Guitar Cables

I've had some George L's from the early 2Ks and they do provide more clarity (lower capacitance; it really works), but I use generic guitar store cables. I don't run through a million stomps and I don't need the extra clarity.

I also dig PigHog Armor Clad because they look fucking cool, don't get twisted up and are puppy-chew and squish-with-your-foot proof. And they're fricking METAL as fuck (literally). :headbang

PHAC20_front_REV_3252x.jpg

PHAC20_back_REV_3245x.jpg
I've had that cable for a few years, most tangle-free cable I've ever used, just fantastic in that regard. Unfortunately it died on my after a couple years. Wish they could make it with better plugs.

I've had that cable for a few years, most tangle-free cable I've ever used, just fantastic in that regard. Unfortunately it died on my after a couple years. Wish they could make it with better plugs.
Solder better plugs on then.

Find the cable you like per metre and add the price of two neutrik plugs ,if you can find that buy it or make your own.

The cables I use are made from Mogami W2524 instrument cable and either Amphenol TM2PNJ or Neutrik NP2XX and Neutrik NP3X-B plugs. If I'm feeling lazy I will have the fine folks at Performance Audio solder them for me (which only costs $8 extra), but usually I just order the parts and do the work myself.

I been using the Sommer Spirit LLX instrument cables for years. I tried a bunch a different cables before and so far the Sommer Spirit LLX between 10'-20' have been the best quality, durability and sound for the money. Sturdy and sound great. Less resistance per given length than many other cables, so less high end loss. Super quiet crisp and clear for recording and performing. Medium priced, not super expensive.

I been using the Sommer Spirit LLX instrument cables for years. I tried a bunch a different cables before and so far the Sommer Spirit LLX between 10'-20' have been the best quality, durability and sound for the money. Sturdy and sound great. Less resistance per given length than many other cables, so less high end loss. Super quiet crisp and clear for recording and performing. Medium priced, not super expensive.

LLX is the lowest capacitance cable you can buy, I'm going to get some for my fx loop run to/from pedal board.
In front of the amp I prefer more capacitance.

LLX is the lowest capacitance cable you can buy, I'm going to get some for my fx loop run to/from pedal board.
Koo, yeah, I use a higher capacitance Vox 29.5 foot cable in front of the amp too sometimes to attenuate the highs. I got a bunch of 'em on sale 3 years ago for like $35 bucks apiece. They gone up in price since then.

IMG_1370(1).jpg
IMG_0359.jpg

Last edited:

I snagged some George L cables and that low capacitance was like someone cranked the Treble and Presence
on my amps. :idk

Helped me realize that there are no absolutes with gear and that everything is related to everything else. Context
always matters!

I prefer cables with quantum directionality so all the electrons flow from my fingers, through the
strings and pickups, out through the pots and jack, and into the cable. That means every electron
possible hits the front end of my amp or modeler.

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Last edited:
I prefer cables with quantum directionality so all the electrons flow from my fingers, through the
strings and pickups, out through the pots and jack, and into the cable so every electron possible
hits the front end of my amp or modeler.

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards
Do you us cable bridges for the free flow of electrons not being interrupted by the gravity ?

Guitar Player did an Instrument Cable breakdown years ago that was very insightful and informative.

I can't find a link to the article on line. :idk

Back