Helix Talk

Most of the time aliasing don't bother me, IMO the problem starts when these things start getting in the way of your playing. There's all these trails and sparkles at each palm mute, making the sound noisier and less natural.

I feel…. divided. In one way… I’m super jealous and salivate over any high end modeler regardless of brand.
On the other hand, not owning any of them anymore, feels such a relief. All the head ghosts and diving in and out of rabbit holes is long gone.

I watch you from a far… with envy and compassion.

I feel like I might be about to open a can of worms. Apologies in advance. Also, I'm not a bonefide expert in any of this stuff. But, Helix Native inside PluginDoctor reveals some interesting things.

Helix Native running at 44.1kHz sample-rate. With zero processing inside the plugin:

View attachment 26485
Helix Native running at 48kHz sample-rate. Again, with zero processing inside the plugin:

View attachment 26486

This shows us that at 44.1kHz sample-rate, even with no processing, Helix Native aliases.

Now at what point does this aliasing kick in? If we use the decibel range selector on the right hand side, we can check:

View attachment 26487

It seems that around -106.7dB, aliasing starts to kick in. That means signals from -106.7dB to -200dB will experience some form of aliasing. This is regardless of what processing is going on inside the plugin.

Here are the images for 88.2kHz:

View attachment 26488

And 96kHz:

View attachment 26489
Conclusion: If you care about this aliasing, do not run Helix Native at anything other than 48kHz sample-rate.

Whether this goes any way to explaining what @MirrorProfiles is reporting, I couldn't say at this stage. In theory even if humans cannot perceive these sounds directly, it could cause some sort of inter-modulation artifacts, which could be described as squirrels.
Oh My God Wow GIF

Nice!

I don't want to somehow magically open a wormhole that brings Nika Aldrich into this thread, but the fact that 44 and 88 are so similar and both so different than 48 and 96 has me a bit nostalgic.

R8 Brain is free, but not sure if its fast enough for realtime guitar modeling

Everything sounds AWESOME.

Someone posts an image.

THIS THING SOUNDS LIKE CRAP.

You can’t write this stuff.
It's a fact that can be perceived by different people with different setups and does not normally occur in the object being modeled and we want to learn more about it.

It was made clear that this may or may not interfere with your experience with the Helix, and for some, it has no importance at all. Some emphasize that the Helix continues to sound good regardless of this. From the perspective of those who care, data and graphs only bring benefits.

No one said it sounds like crap; now, if you or someone else comes to that conclusion just after seeing a graph and disregarding everything else, Well... (y)

It's a fact that can be perceived by different people with different setups and does not normally occur in the object being modeled and we want to learn more about it.

It was made clear that this may or may not interfere with your experience with the Helix, and for some, it has no importance at all. Some emphasize that the Helix continues to sound good regardless of this. From the perspective of those who care, data and graphs only bring benefits.

No one said it sounds like crap; now, if you or someone else comes to that conclusion just after seeing a graph and disregarding everything else, Well... (y)
Some forum members enjoyed the joke. Others clearly did not. I thought it was fun albeit an obvious exaggeration.

Anyway.

I enjoy most things about the Helix hardware I own. Helix is where I find the best fit for my needs (live and studio), but aliasing is an issue, particularly as the gain stages increase. It is what it is.

If someone can’t get great tones out of Helix, Helix isn’t the problem. We don’t need to pretend it’s perfect either.

Didn’t helix do really well in Cliff’s aliasing tests when the TMP came out?

At least that’s what I remember everyone saying. I don’t even really understand the graphs to be honest.
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Edit: I take that back. I understand Cliff's graphs. What I don't understand are the blue and orange ripply sunsets posted earlier in this thread, but they look cool.

Last edited:
Back