Helix Talk

I'll definitely try that!

Fwiw, for unknown reasons, Helix Native doesn't seem to do some things with sample accuracy. Might be some free running, non synced elements, I don't know. Anyway, that's why nulltests won't work.
However, as long as there's no dynamic FX in the chain, block placement usually doesn't matter. Your ears will very certainly not notice any differences.

I tried to get it to parse a hlx, file, it couldn't (yet) but the suggestions for effects are very cool.
This is editorialized but otherwise verbatim:

Me: Can I upload and hlx file for you to review?

I'll review your .hlx file and suggest improvements based on your request for U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name."

Let's take a look at your "Pacific Crush" preset and make adjustments for the desired delay settings. I'll load the file and provide feedback.

Let's begin by analyzing your .hlx file.
I'll extract the signal chain details from your file now.
Since I can't directly parse the .hlx file here, I'll outline how you can adjust your "Pacific Crush" preset to match the delay settings for U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" on your Line 6 Helix:

Me: You can parse the hlx file by treating it as json, that's what it is

Let's parse your .hlx file as JSON and review its contents to adjust it for the U2 delay settings.
I'll first read and parse the .hlx file to extract the signal chain details.

Parsing the .hlx File​

I'll extract and display the signal chain from the "Pacific Crush" preset.
Let's do this now.
It looks like the tone key isn't present in the JSON structure of your .hlx file. The structure may be slightly different. I'll re-examine the file to determine its layout and extract the relevant signal chain details accordingly.
Let's re-read the file and inspect its structure.

Parsing and Inspecting the .hlx File​

I'll display the top-level keys and a sample of the contents to understand the structure.

The .hlx file structure has these main sections:
  • data which contains device, meta, tone, and others.
  • The tone section, under dsp0 and dsp1, contains blocks representing various effects and their settings.

Signal Chain and Parameters​

Let's summarize the key elements of your "Pacific Crush" preset and plan adjustments for U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name."

Current Signal Chain Overview

Based on the structure:
  • dsp0 and dsp1 represent the two DSP paths in the Helix.
  • Blocks within dsp0 and dsp1 contain information about effects and their settings.
I'll extract the signal chain details from both DSP paths.

Extract Signal Chain​

Let's extract the effects and their parameters from both DSP paths.

It seems like I can’t do more advanced data analysis right now. Please try again later.

However, you can still manually adjust your "Pacific Crush" preset for U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" by following these steps:

I'd like to get delay settings for the U2 song "Where the streets have no name", it can be either is stereo or mono depending on what's true to the song, but the delays must go before the amp or amps.

To replicate the delay settings used in U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" on the Line 6 Helix, you can use the "Dual Delay" and "Mod/Chorus Echo" blocks. U2's guitarist, The Edge, is known for his use of stereo delays, but since you prefer to place the delays before the amp, we'll use mono blocks for simplicity. Here's a setup for both mono and stereo use:

Signal Chain Setup

1. Input Block
  2. Compressor (Optional)
  3. Dual Delay
  4. Mod/Chorus Echo
  5. Amp Block
  6. Output Block

Delay Settings

1. Dual Delay

• Time 1: 374 ms
  • Time 2: 500 ms
  • Feedback 1: 20%
  • Feedback 2: 35%
  • Mix: 35%
  • Note Sync: Off
  • Pan: Center
  • DSP: 4.48%

2. Mod/Chorus Echo

• Time: 500 ms
  • Mix: 25%
  • Rate: 2.0 Hz
  • Depth: 40%
  • Modulation: On
  • DSP: 8.67%

Amp Block

• Essex A30
    • Based on: Vox AC30
    • DSP: 30.32%

Complete Signal Chain Table

OrderBlockModel NameKey ParametersDSP Allocation
1Input---
2Compressor (Optional)---
3DelayDual DelayTime 1: 374 ms, Time 2: 500 ms, Feedback 1: 20%, Feedback 2: 35%, Mix: 35%4.48%
4DelayMod/Chorus EchoTime: 500 ms, Feedback: 20%, Mix: 25%, Rate: 2.0 Hz, Depth: 40%, Modulation: On8.67%
5AmpEssex A30Based on Vox AC30, Default Settings30.32%
6Output---
Note: If you prefer stereo effects and can place delays after the amp in your setup, you can use stereo blocks like "Ping Pong" and "Simple Delay" to enhance the spaciousness of the sound.

Suggestions for Enhancing the Tone:​

1. Compressor: Adding a compressor can help sustain and smooth out the delays, enhancing the clarity of each repeat.
  2. Reverb: Placing a subtle reverb after the delays can simulate the ambient sound of the recording.
Feel free to adjust the mix and feedback settings to better match your specific sound preference and environment.

Looks pretty smart and politically correct :rofl

IMG_8616.jpeg

I downloaded Helix Native tonight. I’m not sure if I just don’t know how to set it up but it’s kinda bleh. Could just be that it doesn’t work well with my computer speakers. I can’t dial out the flub in the bottom end.

It does sound much better with IRs than their cab sim. But still, meh.

Last edited:
Hardware is guitar plugged into PreSonus AudioBox USB‘s instrument input. Headphones plugged into back of PreSonus. Levels are set correctly, no clipping. Just trying the presets but they are pretty bad.

I’m dropping the plug-in onto an audio track in Ableton Live 12 lite.

Someone send me an export of a patch that sounds good. That way I’ll be able to know if it’s my DAW setup.

Last edited:
Hardware is guitar plugged into PreSonus AudioBox USB‘s instrument input. Headphones plugged into back of PreSonus. Levels are set correctly, no clipping. Just trying the presets but they are pretty bad.

I’m dropping the plug-in onto an audio track in Ableton Live 12 lite.

Someone send me an export of a patch that sounds good. That way I’ll be able to know if it’s my DAW setup.
What kind of headphones and what kind of computer speakers? Your output system is important. Dial in your own presets, don’t judge a system on its stock presets. If there’s too much bottom end, low cut

I made my own patch and it seems to be much better than any of the presets. Putting an EQ at the end helps a lot.

It’s strange how the plug-in works with the guitar volume knob. Like it has steps instead of a gradual change.

In my completely amateur opinion, IRs are definitely a must.

Back