Help me pick a wedge--quick!

I have about $1000k ceiling. I kind of wish I could get a stereo pair, and portability is essential in my situation--no road crew, and I'm playing in crappy/tiny bars most of the time. When I'm on bigger stages, usually it's a decent house PA. I absolutely have a drop dead date of like tomorrow for ordering as I'll need it on the 22nd and need to have time to tweak it before I go out with it.

Man, if you can't go stereo and get 2, then I'd use most of that budget on just one. :idk

Or get a strict powered monitor for in front facing you, and a Fender Cab for behind you. That's
doable with $1k. :LOL:

Another one that is all the rage at the Fractal forum is the EV PXM-12XP.
I have it and really like it. I use it in the drum shed to amplify the electronic drums, the helix and a Mac mini that runs plugins. When I play with my band it comes down from the pole and I use it on the ground with the axe fx. Works great in both scenarios.

The clubs themselves can be cheap. The green fees have gone insane. It does make for a way to get away from the wife and kids though for some breathing room.
This is my weapon of choice for that specific job.

Attachments

• IMG_6648.jpeg
    IMG_6648.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
Here in Canada, I've been renting YorkVille YXL12P 's for all stage monitors for our band's gigs, and we use those as monitors for all instruments, and the tones are lovely!

If you want to get 2 on that budget and you’re just monitoring yourself, you’ll probably do best to just do trial and error and trust your ears. If you want tried and true, get one good one. I’ve used my friends QSC which were great, and I’m sure the other more expensive models mentioned here will be great.

It seems like speaker companies haven’t really cracked the code on bringing excellent quality to a cheap price point, but every now and then you come across something that works for you. (There were several years where a Roland keyboard amp was that solution for me)

So I wound up just buying a K8.2. I talked to a couple of people locally who said that the K is actually an upgrade over the CP and not just the inclusion of DSP for DSP sake.

Shitty thing is, I'm working 2 jobs + recording a record at a local studio and haven't had a chance to even plug it in and fire-it-up.

I've got pretty much everything available from our live sound side, the qsc k series, the yamahas, ev's finally got a CLR, but usually I just bring the ALTO ts210/310/410 whatever, they sound close to my studio monitors where presets from the control room translate great live. Some of the others have more SPL, but just arent worth the extra cost or weight if I had to buy them for this.

The real standout, which I can almost never use because they are constantly out on rental rigs are the Turbosound wedges...wherever you stand, the things sound pretty much the same, unlike all of the regular two way wedges I have tried. The Celestion F12s do something similar, but to me they sound very very different than the studio monitors

I've got pretty much everything available from our live sound side, the qsc k series, the yamahas, ev's finally got a CLR, but usually I just bring the ALTO ts210/310/410 whatever, they sound close to my studio monitors where presets from the control room translate great live. Some of the others have more SPL, but just arent worth the extra cost or weight if I had to buy them for this.

The real standout, which I can almost never use because they are constantly out on rental rigs are the Turbosound wedges...wherever you stand, the things sound pretty much the same, unlike all of the regular two way wedges I have tried. The Celestion F12s do something similar, but to me they sound very very different than the studio monitors
Do you mean these? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-flashline-series-2-way-stage-monitor-12-inch

So I wound up just buying a K8.2. I talked to a couple of people locally who said that the K is actually an upgrade over the CP and not just the inclusion of DSP for DSP sake.

Shitty thing is, I'm working 2 jobs + recording a record at a local studio and haven't had a chance to even plug it in and fire-it-up.
I am outfitting a portable audio rack for work and grabbed two of the CP8s. They should be here next week with the rest of the gear. I am looking forward to seeing how they do \m/

LD Systems have a rather new range of coaxial wedges out, covering 8", 10", 12", 15". Company has a pretty good reputation and most people running modelers through wedge style monitors seem to dig coaxial ones quite a bit (myself included, I'm having an eye on those LDs, too).

LD Systems have a rather new range of coaxial wedges out, covering 8", 10", 12", 15". Company has a pretty good reputation and most people running modelers through wedge style monitors seem to dig coaxial ones quite a bit (myself included, I'm having an eye on those LDs, too).

I just looked them up and they look beautiful and just excellent all-around. . Then I started looking at MFR's Warranties in the US. . . 2 years on the LD Systems, 3 years on the Turbosounds, 6 years on the QSC's, and 1 year on the EV's. Quite the differences

Last edited:
Back