Guitar Cables

I have a bunch I like, my standard is neutrik connections and Mogami 2524 . I like George L and lava Ultramafic for acoustic. I also like the USA planet waves in the video. Some stuff can be a little harsh with single coil pickups but I tend to agree with John Suhr on this. Plug your guitar in to your amp directly and see if you like the sound. The other big thing is the cost is not a great indicator beyond the middle range. Monster sucks on every level and in the higher tier of price. I have also tried solid silver core cables but I don’t like the EQ effect.

i use a buncha stuff but i'm not that picky.

that said, i have a really nice van den hul cable that i use when recording, and i use some evidence stuff, as well--a lyric, a lyric HG, and a forte, and i think a melody somewhere.

other than that, it's pretty much standard canare and mogami. i have a few other cables, like a sinasoid sable and i think a belden one that someone made for me. and some monsters.

I use Klotz La Grange. Mostly because
  1. It has been easily available in my country.
  2. It hasn't been too expensive. I usually bought a 9m cable, cut it in half and turned it into two 4.5m cables for less than buying two 4.5m cables separately.
  3. It's low capacitance.
  4. Neutrik plugs.
Low capacitance cable + Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs, all is well.

For patch cables I use Evidence Audio Monorail because the plugs take little space and the cable is very easy to assemble at the exact length needed.

I hate the way Evidence Audio peddles overpriced, mystery capacitance cables with all kinds of marketing speak so I can't recommend the company even though the products are fine.

IMO you should not buy anything that doesn't report capacitance per meter or feet numbers.

Value and durability. In 30 years of performance no one ever told me I sucked because I used the wrong cable. They told me I sucked because I sucked.

FWIW there is a Clone Mogami cable called worlds best cable uses the same cable as Mogami (Mogmi 2524) and has Neutrick Connectors for 1/3 the price
15 Foot with Silent connector price is CDN, will be even Less in the USA

View attachment 4091

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. Will check it out and report back.

I’m picky about a lot of parts of my rig, but cables isn’t one of them.

The 60 show run I just finished I did with a couple no-name generic ones I’ve had around for 15-20 years.

I usually just look around the store for the pile of bargain cables when I need a new one

FWIW there is a Clone Mogami cable called worlds best cable uses the same cable as Mogami (Mogmi 2524) and has Neutrick Connectors for 1/3 the price
15 Foot with Silent connector price is CDN, will be even Less in the USA

View attachment 4091

Mine arrived on Friday. I picked up two; one with a right angle plug and one with just straight ones.

Looking forward to trying them out. A lot cheaper than the Mogami Golds I'd been using. Thanks again for the tip!

I just received 3 - 15 foot cables from Rattlesnake Cable. Their cables are milled in the USA and come with Neutrik ends ( buyers choice of nickle or gold ) and come with a lifetime warranty. They are located in Montanna. Are they the most expensive ? No. But they are not the cheapest either.

An American company. Here is their website :

I replaced all my cables with D'Addario "Custom" series cables. I've had great luck with the Planet Waves stuff over the years.

Had a bunch of Players Circle points, so I got a few 5' cables, a 10' cable, and a speaker cable for free.

I just received 3 - 15 foot cables from Rattlesnake Cable. Their cables are milled in the USA and come with Neutrik ends ( buyers choice of nickle or gold ) and come with a lifetime warranty. They are located in Montanna. Are they the most expensive ? No. But they are not the cheapest either.

An American company. Here is their website :

ive been looking at this one

1719523958629.png

I've had some George L's from the early 2Ks and they do provide more clarity (lower capacitance; it really works), but I use generic guitar store cables. I don't run through a million stomps and I don't need the extra clarity.

I also dig PigHog Armor Clad because they look fucking cool, don't get twisted up and are puppy-chew and squish-with-your-foot proof. And they're fricking METAL as fuck (literally). :headbang

PHAC20_front_REV_3252x.jpg

PHAC20_back_REV_3245x.jpg

I've had some George L's from the early 2Ks and they do provide more clarity (lower capacitance; it really works), but I use generic guitar store cables. I don't run through a million stomps and I don't need the extra clarity.

I also dig PigHog Armor Clad because they look fucking cool, don't get twisted up and are puppy-chew and squish-with-your-foot proof. And they're fricking METAL as fuck (literally). :headbang

PHAC20_front_REV_3252x.jpg

PHAC20_back_REV_3245x.jpg
Holy crap those cables look incredible!

I read a review that said regarding their capacitance "The vintage series instrument cables are 36pF/ft."

Is that considered high? If so, would the non-vintage cables likely have less?

Last edited:
Holy crap those cables look incredible!

I read a review that said regarding their capacitance "The vintage series instrument cables are 36pF/ft."

Is that considered high? If so, would the non-vintage cables likely have less?

They really are. But be careful if you like to hook your guitar cable into your strap (rudimentary "cable lock" playing live) - that's metal :headbangand can scratch your finish.

Normally I'm into the fine details with gear, but this is one area I don't care about primarily because I have no need to care about it (cable capacitance). I get killer tone with cheap ass cables just as well. So, I don't have a clue as to your question.

That being said (capacitance and its effect on tone), I am into the buffer vs. true bypass stompbox thing; which I may post about some time.

Back