Help me choose a plexi tube preamp!

vino_buono

Roadie
Also spurred by the recent thread on MIAB pedals... I have a transistor-based plexi/JCM preamp pedal (Tsakalis Room #40) which I like a lot, and I'd like to try a tube-based one. Why? GAS!!!

Use case 1: 1) preamp into HX stomp for amp simulation, effects and IR, or 2) preamp into HX stomp for effects and Torpedo CAB M for power amp simulation and IR. This is a setup I could use often.
Use Case 2: preamp into FX return of my Mesa Mark V 25. This is a setup I would use rarely, but nice to have.

I am looking for classic plexi tones. There are not too many options out there...

- Victory Sheriff V4: available in Europe and priced ok
- Kingsley Constable: very well reviewed, but it has a wait list, and it is available used in Europe at price much higher than new...
- Effectrode SR-71 Blackbird: available, more expensive than the Victory Sheriff but still ok.

There's also the Bluguitar Amp1 Mercury. However: 1) AFAIK, the tube is in the power amp whereas the preamp is solid-state; not meaning anything bad with that, but it wouldn't scratch my "tube itch", and 2) the rec out has cab sim that can not be switched off, which is almost a deal breaker for me. There's also the Friedman IR-X; it would be exactly what I want, if it were not for the Friedman tone; I am after a more classic Plexi tone here.

Do you have any experience with these pedals, or others? Thanks!

There's also the Bluguitar Amp1 Mercury. However: 1) AFAIK, the tube is in the power amp whereas the preamp is solid-state; not meaning anything bad with that, but it wouldn't scratch my "tube itch", and 2) the rec out has cab sim that can not be switched off, which is almost a deal breaker for me. There's also the Friedman IR-X; it would be exactly what I want, if it were not for the Friedman tone; I am after a more classic Plexi tone here.
You'd never know the preamp is solid-state from the sound. The Amp 1 can sound pretty much like anything I get out of my Axe-Fx 3. That's why I don't feel tube preamps hold some magic, using tubes in the poweramp in some capacity matters more.

You can also run the Amp 1 speaker out to an audio interface with a 20 dB pad. Even 10 dB works but you need to keep the master very low. A proper loadbox is better.

I think it's worth a try, shouldn't be too hard to find used for example. The BluGuitar Blubox cab sim pops up cheap sometimes too so you could pair that with it since it simulates a load for the speaker out if you don't have a cab connected. The IRs in it are mostly great, just didn't like the V30 and G12H.

If the Friedman is to your liking, I would just wait. I would expect they make other BAD made amps in this format. Whether any of those will be Plexi voiced is of course unknown.

Afaik the Blackbird is a Fender Blackface pretty though. The V4 Sheriff or the Kingsley Constable might be your best bet.

Also check out the PlexiVibe. No experience but it might be exactly the thing for you.

Also spurred by the recent thread on MIAB pedals... I have a transistor-based plexi/JCM preamp pedal (Tsakalis Room #40) which I like a lot, and I'd like to try a tube-based one. Why? GAS!!!

Use case 1: 1) preamp into HX stomp for amp simulation, effects and IR, or 2) preamp into HX stomp for effects and Torpedo CAB M for power amp simulation and IR. This is a setup I could use often.
Use Case 2: preamp into FX return of my Mesa Mark V 25. This is a setup I would use rarely, but nice to have.

I am looking for classic plexi tones. There are not too many options out there...

- Victory Sheriff V4: available in Europe and priced ok
- Kingsley Constable: very well reviewed, but it has a wait list, and it is available used in Europe at price much higher than new...
- Effectrode SR-71 Blackbird: available, more expensive than the Victory Sheriff but still ok.

Do you have any experience with these pedals, or others? Thanks!
Origin effects revival drive - solid state, but seems more like what you’d be looking for over any BluGuitar stuff since it is just a preamp-pedal.

Revival Drive Compact works great as a Plexi-style preamp or an overdrive. Also plays well when driven by boosts and stacked ODs.
Origin-rev.jpg

The full size Revival Drive has even more capability when using as a dedicated preamp.

:beer

You'd never know the preamp is solid-state from the sound. The Amp 1 can sound pretty much like anything I get out of my Axe-Fx 3. That's why I don't feel tube preamps hold some magic, using tubes in the poweramp in some capacity matters more.
This non-tubey thing sounds exactly like this other non-tubey thing, ergo tube don't matter?
:idk

So, it seems to boil down to the Victory Sheriff V4, Kingsley Constable V2, or Kourbis Plexivibe. The Constable and Plexivibe have a very similar feature set. Has anyone had a chance to try both? I have easier access to the Plexivibe and there's also a nice review from @2112 . The Kingsley has a 5 week wait list which I'd be ok with, and the price with import duties from US would be higher than the Plexivibe but not a dealbreaker.

Since Leon has demoed both the Plexivibe and Tsakalis Room #40, any comment on the differences between the two plexi's? That would be much appreciated!

So, it seems to boil down to the Victory Sheriff V4, Kingsley Constable V2, or Kourbis Plexivibe. The Constable and Plexivibe have a very similar feature set. Has anyone had a chance to try both? I have easier access to the Plexivibe and there's also a nice review from @2112 . The Kingsley has a 5 week wait list which I'd be ok with, and the price with import duties from US would be higher than the Plexivibe but not a dealbreaker.

Since Leon has demoed both the Plexivibe and Tsakalis Room #40, any comment on the differences between the two plexi's? That would be much appreciated!
I'm waiting for the courier to call me to deliver the Room #40. Will post my impressions once I test it.

I received it. The Room #40 is impressive! Very amp like, the controls are really like on a Marshall - at master > 6/10 you start feeling it.
Only have a clip where I compare it with my Ceriatone 2555. I would say it sounds more Marshall than the Jubilee ...
First it's the Ceriatone, then the JCM800 mode on the pedal, then the 1959 mode. First part is rhythm ( clean part is neck pu 3/10, distorted part is bridge 10/10) next is lead ( middle position 8/10 both).
The only thing to keep in mind is I forgot the "variac" on minimum so it sounds kinda fuzzy and more distorted than when the variac is in the middle where it sounds more balanced and tight.
Recording quality is what it is but you can still differentiate between the amp and the pedal.

The pedal went into the clean channel with all controls on middle...

I would say that the pedal is not as dynamic as the amp on pick intensity - but as you can hear it cleans just like the amp on pu volume and also the gain on the pedal was much higher and the variac on min so that might affect things- and it doesn't push as much IMO but I only played with it for 5 minutes before recording this.

Will soon do another comparison with more similar gain levels and the the variac in the middle.

As you have noticed, the Kingsley stuff absolutely holds its value, if not escalates. I doubt that is the same for the Victory. Dunno about the Kourbis. And haven't played any of them so can't help on sound :rofl The Kingsley Maiden D I had was :chef

I don't think I've ever seen gutshots of this pedal anywhere so here they come:
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg

Build quality is as good as any, there's not much complex stuff - but I'm not an expert - ( maybe the magic happens underneath the top PCBs ) but the interesting thing is that besides the boost POT there are three other internal pots that do some stuff ... haven't tried what yet.

Also interesting that there seem to be different revisions, this being v5.

I may be one of the few who doesn't like the Kingsley stuff. :knitTepid, and as bland
and inoffensive as Mick and Dan on That Pedal Show.

:sofa

Hello, cookie-cutter tones straight out of Suburbia.

I may be one of the few who doesn't like the Kingsley stuff. :knitTepid, and as bland
and inoffensive as Mick and Dan on That Pedal Show.

:sofa

Hello, cookie-cutter tones straight out of Suburbia.

God forbid you turn that gain knob on that $495 drive pedal up past 3, Dan :wat :hmm :Boo

Not to be a Negative Nancy but my love for that show has seriously diminished
out of the sheer repetition and boredom it induces in me. :brick

Here is the Room #40 as a preamp -> Power amp sim ( doesn't do much ) -> IR loader + plate reverb

Both tracks are the JCM800 (22), rhythm with variac 5/10 and lead with variac 2/10

Here is the Room #40 as a preamp -> Power amp sim ( doesn't do much ) -> IR loader + plate reverb

Both tracks are the JCM800 (22), rhythm with variac 5/10 and lead with variac 2/10

Nice! Not my cup of tea, but definitely sounds like it's supposed to.

Very familiar toanz, no reinvention of the wheel, just plain old rock'n'roll, and that ain't a bad thing - if it floats yer boat. 👌

Legit chops, too. 😃

• 100%
Reactions: SKU

Well done! May I ask what you used as power amp sim? Because the Helix has none of its own. I had very good results using the Room 40 into the Texas Cali model. And also which IR you have used?

Back