….

That’s my least favorite go-to in all the world. Especially when I haven’t seen any kind of evidence there’s actually a deal between Friedman and NDSP.
I get that. For various reasons, starting with some video at the launch of the mic no mo, in combination with his (wildly overpriced) pedalboards and ""FRFR"" stuff, further supported by his always-willing-to-talk-to-anyone; almost-always-speaking-inconsistently-with-other-things-he's-said-in-other-interviews/podcasts/products he sells, also combined with my experience owning a dirty shirley mini (power supply so poorly filtered that it is the one and only piece of gear I've gotten lots of line hum from at my house, remedied by even the lowest budget $20 "power conditioner" from Staples), I've always placed Dave about a 1/2 step above Mason MargagoragoraVertexEffects dude.

Well, after listening to Tone Talk twice this week, Friedman has now shit talked Fractal at least once, and plugged Neural at least twice, saying the Quad Cortex is the "best modeler out there".
I'm curios to give this a listen. Are these the two most recent episodes?

Well, after listening to Tone Talk twice this week, Friedman has now shit talked Fractal at least once, and plugged Neural at least twice, saying the Quad Cortex is the "best modeler out there".

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I bet he's working with Neural on a Friedman plug-in, as Mesa has, and notably fellow BAD stablemate Soldano has, as well as Fortin.

It kinda makes sense, I suppose. They could do a BE/Dirty Shirley/Buxom Betty plugin.
Dave has all my respect, he has golden ears. To say that about the QC would only mean that you are right other wise he wouldn't have said it as Fractal sounds and feels way better than the QC.

I’d be really curious if Dave is comparing captures to models and I suspect his interest in the QC may be reallated more to the capture aspect than the modeling.
I'm assuming this but who knows. He said good things in the past about the Helix Friedman model which is also excellent.

My guess either way is its down to user error on his part. Why would Dave spend any considerable amount of time learning how to use ANY modeller? Weird honk could be as simple as his clients setting master volumes too high or doing weird things. There's a lot of scope for things to sound off, could well be Helix and QC are a bit more idiot proof?

I think as far as some kind of licenced plugin goes, its either IK, Brainworx again, NDSP, or someone like ML/Mixwave swooping in (very unlikely). Out of those options NDSP would be far be the best choice, it would sound as good as the Fractal or Helix model, look the part, be idiot proof, and sell shitloads.

The Neural Mark IIC+ is awful.
as in the plugin? whats awful about it? I kind of wish they used a different load but I think it gives a pretty solid experience of using a Mark amp in a plugin (where the options are basically just IK or NDSP). We're hardly spoiled for choice with IIC+ plugins.

They already did something with Brainworx, so I think it would depend on their contract there and how easy it is to do something else.

Brainworx kind of fudged the BE100 IMO, I really wish that was a better model (even though it looks fantastic). The Dirty Shirley is OK, not sure I've used the Buxon Betty for more than about 5 minutes.

Given the possible companies out there who are able to offer officially licensed plugin models, is there a better option (for both sides) than NDSP?
As you know, I'm not the biggest Brainworx fan at all. All of their amp sims sound utterly cack to me.

Wasn’t he one of the earliest amp-makers to “officially” work with FAS on their models? (And hence the proper Friedman moniker in FAS products)

Wonder what happened to him since? My guess is that he just wants to go back to the 80s like a lot of his clients, and modellers are a reminder that there is no time like the present. It’s a bit like Lee Anderton although Lee is a bit more self-aware.

Wasn’t he one of the earliest amp-makers to “officially” work with FAS on their models? (And hence the proper Friedman moniker in FAS products)

Wonder what happened to him since? My guess is that he just wants to go back to the 80s like a lot of his clients, and modellers are a reminder that there is no time like the present. It’s a bit like Lee Anderton although Lee is a bit more self-aware.

This is purely assumption, but I’d be willing to bet that all occurred when Mark Day was working at Tone Merchants and it may have been a “Hey Dave, what do ya think of handing over some schematics for Fractal to make a Friedman model?” and who knows what happened after that. I don’t believe Fractal would be using the Friedman name if it didn’t come with some form of blessing.

I don’t believe Fractal would be using the Friedman name if it didn’t come with some form of blessing.
That’s what I’ve always thought as well. Which is what makes me wonder what happened that he’s been bad-mouthing the Axe Fx in recent years. The most obvious answer to me is the simple one: nostalgia.

Ok, so the term golden ears does not resonate with you guys. How about a killer ears for that "modded Marshall" tones?
what does this mean? “Dave Friedman really knows which amps to copy”?

That’s like saying “Behringer had a killer eye for those ‘products that could be made and sold for much cheaper than the original maker is doing it’l

• Haha
Reactions: JT
what does this mean? “Dave Friedman really knows which amps to copy”?

That’s like saying “Behringer had a killer eye for those ‘products that could be made and sold for much cheaper than the original maker is doing it’l
Wow, didn't know some of you have an issue with Friedman amps!

Wow, didn't know some of you have an issue with Friedman amps!
Meh, not wildly against Friedman amps. The dirty Shirley mini I had sounded great - really good master volume Marshall tones - once I got the him sorted.

I just found your reverential statement to be utter nonsense.

His amps are fine. After all, they’re not exactly original Anyway. I just he personally is a bit of an arrogant douche.
Well, I don't know him personally but as a customer he has always been nothing short of amazing to deal with over this past few years I've bought Friedman products, he even sent me a free custom made face plate for my Runt 50 mod proyect.

52946641168_120585527b_h.jpg

I’d break someone else’s leg for a JJ and/or Butterslax….or a HBE!

• Haha
Reactions: JT
Damnit.....I like Friedman amps in real life, even though I've only played BE100 (various revisions).

That being said, there are soooooo many amp makers in that space putting their spin on "modded Marshalls" these days. Hard to stand out any more. Honestly, my fave - despite the ungodly noise - might be an "official" one: JVM410.

That’s what I’ve always thought as well. Which is what makes me wonder what happened that he’s been bad-mouthing the Axe Fx in recent years. The most obvious answer to me is the simple one: nostalgia.
It could be a lot of things:
  • Pushing for another product that is coming out.
  • Pushing his own products.
  • Fears of modelers taking his work and doing a too good job at emulating his amps.
  • Adamant belief in the superiority of all tube amps.
We have a lot of people who are knowledgeable about various subjects but we should not consider them infallible, without bias etc.

Back