Helix Talk

SCOOP! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

If you have been wondering what Apple has been doing with its enormous engineering resources after the failure of the Apple car project and the lacklustre response to Vision Pro, this is it:

Apple Inc. Reveals Secret Collaboration and Acquisition of YGG Which Will Revolutionize the Guitar Modelling Market
Cupertino, CA, October 1, 2024

We at Apple have been secretly working on "one more thing". But this time we did not do it alone. Since January 2023, we have been secretly collaborating with the brilliant engineers at Yamaha Guitar Group to take guitar playing to the next level. Due to the success of this collaboration Apple Inc. has decided to acquire YGG.

"Forget about the iPhone, forget about Spatial Computing. The future is Aural Computing and guitar and we at Apple will be in the vanguard of this new and exciting market"
- Tim 🍎

When we told Jony Ive about this, he immediately re-joined Apple and will report to Eric Klein who will lead the new Guitar Product Design division.

"I have been fascinated by guitars for a long time but always felt that there was distinct lack of aluminium. Amp modellers are another passion of mine but the amount of cables required never sat well with me. Have you seen an HX Stomp? It looks like a bloody octopus with all these appendages sticking out. We are going to right these wrongs!"
- Jony Ive

Introducing iHelix

The world's first true wireless guitar amp modeller with Aural Computing.
  • 7" Liquid Profiling Retina Display
  • M5 processor with integrated Aural Engine DSP
  • Connect your existing guitar and peripherals via iPhone with the new Apple Guitar Connection Kit (one iPhone and Connection Kit per connection required, sold separately)
  • The ultimate, pristine clean amp model: Apple Unsoiled
Need more than clean tones? We got you covered...

Introducing iHelix App Store

The world's first on-device amp and effect model store.

We at Apple and our launch partners have been hard at work to give you access to a wealth of additional amp and effect models that can be purchased directly on iHelix. Models from the following companies will be available at launch or shortly thereafter:

• Apple
    • Line 6 Legacy Collection
  • Kemper
    • Profiler Block
  • Neural DSP
    • soon...

Introducing Apple Guitar
Coming early 2025

The world's first aluminium unibody guitar.
  • Connects wirelessly to iHelix
  • iNeck
    • Revolutionary multitouch neck
    • Never change strings or tune again
    • Integrated fretless mode
    • Adjustable scale length
  • Apple Plectrum (sold separately)
    • Patented touchless strum and pick technology

You aren't thinking global and reaching new audiences.

Line6® has joined forces with Boeing® to bring the ailing air travel giant the publicity enema it desperately needs. Now all Business Class travelers can enjoy a complimentary Line6® Helix Native™ in their in-flight entertainment system. A Line6® Variax™ is provided for your playing needs, or bring your own guitar as carry-on (restrictions may apply). Rock out in the mile high club with Line6 x Boeing!

*Blowing the doors away with your shredding strictly prohibited.
*No Stairway to Heaven.

Waynes World No GIF

So I do still believe something is up with my HX one and should move forward with the replacement, as I still have my weird issues when setting to True Bypass and only in front of the amp/not in 4CM

However, just seeing this in the manual leads me to believe that with how my needs dictate with running in 4CM, if there was ever an issue with the device not being on/crashing again I still would not get an appropriate signal passing? am I understanding this right?

NOTE: If you’ve set the I/O Config to “Insert,” you’ll need to set the Bypass Type to “DSP” to allow your signal to continue to be fed through HX One’s Send and Return jacks when the device is bypassed.

Since I always use 4CM/DSP buffer anyway seems like a new unit might be moot for my needs anyway :idk

You aren't thinking global and reaching new audiences.

Line6® has joined forces with Boeing® to bring the ailing air travel giant the publicity enema it desperately needs. Now all Business Class travelers can enjoy a complimentary Line6® Helix Native™ in their in-flight entertainment system. A Line6® Variax™ is provided for your playing needs, or bring your own guitar as carry-on (restrictions may apply). Rock out in the mile high club with Line6 x Boeing!
Why are they called Boeing if they don't bounce when they fall?

me to believe that with how my n

Yeah if you are using the insert option to do 4cm and moving the HX One before the amp or in the fx loop on the fly you would need to leave it on DSP bypass. That said, I think the issue you encountered in pretty rare - generally you shouldn't have an issue with it cutting out like it did - there must have been something up with the pedal in the first place if true bypass wasn't working properly.

Yeah if you are using the insert option to do 4cm and moving the HX One before the amp or in the fx loop on the fly you would need to leave it on DSP bypass. That said, I think the issue you encountered in pretty rare - generally you shouldn't have an issue with it cutting out like it did - there must have been something up with the pedal in the first place if true bypass wasn't working properly.

Gotcha, yeah still going to have it replaced but seems like if unit 2 hypothetically ever crashed I'd still run into the same/similar problem with how I run it in my rig?

Obviously hopefully statistically I shouldn't have any freak incidents again though. And at least if I did, I have the experience now to have an additional thing to check for first in troubleshooting the rig :LOL:

Gotcha, yeah still going to have it replaced but seems like if unit 2 hypothetically ever crashed I'd still run into the same/similar problem with how I run it in my rig?

Obviously hopefully statistically I shouldn't have any freak incidents again though. And at least if I did, I have the experience now to have an additional thing to check for first in troubleshooting the rig :LOL:
Yep exactly right!

Yep exactly right!

I went back and did a once over just to make sure that I’m not being crazy and/or stupid, and interestingly enough running it just as a pedal up front no use of the other jacks not only is it a dramatic signal drop when switched to true bypass like in 4CM, there’s no signal passing -at all-

Getting it shipped out tomorrow to L6

I went back and did a once over just to make sure that I’m not being crazy and/or stupid, and interestingly enough running it just as a pedal up front no use of the other jacks not only is it a dramatic signal drop when switched to true bypass like in 4CM, there’s no signal passing -at all-

Getting it shipped out tomorrow to L6
It's likely defective.

When the HX is off or in true bypass it should behave like a TS to TS adapter directly routing Input L to Output L. There is a switching relay inside the device that mechanically routes the signal through the device after it's booted - you can hear it *click*.

Looking forward to getting the replacement in, had practice last night without and its crazy what an important piece of my rig its become. Realized when I got to practice "oh yeah, I sold my pitch black months ago I don't have a tuner" :LOL:

Mark IV lead channel is pretty noisy at band volumes, lack of the gating the HX one provides was very noticeable (Mark V is dead silent and that's what I had at the gig when I had to pull the HX so didn't really notice it then)

Some of our newer songs utilize pitch and synth fx from the HX so had to make some adjustments to how I was playing those as well

Despite the issue HX One still a 10/10 pedal for me

Looking forward to getting the replacement in, had practice last night without and its crazy what an important piece of my rig its become. Realized when I got to practice "oh yeah, I sold my pitch black months ago I don't have a tuner" :LOL:

Mark IV lead channel is pretty noisy at band volumes, lack of the gating the HX one provides was very noticeable (Mark V is dead silent and that's what I had at the gig when I had to pull the HX so didn't really notice it then)

Some of our newer songs utilize pitch and synth fx from the HX so had to make some adjustments to how I was playing those as well

Despite the issue HX One still a 10/10 pedal for me
Interesting how quickly we become reliant on great tools, isn’t it? Often times we don’t know the true value until it’s absent.

My last 2 bands have been heavily reliant on the feature set provided by the HXFX and Helix. Songs were written using things like the particle verb, feedbacker, etc where I’m pretty much married to this stuff now. Sounds aside, both devices are also handling switching and some MIDI duties.

If either device went down I’m not sure how we’d get by.

There was certainly some discussion, but Helices with a faster DSP would've pushed back what we're working on by at least a year.
If the new product is pushed back from 2028 to 2029 I'll take the Helix DSP update, but if it pushes a 2025 release then no.
If it's a 2025 release then you must be working on it for at least 2 years at this point.

Interesting how quickly we become reliant on great tools, isn’t it? Often times we don’t know the true value until it’s absent.

My last 2 bands have been heavily reliant on the feature set provided by the HXFX and Helix. Songs were written using things like the particle verb, feedbacker, etc where I’m pretty much married to this stuff now. Sounds aside, both devices are also handling switching and some MIDI duties.

If either device went down I’m not sure how we’d get by.
I came to the same conclusion. Nothing could adequately back up my Floor other than another Floor. So now I have 2.

Back