Have I found a bug in the Helix "Vintage Digital" Delay?

Cirrus

Roadie
@Digital Igloo hope you don't mind me tagging you. @Orvillain made me do it at gunpoint. He's a psychopath.

I was doing some soft playing and the patch I most often use has a Vintage Digital delay set to 12 bit & 16kHz for that 1980s thing. But I was hearing the quantisation noise in the low level stuff in the repeats because I have it pre-amp block so I guess that's bringing up the low level noise due to the amp (Essex 30, set clean) compression.

So I increased the bit depth from 12 to 16, and the quantisation noise increased. Strange, I thought. 14 & 24 bit saw the quantisation noise go down in level like you'd expect, but 16 bit is roughly on a par with 10 bit, just with a different sound to the quantisation distortion.
Gooby.png

I was on 3.11 so updated to 3.60, but it didn't change anything.

I've done a couple of test clips, using the signal generator block at very low level to produce a single sine wave to more easily hear what the delay block is doing, then jacking up the level after that.

There's a click which happens every time I switch to 16 bit, so watch your monitor level. In the three clips it starts on 6 bit and moves up through the bit depths, the click always shows when I get to 16 bit.

@Digital Igloo hope you don't mind me tagging you. @Orvillain made me do it at gunpoint. He's a psychopath.

I was doing some soft playing and the patch I most often use has a Vintage Digital delay set to 12 bit & 16kHz for that 1980s thing. But I was hearing the quantisation noise in the low level stuff in the repeats because I have it pre-amp block so I guess that's bringing up the low level noise due to the amp (Essex 30, set clean) compression.

So I increased the bit depth from 12 to 16, and the quantisation noise increased. Strange, I thought. 14 & 24 bit saw the quantisation noise go down in level like you'd expect, but 16 bit is roughly on a par with 10 bit, just with a different sound to the quantisation distortion.
View attachment 6794
I was on 3.11 so updated to 3.60, but it didn't change anything.

I've done a couple of test clips, using the signal generator block at very low level to produce a single sine wave to more easily hear what the delay block is doing, then jacking up the level after that.

There's a click which happens every time I switch to 16 bit, so watch your monitor level. In the three clips it starts on 6 bit and moves up through the bit depths, the click always shows when I get to 16 bit.

Somebody mentioned this on TGP a year or two ago as well. I don’t remember seeing anything further on it but it does seem amiss for sure.

Back