, etc?)

Last edited:
I have an angel and a devil on each of my shoulders. One saying "that look like what you were looking for when the original Tonex pedal came out!" and the other saying "dont you remember how much of a time suck and total shit-box that software was?"

Maybe if I can pick up a used one for around $100 -$130 in a few months, it will be worth trying (getting pissed off) again...
All of this LOL.

Actually at least the setting up the dual mode , pulling in your presets and assigning Colors in the editor looked tons better
If you have curated a group of 10 presets you love and don’t have to deep dive through the searching captures
I mean it’s pretty cool
2 capture , recording out
Head phones , rev , comp
Gate , tuner For $180
That’s a lot of bang for the buck especially for musicians on the road or in hotels
It is pretty cool, all told. But let's be honest regarding "reverb" and "comp". These really demand air quotes. :D

:farley

I listened to the Ola demo on the road this morning and it just really has nothing drawing me in. The size is fine I guess but the rest of it is such a historical gross fest I just have no excitement for it.

Edited for self
:blanket
I wouldn't expect these brave advancements in miniaturization to significantly compel a guy who once put a Kemper Toaster on his pedalboard. Sideways.

:beer

I don't expect anything "robustly functional" or all encompassing from IK so not surprised at that at all.
I hate the trendy-around-here term "table stakes", but MIDI was allegedly obsolete in the '90s. It might be time for IK to step up. ;)

A pedal that can sound like any amp in the world, but only one of them tonight. That's like a convenience store that's open 24 hours, but not in a row.

To be fair to IK, UA hasn’t figured out midi either. :ROFLMAO:

Realistically the vast majority of consumers probably just want a Fender clean and a Marshall crunch and they’re done.

I don’t think you can look at a mini pedal as some comprehensive solution for anything. This is either meant to be chucked on the end of small pedalboard, an amp extender, or a if nothing else just a cheap gateway curiosity.

To be fair to IK, UA hasn’t figured out midi either. :ROFLMAO:

Realistically the vast majority of consumers probably just want a Fender clean and a Marshall crunch and they’re done.

I don’t think you can look at a mini pedal as some comprehensive solution for anything. This is either meant to be chucked on the end of small pedalboard, an amp extender, or a if nothing else just a cheap gateway curiosity.
To be fair some more, I still haven't bothered to figure out whether that switch can be used to flip between two profiles captures grr models, or whether it's just a bypass for one. Some comments imply it can do both? I can definitely see the utility of Clean and Crunch, or Crunch and Crunch with Boost, or whatever suits the material.

Cheap curiosities... I've got my share of those, and this might wind up on the pile before all's said and done.

Last edited:
This thing is really cool. I’m not that interested in captures, but the form factor, capture quality, and price of this is unlike anything before it.

I don’t understand the crying about midi. Look at this thing. MIDI is impossible. Just get the original larger pedal that has that. And if it doesn’t fit on your board, you need a larger board they don’t need to make a different pedal…

For so little money and space, I might pick one up eventually just to give captures a fair shake.

D

This thing is really cool. I’m not that interested in captures, but the form factor, capture quality, and price of this is unlike anything before it.

I don’t understand the crying about midi. Look at this thing. MIDI is impossible. Just get the original larger pedal that has that. And if it doesn’t fit on your board, you need a larger board they don’t need to make a different pedal…

For so little money and space, I might pick one up eventually just to give captures a fair shake.

D
Wouldn't call it impossible. It's totally possible via the USB connection. Some basic programming/electronics skills are required though.

Back