Hybrid Pedalboard with Friedman IR-X, HX Stomp, and Analog Pedals

Jarick

Rock Star
Been on a mini pedal kick lately, collecting some analog versions of pedals I really enjoy in modelers. Was running those into my Orange Rocker 15, but then got to thinking about my Friedman IR-X. My current Metro 20 board doesn't really fit anything other than 1-2 big pedals, so think I might trade in that and a pedal or two towards a Classic Jr for a proper dual row board.

This would be a hybrid board with analog drives into the analog/tube Friedman preamp, then into the HX Effects for time based effects, and finally into my Blackstar Amped 1 flat power amp and Orange 1x12 cabinet. Likely would just use the cleanish Plexi channel of the IR-X.

Image 7-22-24 at 9.39 AM.jpg

That's how I use my Stomp XL now.
Analog drives into XL for modulation and time effects, some presets with an Amp and IR.

Picked up the Classic Jr, might start assembling later. Also had to order a couple splitters as I’ve maxed out spots but I have a lot of analog drives that could daisy chain so shouldn’t be an issue I think.

I could never pick one or the other! This is pretty much routed normally, but I am using both of my Atlas channels. I go into the Atlas straight from my guitar through all my drives, but then I take the output of my last drive and run it back into the Atlas, then to the input of the HX. The Altas gives me Comp, eq and a gate before and after my drives setup like this. I am fine with the HX Stomp amp sims.

Attachments

• myboard.png
    myboard.png
    979.3 KB · Views: 9
Been on a mini pedal kick lately, collecting some analog versions of pedals I really enjoy in modelers. Was running those into my Orange Rocker 15, but then got to thinking about my Friedman IR-X. My current Metro 20 board doesn't really fit anything other than 1-2 big pedals, so think I might trade in that and a pedal or two towards a Classic Jr for a proper dual row board.

This would be a hybrid board with analog drives into the analog/tube Friedman preamp, then into the HX Effects for time based effects, and finally into my Blackstar Amped 1 flat power amp and Orange 1x12 cabinet. Likely would just use the cleanish Plexi channel of the IR-X.

View attachment 25484
Omg that looks really cool.

Does the IRX do cleans good to?

Great setup!

I know the Amped line's power amp has a current feedback design with a low speaker‑damping factor. Do you notice a difference in "feel" and speaker response with it vs other solid state power amps? I quite like that about the Quilter I'm using as a power amp right now, and I've been looking at the Amped 1 as a louder alternative (I'm just using a Super Block atm).

EDIT: oh, also, are you using the IR-X power amp sim with the Amped, and do you have the Amped's power amp response set to Linear? Thank you!

Last edited:
Great setup!

I know the Amped line's power amp has a current feedback design with a low speaker‑damping factor. Do you notice a difference in "feel" and speaker response with it vs other solid state power amps? I quite like that about the Quilter I'm using as a power amp right now, and I've been looking at the Amped 1 as a louder alternative (I'm just using a Super Block atm).

EDIT: oh, also, are you using the IR-X power amp sim with the Amped, and do you have the Amped's power amp response set to Linear? Thank you!

Hi!

I just sold the HX Effects by they way…this setup is No longer!

The different tube types do change the low end feel and response and overall EQ, and switching so something like KT88 can make an otherwise flat sounding amp sim much better. Typically I keep it flat and linear though.

Same with the IRX, it sounds more less like a modeler and flat/linear is good.

I haven’t used a lot of other solid state power amps but I like the Amped quite a bit. I’m tempted to try something like the Orange Pedal Baby or get a Super Crush to compare.

I just put together something similar, just because it’s been a while since I’ve run a traditional pedalboard.

1725137848354.jpeg

I just put together something similar, just because it’s been a while since I’ve run a traditional pedalboard.

View attachment 27623
I love how the " just put this together" board, just happens to be one of the best boards I've seen all week ...this is an all star board sir ...a cornucopia of sounds.... seriously though, if this is your throw together board....just put the junk in a box and send it to me 😝

Last edited:
I love how the " just put this together" board, just happens to be one of the best boards I've seen all week ...this is an all star bard sir ...a cornucopia of sounds.... seriously though, if this is your throw together board....just put the junk in a box and send it to me 😝

A few of the pedals were recently purchased specifically for this project (the BE OD, Ages OD, and Clockworks delay), but the other stuff has been in and out of rotation through the years.

Hi!

I just sold the HX Effects by they way…this setup is No longer!

The different tube types do change the low end feel and response and overall EQ, and switching so something like KT88 can make an otherwise flat sounding amp sim much better. Typically I keep it flat and linear though.

Same with the IRX, it sounds more less like a modeler and flat/linear is good.

I haven’t used a lot of other solid state power amps but I like the Amped quite a bit. I’m tempted to try something like the Orange Pedal Baby or get a Super Crush to compare.

Thank you so much for the answer!

So if I understand correctly you have the power amp sim off on the IR-X too? Interesting!

And yeah, I'm kinda between the Orange Pedal Baby, the Amped 1, the Quilter 101 Reverb, and the Quilter Tone Block 202 (most expensive of the four) to upgrade my Super Block for this use. I like that all of these (presumably including the Amped 1) impart some character when pushing a speaker (I figure if I want something more transparent, I'd just go with that Behringer A800 that people like). The Pedal Baby was my first choice, but I really like how my Quilter interacts with a speaker--I really do feel the response difference is noticeable! And I like that the Amped 1 apparently does it the same....but I don't have a lot of experience with other solid state power amps either, so who knows if I'm just imagining it haha.

Back