Here comes Kemper. Bye Felicias

I presume a lawsuit is not going to happen between Fractal and Kemper, I think the customers are different enough to not step on each others turf.
For Fractal it's just one small new feature but for Kemper it's the main thing, Kemper has everything to lose, and I don't think Fractal will try to kill Kemper just to be able to use a small new tone matching feature.

Of course there won't be a lawsuit, that would be extremely bad publicity in this case because profiling is radically different from Fractal's tone capture and Fractal hasn't brought any full profiling/capture process to market while the KPA has been around for 10+ years. And beside that, unless patenting some type of very specific process, a patent is more to protect the design of a physical product to stop someone from creating the exact same product. More general ideas get patented all the time, but it's extremely hard to straight up win most the time in those cases (though some do end up settling out of court, companies with enough capital don't want to spend time in court).

I get the point, but keep in mind profiling - in a certain way - gives us access to vintage/unaffordable/unobtainium amps that we'd never have a chance to play, if it weren't for models/profiles.

:D
So does my FM9, and I can get wild and crazy with EQ, change the tubes, change the voltages, change how much dust has settled on the transformer, what it'd sound like during an eclipse on a Wednesday, etc.

On our way to Vienna for a few days to visit our nephew, and have some pre-dinner downtime, so here goes.

First, I have less than zero idea on how he has done this and I care even less about the "way" he has done this.

What I do know is KPA always under-promise-and-over-deliver .... the guy is a dead-set genius ... he simply does not think about issues and approach solutions to them the way others do.

I think though some may be missing the big forest for the little tree's.

Lets take an AC30 for example.

CK stated that they have modelled the full-range of the real amp Gain Stack and full range of the real amp EQ Stack controls and it is stored in the KPA as a "Channel" as CK calls it. Lets call it the KPA "AC30 Channel" :)

Listening to CK's explanation a couple of times - and putting aside that this is backwards compatible - it will / should "work" as follows - give or take a menu or button press:-

-> setup your AC30 with the settings you want
-> in the Profiling Menu you will now be able to select the Liquid Profiling Menu option and then there will be an extra menu where you will load the new "Kemper AC30 Channel"
-> in that Kemper "AC30 Channel" menu, you then set the KPA Channel AC30 Amp Controls to be the same as those on your real amp
-> do your Profile
-> then when you load and use this "liquid AC30 Profile", the KPA already knows what the real amp Gain / EQ Stacks do across their full range ... so when you change the KPA G/B/M/T/P/C etc... it will - according to CK - react and sound identical to the way the controls on the real Amp will react and sound when you turn them.

Call me simple - you wont be the first :) - but this is such a brilliantly elegant solution to what many/most thought was "undoable" that I really hesitate to use the phrase .... but it is a big leap forward.

As always the proof of the pudding is in the eating ..... but damn .... CK knows how make a mighty fine pudding :)

All the best to all.
Ben

So does my FM9, and I can get wild and crazy with EQ, change the tubes, change the voltages, change how much dust has settled on the transformer, what it'd sound like during an eclipse on a Wednesday, etc.
Yeah but CK 'gonna enable us Kemperites to handle eclipses on Thu morning. You got us beat on the transformer dust though, damnit!

81xD.gif

Did they get your wifi password? :hmm
Yeah had to change it from “password” to “Password!”. Such a pain in the ass but that’s not what the main reason that made me return it was but that’s what Sweetwater was told because it is concerning. It was a very nice unit with on par sounds you get from digital units but I just don’t get on with it. Still like the idea of capturing my favorite amps here.

On side note I exchanged it in part for the real deal goodness of a tube amp. :chef

Last edited:
Yeah had to change it from “password” to “Password!”. Such a pain in the ass but that’s not what the main reason that made me return it was but that’s what Sweetwater was told because it’s is concerning. It was a very nice unit with on par sounds you get from digital units but I just don’t get on with it. Still like the idea of capturing my favorite amps here.

On side note I exchanged it in part for the real deal goodness of a tube amp. :chef
this is how we do it now 90s pop GIF by NOW That's Music

Back