Helix Talk

or these YouTube content creators are running out of ideas:

How wouldn't they?
I mean, it's like a plague, a pandemic, whatever. The inflationary amount of YTers is something that just needs to implode one day. Well, maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I actually pretty much entirely stopped watching all this. I mean, why would I watch 20 minutes of a video to get 30 seconds of informational content? Just because these folks need to fill whatever how many minutes so they can properly monetarize something that shouldn't be monetarized at all in the first place?

I got in trouble for calling out one of these clickbait douchewads over this. He screamed and turned purple all mad that I didn;t watch the whole video, but I say, "Live by the clickbait, die by the clickbait" not my fault if you are being dishonest

That, and people justifying those stupid faces in thumbnails because of "the algorithm". Dude, if you have to resort to circus theatrics to get views, maybe your content is just shit to begin with.

Every single one of those videos, in a nutshell:

Screenshot from 2024-04-20 11-17-44.png

I'm quite sick of the exaggerated faces in YouTube videos. It got old and cringy as f.
Tbh, I really don't think I'm in the target group of these cringefest marketing videos disguised as "reviews" or "tips".

Surprisingly, as a grown person, I can do pedal research on my own. 😂 I sometimes look at videos to hear how something actually sounds, mainly to confirm my assumption/expectation.

Thus, one could probably say it's part of the "buyer's journey", but I say it's inevitable, unfortunately, in today's dark ages where brick'n'mortar stores are nowhere to be found (and if they are, their stock of "rabbit hole material" is poor).

PS: It can also backfire. "Influencers" have driven me away from certain brands.

EDIT: Also, thanks! I have just "cleaned out" and unsubscribed from a chunk of my YouTube subscriptions. Some channels have turned from informative to clickbaity "1 minute of playing in a 15 minute video" sh*tholes. No need to follow anymore...

Last edited:
I'm quite sick of the exaggerated faces in YouTube videos. It got old and cringy as f.
Everyone is. But it's actually not for "the algorithm" but stupidity with human psychology. It seems people are more likely to click on videos with a face in the thumbnail for some reason. Maybe we just find seeing a human face more relatable.

What is for the YT algorithms is things like:
  • Making longer videos. YT at one point started favoring longer videos, probably because people were posting so much 1-2 minute crap. But this lead to people with 1-2 minutes worth of things to say to just circle the same drain to pad it to 8 minutes. So I expect now YT has reversed course but people are not aware of this so they keep making longer videos.
  • Pushing out content regularly. This aids your visibility. This is easy to do for e.g game streamers, but for everyone else churning out content on a regular basis means you will run out of good topics.
  • YT is trying to push you to make Shorts as a strategy to battle Tiktok and Instagram dominance. I don't know about you, but I hate shorts so much I have a browser extension (Improve YouTube) that just hides them on my computer.
So that inevitably leads to clickbait, stupid faces and low quality content. Making people angry with controversial statements is the easiest way to push people to watch something, even those who don't know about your channel. This is what you get when content on YT becomes a business where it pays your rent.

I was wondering, since I couldn't find such information for the real-life Prince Of Tone, any clues as to which settings make the Heir Apparent closest to the OG Blues Breaker?

Either something’s coming, or these YouTube content creators are running out of ideas:

Can't speak for any of these fine gentlemen, but I'm guessing it's a "topic of the week" sort of thing. Even though all those videos are quite kind to Helix if you actually watch them, I'm betting plenty of people just glance at the thumbnail and take it at face value, which is... <sigh...>

I'm betting plenty of people just glance at the thumbnail and take it at face value, which is... <sigh...>

Look at it this way: Some people will sell their units. Others wil then buy them, telling yet some others how stupid of the seller it was to let this piece of equipment go. And in return, more people will lust after Helices.

I just installed the HX Stomp driver on my new Macbook. Now, while I am absolutely aware that there's also some things Apple is responsible for, FFS and Jesus Christ, why would I have to allow a simple interface driver install to fool with some deep kernel extensions, requiring me to perform secure boots, asking me to pretty much hand over quite some possibly crucial security things to Line 6?!? And how comes other interfaces don't need that at all - while at the same time performing 929127 x better than the HX series drivers?

Really, @Digital Igloo, this is something where you defenitely need to get your act straight! In general, this is not acceptable and I wouldn't have installed the driver in case I hadn't already done so and would at least trust you folks as much as not to think you'd be trying to harm me.

And well, I can't help it, nothing new, but it's still amazing me how you folks make a dedicated driver perform sooo much worse in terms of latency compared to running the device in class compliant mode. I don't know of any other company where this would be the case.

why would I have to allow a simple interface driver install to fool with some deep kernel extensions, requiring me to perform secure boots, asking me to pretty much hand over quite some possibly crucial security things to Line 6?!?

And as if that wasn't bad enough already: I thought I could just re-activate the security settings once the driver was installed - but no. It needs lower security to work at all.

Really, while I can perfectly understand any criticism regarding Apple being more and more anal about these things, after all there's a reason I could do pretty much anything with my Macs during more than 1.5 decades by now without ever having to worry about my system being compromised. So, while the HX Stomp driver itself might not be anything to worry about on its own, having to lower the security settings on a pretty deep level (regardless whether you find them useless or not) just to be able to use an audio interface driver is not acceptable, period.

We spend WAY too much time of our users' money, instead of optimizing our plugins or adding new features, dealing with Apple's CONSTANT changing of their paranoia and anti right to repair schemes. I don't blame Line 6 at all here. It is MADDENING that a plugin that worked yesterday WILL NOT WORK today, and yet apple hadn't said anything, it just kinda stealth changed on the sly like.

Not sure about the other stuff line 6 may be doing here, but its gotta be terrifying to try to support apple for people who may not be as savvy as the people on this forum

I never installed a driver on my MacBook. Just HX Edit. I still see all inputs/outputs in my DAW.

Sure, but:
- Using other samplerates but 48kHz isn't natively supported.
- Sort of as a result of that, you can't open other apps dealing with different sample rates simultaneously. Which is the biggest drawback for me as I pretty much always have Wavelab opened parallely, dealing with lots of different audiofiles.

Besides, no matter how you put it, no single audio driver install on earth should require going deep into your OS' security settings. I mean, you have to reboot the machine to go to those extended safety options. Which are hidden there for a reason. And which are certainly not meant to be altered just because you have to install an audio interface driver.

Back