HX Stomp Feature Idea: Quick access knobs

kartikg3

Roadie
Use Case: Quick bend-down access to certain parameters to be assigned to the 3 control knobs on the HX Stomp. Real world use case: EQ during a gig. I map low to knob1, mid to knob2 and high to knob3. During the gig, if I want to quickly adjust the mids, I bend down and tweak knob2.

Would be cool if we could do multiple pages as well. This way we can potentially have more parameters assigned to the 3 knobs spread across multiple pages, for quick access. The Hotone Ampero has something of this sort I believe.

No matter which play mode we are on (any mode apart from the edit mode), ex. Snapshot mode or preset mode or stomp mode, turning any of these knobs quickly shows you the params and lets you tweak for a few secs before reverting to the normal screen. Currently in these modes the knobs don't do anything.

What do folks think of this idea. Ideascale link coming soon..

Please vote on ideascale: https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/87388

I think it's a cool idea to have the knobs do something extra when there are no parameters displayed, but I cant help but think of when that happens with the Stomp?

With the bigger units all you really need to do is navigate onto a blank space. Most of my Stomp presets have the signal path full of blocks. The parameters aren't shown in any of the "Play" modes but there are graphical representations of the knobs and their labels.

That would probably involve a whole redesign of the UI just for those small screens unless we'd be assigning those knobs without any visual feedback. How would this work on the HXFX?

Just thinking out loud, isn't this the same idea as the customizable performance page on the FM9/Axe FX? Could it be added as a separate page like that?
It's very much the same thing. In practice you might run into issues like how to quickly get to that "Perform view" on the HX Stomp.

On Fractal it's basically having to remember to set the Home view to one of the Perform pages and not accidentally clicking Home when in that view as it will just take you back to the Preset/scenes view. There's no super quick way to get to these views from anywhere on the UI and the way these pages are laid out is a bit inefficient.

It's Home -> Per preset Perform -> Global Perform -> Presets -> Meters. I've suggested to Fractal that they would change it to Meters -> Presets -> Home (still the starting point) -> Per Preset Perform -> Global Perform because then any of these views are at most two clicks away from Home view.

With the HX Stomp already having several "press this and that button together" type inconveniences, adding a 3rd view to Play/Edit views might just make it awkward to quickly get to the right one. I should love the HX Stomp for its small size and full feature set but I really hate the way it operates from the front panel which is why I don't own one. If they had just added even one more button (not footswitch) to it they could have avoided having so many different "need to know and remember" features on it.

I am very much looking to see what Line6 does for this form factor in their next gen products though. I think HX Stomp could have been a very different product if it had a touchscreen like was initially planned on the Helix. It probably would have operated closer to how the Ampero Stomp 2 works.

I think HX Stomp could have been a very different product if it had a touchscreen like was initially planned on the Helix. It probably would have operated closer to how the Ampero Stomp 2 works.
or MX5… which was fun for a while, then straight back to Stomp. Many have hammered down on the stomp for many things. But we still need to be reminded of it’s intent and purpose sometimes :)

It was never really meant to be used as an independent standalone unit. But many (im guilty) treat it that way anyway.

The hardcore pedalboard users set their Stomp up and then they don’t really mess around more after it passes the gig tests.

People like me… meh… as a homeplayer I appreciate the way Stomp is made. I can have it on the desk or the floor, I’ll be using HX Edit anyway. Edit feels to me like the true user interface of Helix products. Even with the Pod Go, i was always on Edit.

But you’re probably right, it would have been another product. Better or worse? That’s up to each.

In practice you might run into issues like how to quickly get to that "Perform view" on the HX Stomp.
The easiest solution is to just have these knobs available as additional events (along with MIDI, expr. pedals, etc.) in Command Center, then have them active in any view other than the Edit view. (Apologies, I forget the Helix parlance.) Users who don't want this functionality would simply not make the assignments in Command Center, users who do could program any of the encoders to correspond with any of the block parameters for any given preset.

I've been talking about this for years. Being able to map the Tilt EQ tone to one knob, a reverb mix to another, a delay feedback to another... quick fixes for "too bright", "too wet", etc.

That would probably involve a whole redesign of the UI just for those small screens unless we'd be assigning those knobs without any visual feedback. How would this work on the HXFX?
See above. I suppose a text label above each encoder might be helpful, though e.g. "Mix" would be somewhat mysterious without a clear indication as to what block is targeted.

If anything, I think this kind of functionality would be more valuable on the smaller units (HX Stomp) since the parameters you need in a hurry are more often spread across multiple pages, even in edit mode.

Last edited:
I've been talking about this for years. Being able to map the Tilt EQ tone to one knob, a reverb mix to another, a delay feedback to another... quick fixes for "too bright", "too wet", etc.
This is exactly what I was looking for! I may end up getting an expression knob to do part of this.

Back