Guitar Cables

Stone

Rock Star
What you guys use ? Any preference? Do you put any stock in tone? or more into value and durability?

Cheers

Ernie Ball Braided Instrument Cable.

None have failed yet and I prefer the braided feel when coiling them up. I also like the look of 'em. The colours also mean that I can spot them apart from other cables too.

I like these, solid construction, inexpensive
but most of all they tone match my LTD black and gold and my Gold Charvel :D

t%C2%A6%2Bs%C2%A3%C3%AA-9.jpg

I've had all kinds.. I can't tell a difference.

Although, you used to be able to bring a shorted out monster back to gc and they would swap out a new one no questions asked.

Braided cables trigger me. They tangle easily and most of them look tacky. Low-profile black look is my jam. I have a bunch of cables, no real preference, I use a wireless for my guitar. The only issue to speak of is a Monoprice cable from Amazon exhibiting some crosstalk

Boss makes a great guitar cord :bag
They really do.

I buy the cheapest off of Amazon lol Ive had some higher end ones and outside of durability, I don't notice a difference.

I'm sure there is a happy medium

This is what I was doing for quite a while and I got lucky, it took 5 years for those cables to die, the last one died yesterday. Hopefully I can just re-solder the jacks back on and everything will be fine. I think I’m going to order a spool of Mogami and a ton of Switchcraft ends to just make my own from now on.

Making my own since forever. I always get surprised when people talk about cables, because I forget people buy them as a finished product.

FWIW there is a Clone Mogami cable called worlds best cable uses the same cable as Mogami (Mogmi 2524) and has Neutrick Connectors for 1/3 the price
15 Foot with Silent connector price is CDN, will be even Less in the USA

1675082238469.png

I spend a bit extra on Yorkville Studio One cables for everything (guitar, pedalboard, 4cm, TRS). Pricier than some, but also not crazily-priced. They are extremely well made and last a long time, sound great too. I have ones I've been gigging with for 10 years and they're still going strong. (Yorkville is the “Long & Unpaid“ house brand here in Canada, as @Stone knows.)

Oddly enough I never noticed a difference in guitar cables until one day when I was playing my Rickenbacker 4001 bass through a cheap cable and thought it sounded dull, I switched to a higher quality cable (don't remember the brand) and I noticed the high end come alive. After that I bought a few high end cables, but I came to the conclusion that extremely high end cables are not really needed, I just avoid the really cheep ones. IMHO

I have two cables that have lasted well over a decade. One is a Monster Performer 100, one of their cheaper ones. The other is Planet Waves American Stage. Very impressed by both considering how I burned through cheap cables as a teen.

Also a long time ago I realized cheap cables were sounding dull compared to higher quality cables. I tried a lot of cables I had sitting around.

Tried ordering some Canare cable and Neutrik plugs and making my own. But I found some of those cables actually sounded better or worse depending on how good a job I did soldering, and they were a real pain to put together. Also they tangled easily.

I ended up ordering some higher end braided cables from Lava and they were really well built and didn’t tangle. But the low end Monster cable I got as a throw in with a used amp actually sounded better. When I sold off almost all my guitar stuff I sold those Lava cables as well.

And that Monster cable I still use today. Even though I was never a fan of Monster cables as overpriced and overhyped back in the day.

Like I said I also got a Planet Waves cable which is really good and more durable and not too expensive. They are lower capacitance too. I’d get another if I needed it for gigging.

On my pedalboard I just got a pack of Dunlop patch cables last week. They have the pancake jacks for lower profile and are nice quality and flexible. Not Gucci cables but way better than the cheap no names I was using.

Usually soldering my own. Sommer Cable. "The Spirit" for unbuffered instrument cables, "Tricone" for buffered signals. Neutrik (straight) or HiCon (angled) plugs for instrument cables, cheaper plugs for patch cables - but for my last pedalboard built I also bought a bunch of those extra flat preconfigured ones.

I always just bough inexpensive but "decent" cables until I saw Pete Thorn's cable video. It's a good watch. I bought a couple of the Planet Waves cables he talks about in the video.

Oddly enough I never noticed a difference in guitar cables until one day when I was playing my Rickenbacker 4001 bass through a cheap cable and thought it sounded dull, I switched to a higher quality cable (don't remember the brand) and I noticed the high end come alive. After that I bought a few high end cables, but I came to the conclusion that extremely high end cables are not really needed, I just avoid the really cheep ones. IMHO

I am with you in the middle. Some of them (I am talking to you George L) have such low capacitance that they make
everything a bit bright and too forward for me.

Back