….

Well Dave and company hit it out of the park with the IR-X, so if he did more digital ventures, that would be intriguing. It's all about his business partner though...I think the Two Notes stuff that he did with Michael Nielsen were very good, as well as the Kemper profiles.

I don't blame him for being ticked off that people are reverse engineering his products in the digital world, or for trying to find ways to capture some of that revenue.

I like Dave and his amps, but I’m not turning to him as an authority in the digital realm. Of course he does a great deal of toeing the line between his love of amps and fear of modeling, but I give him credit for knocking it out of the park with the IRX. I think BAD gets it, with the release of the Astro right on the heels of the IRX. Ignoring digital and modern gear preferences is going to eventually leave some behind.

I knew Friedman’s name as a rig builder long before he even started making amps and the guy’s a wealth of knowledge when it comes to that stuff.

I tend to think of Marshall then Friedman and Bogner as doing the two different versions of modded Marshalls and both are kinda doin’ what Marshall should have been.

I had a BE100 Deluxe and it was a phenomenal amp. I dare say the best amp I've ever owned or even tried. Expensive AF though. I reached out to ask a few questions and Dave was quick to respond and seemed friendly enough. Kinda cool that he does all the CS stuff for his own company. I also owned a matching 4x12 which was awesome. More recently I tried an IR-X which was a solid product as well. So my experience, though limited, tells me Friedman knows how to make some really good products.

With that said, I've also listened to some Tone Talk videos and while there's some good stuff in there, my own experience with modelers (which is a lot more than my experience with Friedman gear) tells me he knows a lot less about modelers than analog amps. Him saying he doesn't like a certain modeler carries no weight with me.

Kijda funny side note/thought/speculation: I bet he'd get less pushback if he'd said Fractal sounds great and QC sounded honky. He'd still be wrong making that general statement though as I've heard all the top tier stuff (Fractal, Helix, Kemper, QC) sound excellent. I've also heard it all sound like shit so.... 🤷🏾‍♂️

That sounds dirty. :love
giphy.gif

I still owe Dave a thanks for entertaining my dumbass, drunk questions fairly consistently back in the 00’s. :rofl

Tbh what puts me off Friedman is his amp-naming conventions. It's like a 14 y/o boy was asked to provide names. Great amps, though.
Never understood why people give a shit about what he names his amp, tbh. I think it is more juvenile to care to the point of not wanting to buy one even though you like the tones.

It could be a lot of things:
  • Pushing for another product that is coming out.
  • Pushing his own products.
  • Fears of modelers taking his work and doing a too good job at emulating his amps.
  • Adamant belief in the superiority of all tube amps.
We have a lot of people who are knowledgeable about various subjects but we should not consider them infallible, without bias etc.

Yup. One of my favourite sayings is, "No one is smart enough to be right all the time,
and no one is dumb enough to be wrong all the time."

It's all statistics and probabilities man! :LOL:

Well, after listening to Tone Talk twice this week, Friedman has now shit talked Fractal at least once, and plugged Neural at least twice, saying the Quad Cortex is the "best modeler out there".

Friedman supposedly cares about the detail like pot tapers, tolerances, turret board thickness, vacuum tube quality, etc. a true tube amp connoisseur that really knows his stuff.
How the fuck did he flip form one end to the other that quickly?

Oh Hey Benjamin.... I didn't see you there, I was busy pre-influencing my audience into buying my upcoming NDSP collab.

benjamin.jpg

Back