Helix Talk

But the PodGo is NO slouch...IT IS extremely underrated !
I’m starting to think that way… I love the stomp of course. But it kinda deserves to live with other pedals and external gear. It’s great by itself too, but I want more control.

I could see myself appreciate the extra switches, larger display and built in pedal of the PG. Think I’ll be looking out for a used one.

I'm really jazzed on Helix as a companion to Tonex. I have a Rack (heh), which I've been using as an interface and as pre-effects for the Tonex app. This has been nice because the Tonex app--FOR WHATEVER REASON--can't load a drive capture in front of an amp capture. I could download the capture into Amplitube, but I don't really jive with IK's drive models. Then I have a Stomp XL as a companion for the Tonex pedal. I run the Tonex pedals in the FX Loop of the Stomp, and it's *chef's kiss*.

This all started when I was jamming my Helix and wasn't really feeling it in that moment. I switched over to Tonex, and I found what I was getting there to be much more satisfying. Of the gear I have, I would rank amp tones as Fractal > Tonex > Helix.

Side note. I had re-purchased a Stomp to use alongside Tonex. I was still within the return window when my local Guitar Center got an XL in stock. I figured "why not?" and exchanged the Stomp for an XL, and what a good decision. The OG Stomp is great as an addition to a pedalboard or as a mega-compact rig, but the XL is much better (for me) as a companion piece to Tonex. I like the extra footswitches and view modes L6 added to the XL. Very cool product.

I like the extra footswitches and view modes L6 added to the XL. Very cool product.
Surely is. That’s were I start to think that from a “use as the only box” standpoint XL is weird. And that XL truly is the pedalboard super pedal… kinda in the same vein as Boss switchers and Gigrig and stuff.

Because the size of the lil Stomp makes it such a great companion at home, throw it on the floor or throw it on a desk back and forth.

I think I’d prefer the Pod Go as an all in one unit than have to do the whole pedalboard and expression pedal thing again. Done that so many times with the lil Stomp… but my back and forth with that is not to blame on the Stomp, it’s just me and my demons.

The G12-65 is the sound of 80s metal, Dio, Priest, Metallica.

This is a good reference of this cab:

I have found that our new 4x12 Uber T75 is closer to a G12-65 than a modern G12T-75 including the Marshall T75.
There are more than 40 variations of the G12-65 and some are closer to a T75 and vice versa, Line 6 lucked out on this cab, the Uber T75 is great.

Helix Uber T75 vs the Youtube clip above, arrows pointing the similarities in response where it matters the most, I used a single SM57 in Helix.

Helix G12-65.png

I'm all set regarding the cab sound, now where's that JCM800? :satan

Last edited:
Surely is. That’s were I start to think that from a “use as the only box” standpoint XL is weird. And that XL truly is the pedalboard super pedal… kinda in the same vein as Boss switchers and Gigrig and stuff.

Because the size of the lil Stomp makes it such a great companion at home, throw it on the floor or throw it on a desk back and forth.

I think I’d prefer the Pod Go as an all in one unit than have to do the whole pedalboard and expression pedal thing again. Done that so many times with the lil Stomp… but my back and forth with that is not to blame on the Stomp, it’s just me and my demons.
I thought about one of those pod Go Wireless units more than once. I already have a stomp, a g10, expression pedal, you know - - all the bells and whistles that come along with trying to turn a Stomp into an all-in-one rig..

I haven't really looked into it tho because I'm holding out for a next Gen rack unit - preferably smaller than 3u.

And the last one with the 4x12 Uber T75 and an SM7B.

Too summarize this spree of clip posting, I want to say that every single cab in the helix has almost infinite tones in it, that's before using EQ.
It has been months and months since 3.50 landed and I'm still discovering new tones every time I play with the cabs, mind blowing. :wat

Last edited:
It has been months and months since 3.50 landed and I'm still discovering new tones every time I play with the cabs, mind blowing. :wat
My mind was so blown that I had to put my stomp in a drawer after one week after the update… you’re definitely taking it slow… in a good way…
It’s better to be mind blown slowly than doing it like me and get burned out.

Fingering on that drawer knowing that little black box is sleeping inside…. My preeeeecious….

It’s better to be mind blown slowly than doing it like me and get burned out.
How did you get burned out?

I wouldn't say I take it slow, there's just SO much more flexibility in moving and blending virtual mics on virtual cabs that every time I play with it I discover and create new tones, I'm not kidding when I say there are infinite tones in there, IR's pale in comparison.
... and I'm using just one amp, PV Vitriol Lead.

When I read that people can't get a great sound out of the Helix in any situation, I just assume it's lack of experience and/or patience.

How did you get burned out?
not the helix cabs fault really. They’re great and probably exactly what I needed because they ended the use of IRs for me, which was way too time consuming and got me caught never ending search/content/discontent circles.

In the end I realized that I’ve spent to much time tweaking and testing things rather than just enjoy playing. So I needed to pack things up and breathe. I haven’t touched the guitar since November and I don’t plan to pick it up anytime soon unless I change my viewpoint and behavior regarding guitar playing and my relationship with these crazy machines (modelers).

I need something that limits my possibilities to get caught kinda. Going back to a few pedals and a single channel combo would be ideal. But as a homeplayer I don’t want that either. Luckily I get inspiration enough from this forum and you guys, to keep my chin up and find motivation and the fun in it.

Oof

So now I've got two screwed up encoders on my Stomp: the main one toward the top I just found out "skips" over an indent and therefore a block so I can't navigate to that specific block unless I "Pac-Man" around and make it so a different block gets skipped over. Then there's the third one under the screen that goes the wrong direction when I try to make it go anywhere. I guess a soft pedal bag wasn't the best to transport this thing around after all of these years.

Def no more floor modelers for me. Ugh I need to offload this HX Floor after I fix the switches

the main one toward the top I just found out "skips" over an indent and therefore a block so I can't navigate to that specific block unless I "Pac-Man" around and make it so a different block gets skipped over.

As unlikely as it may seem, but very likely it's a software issue as many people reported that behaviour after installing 3.5, myself included - it sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn't, pretty erratic, just what you'd expect from a worn out encoder, only that in this case, many people are experiencing the same thing.

Then there's the third one under the screen that goes the wrong direction when I try to make it go anywhere.

Oops, that's a new one to me.

Def no more floor modelers for me. Ugh I need to offload this HX Floor after I fix the switches

Well, it's not floor modelers in general, just some of them. Both my GT-5 and GT-10 have seen more of a beating than pretty much anything else in my arsenal, yet, they still work more or less as on day one (yes, I had to clean both of them from the inside, but that's been no drama, either).

As unlikely as it may seem, but very likely it's a software issue as many people reported that behaviour after installing 3.5, myself included - it sometimes happens, sometimes it doesn't, pretty erratic, just what you'd expect from a worn out encoder, only that in this case, many people are experiencing the same thing.
This really seems like a hardware thing though because it's consistent. I haven't counted the clicks yet. I can land on the Block if I land the knob in between the indents.
Oops, that's a new one to me.
Yeah, def not software because I can't talk about fight club
Well, it's not floor modelers in general, just some of them. Both my GT-5 and GT-10 have seen more of a beating than pretty much anything else in my arsenal, yet, they still work more or less as on day one (yes, I had to clean both of them from the inside, but that's been no drama, either).
That's our Boss™

Oof

So now I've got two screwed up encoders on my Stomp: the main one toward the top I just found out "skips" over an indent and therefore a block so I can't navigate to that specific block unless I "Pac-Man" around and make it so a different block gets skipped over. Then there's the third one under the screen that goes the wrong direction when I try to make it go anywhere. I guess a soft pedal bag wasn't the best to transport this thing around after all of these years.

Feel you… my stomp from -18 is also acting up since two years with the encoders, skips over and such. The main knob is the wonkiest and one of the ones under the screen. Mostly used mine at home, tried to blow carefully with a camera lens blower… but I suspect pressure air is next step.

Actually fingered on a friends brand spanking new stomp a while back and I can say one thing… they’ve must have changed or updated the clicky stuff in the encoders somewhere along the line, because that stomp had some serious great and super tight clicks in the encoders… mine is all soft and un-clicky… more like mushy steps.

I also have a problem with my Helix.
Every time I create a kick ass core tone I end up with 3 EQ blocks wasting routing space and barely using any DSP.

How about a more powerful 6 band parametric EQ block with freely assignable frequencies?
The current parametric block takes 3.5% DSP so a 7% block doubling the amount bands and a lot more free blocks in the routing chain, sounds like a good deal to me.

I also have a problem with my Helix.
Every time I create a kick ass core tone I end up with 3 EQ blocks wasting routing space and barely using any DSP.

How about a more powerful 6 band parametric EQ block with freely assignable frequencies?
7% DSP and a lot more free blocks in the routing chain, sounds like a good deal to me.
Probably not happening because it would have 20 pages on the Stomps.

The stomp should not limit the entire Helix ecosystem.
I use Helix Native the most, and a Floor.

You'd rather have less routing chain space than click a few pages?
Use HX Edit when creating core tones with a lot of EQ.... you don't have to use the 6 band either, the 3 band isn't going anywhere.

Anyway, Line 6, that's another idea that costs nothing and provides more power for everyone.

Last edited:
Back