Hotone Ampero II

The UI on this series is fantastic. I had noise issues with the Ampero II Stage though, tech support was not able to sort it out. Extremely noisy with all guitars and all gain settings. I hope those issues have been resolved with this new hardware.
Did anyone else have this issue?

Did anyone else have this issue?
Not sure, I don't know all other users. I know that none of my other equipment including Helix, FM3, BOSS GT-1000 or Kemper had noise issues with the same cables and guitars though. :cool:

Not sure, I don't know all other users. I know that none of my other equipment including Helix, FM3, BOSS GT-1000 or Kemper had noise issues with the same cables and guitars though. :cool:
Have you tried a Quad Cortex yet my good sir

Have you tried a Quad Cortex yet my good sir
Yes, loved it but since I need two of everything (one as a backup) it went back and I went with the Kemper Player instead, which I am thrilled with!

I did use a third-party grounded power supply with my QC and had no noise issues.

I tried a third-party power supply with the Ampero and it was still noisy.

With my Nano Cortex, I noticed there was noise with my transformer isolated power supply. However, the ground lift button worked perfectly killing that noise. I don´t know if the QC has a ground lift... If it hasn´t, then I guess they added it to the NC for a reason.

With my Nano Cortex, I noticed there was noise with my transformer isolated power supply. However, the ground lift button worked perfectly killing that noise. I don´t know if the QC has a ground lift... If it hasn´t, then I guess they added it to the NC for a reason.
In my case, it wasn't a grounding problem. It was two very noisy Ampero Stage units that were not fixable.

Yes, loved it but since I need two of everything (one as a backup) it went back and I went with the Kemper Player instead, which I am thrilled with!

I did use a third-party grounded power supply with my QC and had no noise issues.

I got a player next to a QC cause I wanted something super small. Now it looks like, together with an usb (powered) midicontroller…that little green machine does everything I need…and the lines between couchdevice/grabandgo/gig rig have blurred,

While its capabilities are obviously broader..,Not so many reasons to keep the QC tbh, I can run vocals through it for an occasional duo gig with a vocalist, I appreciate ability to combine captures of my drives with captures of my amps, I have a preference for kitchen sink stuff switched with scenes…but I’m not sure that weighs enough against having two platforms around.
..not many reasons to get rid of it either…I’ll probably sit on it for a while ;)

I got a player next to a QC cause I wanted something super small. Now it looks like, together with an usb (powered) midicontroller…that little green machine does everything I need…and the lines between couchdevice/grabandgo/gig rig have blurred,

While its capabilities are obviously broader..,Not so many reasons to keep the QC tbh, I can run vocals through it for an occasional duo gig with a vocalist, I appreciate ability to combine captures of my drives with captures of my amps, I have a preference for kitchen sink stuff switched with scenes…but I’m not sure that weighs enough against having two platforms around.
..not many reasons to get rid of it either…I’ll probably sit on it for a while ;)
I agree, I would take a Kemper Player over the full Quad Cortex any day for live gigs.

Also, the tuner on the Player is extremely good, even for bass and when using a capo!

They do sound good. Not sure of this three-core and capture stuff will sound any better.

They do sound good. Not sure of this three-core and capture stuff will sound any better.
I think the stomp and stage were already 3 core , the captures is new , but I suspect that you will be able to use captures on all of them

I think the stomp and stage were already 3 core , the captures is new , but I suspect that you will be able to use captures on all of them
Yes the capture is available for the Stage via beta firmware now. Not sure how good it is though. Honestly I think the Ampero line right now has hands down the best user interface of all the devices.

Yes the capture is available for the Stage via beta firmware now. Not sure how good it is though. Honestly I think the Ampero line right now has hands down the best user interface of all the devices.
Fractal could use their advice

Fractal could use their advice

Yes and no.

You can't boil all of the Fractal UI down to a 5-inch screen with just three parameters at the bottom of the screen to tweak. It'd be way more of a nightmare than it is now. Also, the Fractal grid system is not like the Helix/Quad Cortex/Hotone. It's a lot more flexible.

That being said, there are several ways to eliminate editing steps on the current generation of Fractal hardware and allow more straightforward interaction. A number have been detailed both here and in Fractal's "wish list" subforum on their site. Cliff just hasn't made it a priority.

So a few things. The entire family of Ampero II products the Stomp, Stage, and this new one all use the same architecture and same Sharp 3 core DSP which is pretty powerful for its class. Can run dual amps and such.

The Stage is the top of the line with the most I/O options, followed by this one and then the stomp.

The stage has a mic pre as well as the new one. On the stage you can run a mic with vocal chain along sides your guitar with its signal chain.

Originally only thought the Stage was getting the new capture tech, but looks like this will be getting it as well, but don't believe the Stomp will as it may not have all needed I/O, but it may get the ability to play the captures which would still be cool.

The Hotone Ampero 2 models sound better than Helix, Headrush to me, and honestly close to par with QC, TMP, and close to Fractal as well.

The UI is good, but I wouldn't say it's the best, honestly the Fender TMP is hands down probably the best UI in any unit currently.

Fractals UI (Regardless of flexibility) is not good compared to many of the Touch Screen units out now.

The biggest problem with Hotone is they keep making new units, when they could just add more new features to the current ones first. We see an update here and there with a little new stuff, but you see more new products than you do updates.

So a few things. The entire family of Ampero II products the Stomp, Stage, and this new one all use the same architecture and same Sharp 3 core DSP which is pretty powerful for its class. Can run dual amps and such.

The Stage is the top of the line with the most I/O options, followed by this one and then the stomp.

The stage has a mic pre as well as the new one. On the stage you can run a mic with vocal chain along sides your guitar with its signal chain.

Originally only thought the Stage was getting the new capture tech, but looks like this will be getting it as well, but don't believe the Stomp will as it may not have all needed I/O, but it may get the ability to play the captures which would still be cool.

The Hotone Ampero 2 models sound better than Helix, Headrush to me, and honestly close to par with QC, TMP, and close to Fractal as well.

The UI is good, but I wouldn't say it's the best, honestly the Fender TMP is hands down probably the best UI in any unit currently.

Fractals UI (Regardless of flexibility) is not good compared to many of the Touch Screen units out now.

The biggest problem with Hotone is they keep making new units, when they could just add more new features to the current ones first. We see an update here and there with a little new stuff, but you see more new products than you do updates.
I disagree with Hotone being up there sound-wise with the big gig guys like Fractal and QC. AND I'M A HOTONE AUTHORIZED DEALER. I've owned them all, Hotone sounds good but not that good. On par with Helix. Way better than Headrush. However the amp models are much noisier than say Fractal or QC. If they fix the noise, they will be on the right track. Also the other thing is that the Ampero Stage is very DSP-limited compared to QC, Fractal FM9 and Helix with its A and B paths combined.

Last edited:
Back