Helix crisscross delay - revisit it

dk_ace

Roadie
I’ve been really happy with the stereo vintage digital and elephant man delays for a long time now, but decided to play more extensively with the others.

Crisscross beats vintage digital handily, and I never realized that when I tried it before. Set both delays to the same time, no crossfeed, so that it’s apples to apples. The modulation controls with that 90* offset between the delay lines is gorgeous. You have the same bit depth and sample rate controls as vintage digital, but then you also get high and low cuts to more directly get what you want tonally beyond that.

And then you have the crossfeed and separate delay lines if you want to mess with that too.

It’s a really stunning delay model, could be it’s own physical pedal and be a great one.

D

These Crisscross settings put a nice halo around the guitar tone.
Code:
Time A 375ms
Time B 500ms
Feedback A 60%
Feedback B 60%
Pan A L100
Pan B R100
Mix 20%
Crossfeed 3.5
Headroom +12
Mod Rate 2.4
Mod Depth 2.1
Shape Tri
Phase 180
BitDepth 12
Sample rate 16k
Low Cut 100
High Cut 2k

Is that John Mark Painters settings for copping the halo? I haven’t had a halo yet, but that looks like it would be pretty close to that basic vibe. I think the halo uses a sine wave based modulation instead of a triangle though, could be wrong. I’m going off of memory of something Keeley posted on the fractal forum.

D

Is that John Mark Painters settings for copping the halo? I haven’t had a halo yet, but that looks like it would be pretty close to that basic vibe. I think the halo uses a sine wave based modulation instead of a triangle though, could be wrong. I’m going off of memory of something Keeley posted on the fractal forum.

D
Yes. I saved it slightly modified as a favorite.

Yeah, I love that delay.
I saw it while setting up my first patch after downloading Native a couple days ago and went right for it. It's my happy place.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the controls yet. I'll definitely try John Mark Painter's setting above. :banana

Code:
Time A 375ms
Time B 500ms
Feedback A 60%
Feedback B 60%
Pan A L100
Pan B R100
Mix 20%
Crossfeed 3.5
Headroom +12
Mod Rate 2.4
Mod Depth 2.1
Shape Tri
Phase 180
BitDepth 12
Sample rate 16k
Low Cut 100
High Cut 2k
Edit: Credits to John Mark Painter for this.
I agree, and I have been using for some time these parameters by John Mark.
By the way, I see that you also changed the "headroom" value; his original post showed headroom -8, but the result was very bad for me, so I changed it into +8 and it was perfect.

I agree, and I have been using for some time these parameters by John Mark.
By the way, I see that you also changed the "headroom" value; his original post showed headroom -8, but the result was very bad for me, so I changed it into +8 and it was perfect.
I sneaked that headroom adjustment in 'cause people get irritated by it when used post amp.
Personally I use tempo-relative Time parameters: 1/8dot + 1/4.

Code:
Time A 375ms
Time B 500ms
Feedback A 60%
Feedback B 60%
Pan A L100
Pan B R100
Mix 20%
Crossfeed 3.5
Headroom +12
Mod Rate 2.4
Mod Depth 2.1
Shape Tri
Phase 180
BitDepth 12
Sample rate 16k
Low Cut 100
High Cut 2k
Edit: Credits to John Mark Painter for this.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this does not do the Halo thing at all. Dunno what JMP thought he was doing, I'm sure he has decent ears so... just making stuff up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dunno but not even close.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this does not do the Halo thing at all. Dunno what JMP thought he was doing, I'm sure he has decent ears so... just making stuff up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dunno but not even close.
I don’t know if it’s possible to completely emulate the Halo in the Helix.

Sounds cool, saved in favorites. Gives a nice ambient between Delay and Reverb. Does it sound like the *Halo*? Don't know, never even heard of that pedal.

0af615a61a427c9282934432ee8338a4.gif

Back