“Overpriced”

For me it is a case of comparing to other products on the market, and also what it can do for me that my other gear can't. Which to be fair at this point isn't really that much. I'm not lacking for anything, so I'm in a position where any new bit of gear really has to justify itself.

I'm kind of over the whole cycle of trying to nickel and dime myself because I'm too cheap to pay the asking price the first time round.... because after 4 different things, I always end up coming back to the thing I wanted in the first place.

Workflow also counts for a lot for me. The Boss ES8 is a lot cheaper than the GigRig G3, but when it is all said and done, the G3 is easier to program and takes less time to get where you need. The extra money is worth it in that case.

Take a look at the Schmidt Array pedalboards and try and convince me they're worth the outlay. They're not. But they are beautiful, and influencers push them, so people buy them.

Yup some things are expensive but if we want it and can afford it we will buy it
I always shop on a price performance ratio for most gear especially guitars, and while yes my Fractal setup is expensive for me, its worth it because of the use it gets, therefore not overpriced.
There is a lot of gear that is IMHO very overpriced one recent item that comes to mind is the Slash Magnatone head and cab, especially the cab lol that def qualifies as overpriced in my world

Last edited:
At the moment it would be unaffordable for me.

It’s a moot point anyway because that item doesn’t exist.

And it’s neither here nor there because I find the concept of things being “overpriced” to be nonsensical economically speaking, just as “overrated” is nonsensical when it comes to musicians.
Okay guy. :rofl

Yup some things are expensive but if we want it and can afford it we will buy it
I always shop on a price performance ratio for most gear especially guitars, and while yes my Fractal setup is expensive for me, its worth it because of the use it gets, therefore not overpriced.
There is a lot of gear that is IMHO very overpriced one recent item that comes to mind is the Slash Magnatone head and cab, especially the cab lol that def qualifies as overpriced in my world
Yes, I agree. Fractal products are expensive for me and I cannot afford them at the moment, but I definitely would say that they are NOT overpriced, they are extremely great value for money, and I will get them one day when I can afford. TMP and the Kemper profile player (at $1000CAD in Canada) definitely overpriced IMO. The Zoom flagship floorboard, overpriced. Headrush Prime, overpriced.

Yes, I agree. Fractal products are expensive for me and I cannot afford them at the moment, but I definitely would say that they are NOT overpriced, they are extremely great value for money, and I will get them one day when I can afford. TMP and the Kemper profile player (at $1000CAD in Canada) definitely overpriced IMO. The Zoom flagship floorboard, overpriced. Headrush Prime, overpriced.
Yup up here in Québec Canada and our retarded taxes it give a whole new meaning to Overpriced lol

My father once told me you don't go into a restaurant and then complain to the waiter about the prices. If in your opinion the food costs too much, don't eat there.
That’s especially good advice in restaurants - any retaliation could be rather unsavoury!

That’s especially good advice in restaurants - any retaliation could be rather unsavoury!

Ya know, in over 20 years of the restaurant business, 5 different states and probably 25-30 different restaurants, I’ve never actually seen or heard of anyone doing anything to a customer’s food outside of whatever the hell they have to do to get the customer out of the building ASAP.

Now to other employees, that’s a whole different story. We used to play soccer on the kitchen floor with shrimp because there was one server who used to steal shrimp whenever a cook would put them in the holding window and then lie about it. So she got soccer shrimp for about a month.

Good topic, seems like everyone has their own interpretation of overpriced.

To me, it depends on price vs. what I'll get, which means features (hardware and software), quality control, durability, and future product support/updates, etc.

Imho, what Fender did with the TMP is not very smart. Many believe they underdelivered at the time of release (this can be the death of a product) while giving it a premium price. Sorry to say this, but I hope future firmware updates change the TMP in a way that enables further competition, rather than ending up like "uhh, wasn't that the ill-fated Fender modeler that came out and crashed?". I really hope they learn and evolve the product. All the best to them.

Other companies give premium prices for "sleek" Apple- or Tesla-esque looks, while releasing a somewhat unfinished product, only to probably spend huge amounts of cash on shill postings and a flood of weird accounts with single-digit message counts. 😁

BUT: There's obviously a wide market for such stuff. I didn't expect that, although when I think about it again, it doesn't come as a big surprise. The pricing is part of the marketing strategy, maybe more than it is to cover production costs. Best example: Red Bull

For me, everything is a consideration. Ultimately, without good sound a digital modeller is a non-starter but the build quality has to at least be good enough. A difficulty can lie in where the build quality and sound quality don’t quite seem to match because it takes time to truly check out sound quality in all areas whereas build quality is apparent quite quickly. So great build quality is a guide, but no more than that! Usually those things go hand-in-hand but not always….

Good topic, seems like everyone has their own interpretation of overpriced.

To me, it depends on price vs. what I'll get, which means features (hardware and software), quality control, durability, and future product support/updates, etc.

Imho, what Fender did with the TMP is not very smart. Many believe they underdelivered at the time of release (this can be the death of a product) while giving it a premium price. Sorry to say this, but I hope future firmware updates change the TMP in a way that enables further competition, rather than ending up like "uhh, wasn't that the ill-fated Fender modeler that came out and crashed?". I really hope they learn and evolve the product. All the best to them.

Other companies give premium prices for "sleek" Apple- or Tesla-esque looks, while releasing a somewhat unfinished product, only to probably spend huge amounts of cash on shill postings and a flood of weird accounts with single-digit message counts
. 😁

BUT: There's obviously a wide market for such stuff. I didn't expect that, although when I think about it again, it doesn't come as a big surprise. The pricing is part of the marketing strategy, maybe more than it is to cover production costs. Best example: Red Bull
qc?

A thing is "overpriced" when it doesn't sell and the company ends up dropping prices to try to keep making money, discontinues the product because it's unprofitable, or goes out of business. Just about every other time it's used, it's an individual value judgement.

overinflated due to market supply and demand

That is literally the only way pricing winds up fair.

If people don't buy your stuff, your prices are too high.
If you can't keep it in stock because it keeps selling out, your prices are too low.

It's not that complicated.

“overpriced” ... ‘not worth it’

Those phrases are almost interchangeable. In most cases, you can safely replace "it's overpriced" with "I wouldn't pay that much for it". The only real difference is that the first sounds like an objective statement of fact and the second is obviously an opinion.

That is a word used by people who think that their opinion is the only valid one, and I generally do not have much respect for that type of mindset.

Agreed.

Hold my beer ..... I repeat myself and present to you:-

Mac Pro Stand US $999

Mac Pro Wheels US $699

2 x 32gig Mac Ram US $1299

Thread over ! :)

Ben

So....this is one of those things where you're kind of right...but if we're arguing semantics, I think there are better examples and phrases.

The new Mac Pro is not overpriced, it's an abomination. At those prices, they should be competing with Xeon Scalable and Epyc workstation class systems. Instead, they try to compete with Core and Ryzen desktop systems so that they come out on top most of the time. They only make any kind of objective sense for specific types of video work, and only when you're not comparing them to similarly priced systems.

I am an Apple user - the trade-offs involved are a little better right now than the trade-offs involved in running Windows. But, their hardware is objectively worse than PC hardware in most respects other than certain synthetic benchmarks, especially when value comes into play. They get away with it because of a handful of loss leaders (macOS and Logic come to mind for "us" as well as iCloud for non-dorks) combined with aesthetic design, lifestyle marketing, and a reputation for making things "just work" that they haven't really deserved in years.

Grey Goose is a better example. Their story is kind of insane.

They had the marketing, packaging, ads, and placements in media (esp. Sex and the City) before they owned a distillery. The characters on SatC literally started ordering it in the show before the company had a product to sell.

After the demand for this new high-end vodka was observed out in real life, they bought a failing cognac distillery in France and made them switch to making vodka. Reportedly, they never even cared if it was good vodka...they just wanted every batch to be the same.

It's a masterclass in marketing. But, the product they were selling, at least at the beginning, was being seen ordering Grey Goose...they were selling looking fancy. The vodka itself was inconsequential. Now...people only buy it out of something like behavioral inertia, and they only still make it because their costs are so low that it's still profitable.

Red Bull at least has a unique flavor.

Back