Guitar Cables

Here are the specs for the Rattlesnake guitar cable...if anyone is interested.

• Conductor/Shield 99.95% OFBC
  • Capacitance at 20-25pF/ft @ 15'
  • Braided OFBC copper shield (95% coverage)
  • 20AWG stranded OFBC conductor
  • 1/4" Neutrik NP2X Plugs
  • Cable milled in the United States
  • Cable hand-assembled in Missoula, Montana

LLX is the lowest capacitance cable you can buy, I'm going to get some for my fx loop run to/from pedal board.
In front of the amp I prefer more capacitance.
I use the LLX for years and also for my patch cables and pedalboard together with Neutrik plugs, I can highly recommend it.

I snagged some George L cables and that low capacitance was like someone cranked the Treble and Presence
on my amps. :idk

Helped me realize that there are no absolutes with gear and that everything is related to everything else. Context
always matters!
Everythang is everythang!

img3339-0.jpg

Here are the specs for the Rattlesnake guitar cable...if anyone is interested.

• Conductor/Shield 99.95% OFBC
  • Capacitance at 20-25pF/ft @ 15'
  • Braided OFBC copper shield (95% coverage)
  • 20AWG stranded OFBC conductor
  • 1/4" Neutrik NP2X Plugs
  • Cable milled in the United States
  • Cable hand-assembled in Missoula, Montana
I have never done any direct comparisons, but I have been using Rattlesnake cables for about 4 years now and really like them. They do a great job in tangle prevention and as previously mentioned the owner Hank seems like a real stand-up guy! Get the "snakehead" on your cables if you order some. Does not cost any extra (at least it did not when I bought my half a dozen) and it is nice to have a smooth rubber surface on the 18" of cable that goes into the guitar (so the kevlar sheath does not scratch your guitar surface if you are running it through strap area).

It was mandatory in the audio program I attended that we learn to construct TS and TRS 1/4 inch and XLR cables. I continued making my own cables up until a couple years ago when I came across the D’addario American Stage series. I’ve had the same 6 cables for 5 years now with 1 painlessly replaced under warranty and no other issues.

Funny enough my electronics professor was emphatic about using low capacitance wire - I’ve always opted for the lowest capacitance I could find.

I always been a believer in getting low capacitance cables and if I need to reduce brightness I can add a little capacitance by turning the tone knob. In effect this is the same as having a higher capacitance cable. You can always increase capacitance with the tone knob (add capacitance) but you can't reduce capacitance (increase highs) beyond what your cable and the rest of your signal chain give you. Here's a couple a quotes from a interesting article that I linked below.

"When you turn it (the tone knob) the effect you hear is the high frequencies reducing, but they are not being ‘thrown away’."

"Increasing the capacitance of the pickup moves the resonant frequency to the left on the graph – towards the lower frequencies. So if we increase the capacitance we change the voice of the pickup to favour lower frequencies."

Back