I don't get the Dumble thing

Closest I’ve played is a friend’s Fuchs Blackjack 21. Not exactly a Dumble but similar topology scaled down to a 6v6 power section. I thought it was pretty cool. A unique voicing for sure. Definitely in the hot rodded Fender camp. I don’t know if it’s a voicing I’d use a lot but it’s a cool sound. Would I love to play the real thing? Sure. Will it happen in my lifetime? Probably not lol. But some folks love those amps and the derivatives thereof.

The Dumble of pickles:

fried-pickles-3.jpg
But where's the deep fried crystal lettuce? :hmm

1966 a young Howard Dumble stumbled out of an all you can eat buffet and heard an old beatnik playing guitar on a street corner out of tiny horrible sounding amplifier. He waddled up to the beatnik and asked him to play Mustang Sally, a new R&B song that was somewhere in the low teens on the billboard charts. Howard was disgusted with the tones coming from the amp to the point he couldn't even enjoy his favorite song.

Frustrated and angry he ambled back to his lair and started building an amplifier out of old parts laying around his mom's basement. Soon his creation was alive. It didn't sound very good though because it was made out of an old refridgerator and parts of a Ford. Howard got so angry he had to eat three sub sandwiches to calm his nerves. Near the point of tears he was inspired.

His friend owned a Fender Bassman amp. All he needed to do was take it apart and see how it worked. Of course, after he got half way through the deconstruction he realised he couldn't remember how to put it back together. In a panic he quickly restored it to the best condition he could, after taking a quick hot dog break of course. Once back together the Fender sounded completely different.... Instead of clean it had a new sound. Tain. With this new found tain sound Dumble went on to build several more amplifiers including the one copied by the guy who taught Tag the secrets of tone.

giphy.gif

AAA+++ would read again

Well, I have never played a Dumble and doubt that I ever will have such an opportunity ;~(( I also am probably the least experienced amp user here! But I can tell you this. Of all the amps I have tried, the ODS-100 Clean in the Axe FXIII has become my favorite amp ever, and when I found out about this amp (via Wes Hauch GOT 2023 preset), I had no idea what it was, but when I heard it, I knew I had found my home base!! I even set up a preset with all my other favorite amps (FAS Buttery, Diamante Fire, FAS Class A, Band Commander, Ruby Rocket, Bludojai and Blankenship Leads) and did a side by side to confirm. I can and do throw sh!t at it on a regular basis and it still smells like roses every time ;~)) I have been pairing it at times with the USA Mk IV Rhythm 1 for some extra bite, but if I had to choose 1 out of the hundreds of amps in the FAS world, the ODS-100 Clean would be it ;~))

Not true.
Because SRV dumped ALL of his booger sugar
into a 5th of Jack or any handle bottle of booze,
within reach and would down the entire thing.
He also would buy up ALL the booger sugar in the town he was at on tour and do ALL of it at once.
That’s how hard Stevie went.
SRV also played 9’s his last year of playing due to chronic arthritis in his hands.
Where do you think all the poisons in the cut went to he was hoofing?
-in his spine & joints.
The last straw (no pun),
was he would have bouts of random blood tears/drops from his eyes.
Stevie went hard but you know who went harder??
Gary Moore. THE BEAST of beasts.
Just remember bro.. a "lethal dose" is the same thing as a "lifetime supply".

:farley

Closest I’ve played is a friend’s Fuchs Blackjack 21. Not exactly a Dumble but similar topology scaled down to a 6v6 power section. I thought it was pretty cool. A unique voicing for sure. Definitely in the hot rodded Fender camp. I don’t know if it’s a voicing I’d use a lot but it’s a cool sound. Would I love to play the real thing? Sure. Will it happen in my lifetime? Probably not lol. But some folks love those amps and the derivatives thereof.
I've got a Fuchs Lucky 7 MkII and a 4 Aces, both of the Blackjack series. Not a lot of clean headroom but their clean channels are quite fine. The overdrive is typical of a mid 1980s Dumble ODS, which is something I love. Both feature a simplistic but extremely good effects loops.

Poor Andy has to compete with his own success these days. There's a lot of used amps available.

Here is my 4 watter. The bottom has a 12" Neo Creamback.

Attachments

• 20240314_225012-1.jpg
    20240314_225012-1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
if the clipping recipe was common knowledge it could be replicated cheaply, but the recipe is complex (not difficult) and not documented, REsearch necessary to extract the recipe (Gramaticooooo). if the clipping recipe to get the Rectifier buzz out of a Marshall (Morin) was common knowledge, rectifier and SLO would be wholly redundant, but nobody know how, so "rectifier" sound remains "valuable" and "unique", because u can't get it without a rectifier. except all the "rectifier" recordings... AREN'T o_O

1000131443.jpg

if the clipping recipe was common knowledge it could be replicated cheaply, but the recipe is complex (not difficult) and not documented, REsearch necessary to extract the recipe
There are sites dedicated to nothing but cloning Dumble circuits..

It ain't witchcraft.. it's audio circuit design :cop

AMZ0tzl.jpg

92kPCNl.jpg

Back