Help me choose a plexi tube preamp!

Well done! May I ask what you used as power amp sim? Because the Helix has none of its own. I had very good results using the Room 40 into the Texas Cali model. And also which IR you have used?

I used TPA-1 by Ignite Amps. It's free!

This is through the Mercuriall Ampbox Power amp sim and cab.

I used TPA-1 by Ignite Amps. It's free!
Understood. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a hardware device that does anything similar. If you have a preamp pedal it’s hard to properly apply power amp simulation other than using a real power amp.

I beg to differ
Understood. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a hardware device that does anything similar. If you have a preamp pedal it’s hard to properly apply power amp simulation other than using a real power amp.
Yes but imo it doesn’t really need that. You can boost upper bass/ low mids a little and treble 8-10k if you need add presence. You can even add a parallel path, band pass that frequency and add a bit o distorsion in that range.

Yes but imo it doesn’t really need that. You can boost upper bass/ low mids a little and treble 8-10k if you need add presence. You can even add a parallel path, band pass that frequency and add a bit o distorsion in that range.

Lol you quoted me from the other thread

• Haha
Reactions: SKU

Hey now. Long time lurker and gear junkie, just joined up to reply because I may be able to help here.

There actually is a power amp sim in a hardware device. The Hotone Binary IR Cab is an IR loader with power amp sim that can be used with or without the IR.

Link:

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/binary/Binary IR Cab

Has these sims:

No.Power Amp TypeDescription
1OFFN/A
2EL84SEL84 Single-Ended (SE)
3EL84PEL84 Push-Pull (PP)
46L6P6L6 Push-Pull (PP)
5EL34PEL34 Push-Pull (PP)
6KT88SKT88 Single-Ended (SE)
7KT88PKT88 Push-Pull (PP)
8EL34SEL34 Single-Ended (SE)
96L6S6L6 Single-Ended (SE)

Agreed that it can work without a complex power amp emulation. Especially the JCM800. For a plexi, I do like the sag coming from the power amp.

Hey now. Long time lurker and gear junkie, just joined up to reply because I may be able to help here.

There actually is a power amp sim in a hardware device. The Hotone Binary IR Cab is an IR loader with power amp sim that can be used with or without the IR.

Link:

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/binary/Binary IR Cab

Has these sims:

No.Power Amp TypeDescription
1OFFN/A
2EL84SEL84 Single-Ended (SE)
3EL84PEL84 Push-Pull (PP)
46L6P6L6 Push-Pull (PP)
5EL34PEL34 Push-Pull (PP)
6KT88SKT88 Single-Ended (SE)
7KT88PKT88 Push-Pull (PP)
8EL34SEL34 Single-Ended (SE)
96L6S6L6 Single-Ended (SE)

Thanks! Actually there’s a few devices that do this. The Hotone one, which I did not know. The Nux Solid studio, the Engl cabloader. What’s not clear about these devices is whether the power amp simulation is simply an eq curve, or a more complex simulation including sag/compression. I am looking for the latter type, the former I imagine could be done using a parametric eq on a modeler.

The Torpedo Cab M+ also has power amp simulation, and from what I read on TGP it is not just eq.

The only analog device doing power amp emulation is the Axiom PAE-1. It has a 20 weeks wait list (!) but it seems to get the job done. Analog preamp into analog (or digital) power amp emu makes a lot of sense to me.

Back