Grunge VS Hair Metal

• Grunge

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Hair Metal

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Reggaeton

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
none of them is my favourite genre but I'd choose grunge over hair metal.
Thank you for not choosing Reggaeton
Sad The Office GIF

I'm guessing this sort of might depend on when you grew up. I was in middle school as grunge got big so that will always be my jam and i kinda thought hair metal was too cheesy/dated even though I was able to love early Metallica and Megadeth based on having an older brother giving me albums.

I could see loving hair metal though, I'm sure it was a blast if you were there and had a good coke connect. At least there were chicks at the shows and dudes who tried to look like them lol.

I was born in ‘82, so while I heard a ton of hair metal from my cousins/uncle, one of the first CD’s I ever bought was Nirvana’s Nevermind.

And while I don’t consider AIC to be a grunge band, they’re often tossed in that pile, but I found them fairly quickly and they solidified my love for the darker vibe of music. I dig some stuff that can be considered hair metal, that discussion often gets into the same debates as ‘Is AIC a grunge band’, some will say Whitesnake isn’t a hair band, others will argue they most certainly were….I don’t really care what they’re titled as, I dig a lot of their stuff. Same with Crue and Def Leppard. I don’t know where the ’hair’ aspect begins or ends, I just like catchy songs.

I'm guessing this sort of might depend on when you grew up. I was in middle school as grunge got big so that will always be my jam and i kinda thought hair metal was too cheesy/dated even though I was able to love early Metallica and Megadeth based on having an older brother giving me albums.

I could see loving hair metal though, I'm sure it was a blast if you were there and had a good coke connect. At least there were chicks at the shows and dudes who tried to look like them lol.
Metallica and Megadeth aren't hair metal though :hmm:grin

There were a couple hair metal bands I still enjoy to this day like Cinderella and Great White but much more "grunge bands" that I enjoy. Just a half dozen off the top of my head are Soundgarden, AIC, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, STP, and Pearl Jam

First wave of grunge was awesome. Though the Pearl Jam window of enjoyment for me was about as narrow of an opening as you ever going to get. Oh he's a baritone-y mush mouth complaining about success and he wants to emulate Neil Young? Sign me up! :oops: :wat

Metallica and Megadeth aren't hair metal though :hmm:grin

very true. what i meant to say is that i still was able to get into music from the era when hair metal was being made. when i listened to metallica and megadeth in middle school it didnt give that same cheesy/dated vibe that i got from hair metal.

very true. what i meant to say is that i still was able to get into music from the era when hair metal was being made. when i listened to metallica and megadeth in middle school it didnt give that same cheesy/dated vibe that i got from hair metal.
Well and to be fair; the Black Album was pretty much the Metallica equivalent of hair metal for me :rofl Whether it shared the same lyrical slant or not.

I liked a specific window of hair metal. And grunge; if we're being honest. I LOVED the first few Soundgarden albums as well as some AiC as well as Nirvana. I dug other things in that era as well, RHCP, Weezer, No Doubt, Faith No More. We may have had to say goodbye to Winger but I think it was worth it :chef

Born in '83 so grew up listening to hard rock "hair metal" stuff on the radio, then was really captured by the grunge/alt-rock songs that took over. The rock music of the 90's felt much more like "my" music where the earlier stuff felt like my parents' music.

The music I really love sits somewhere kind of in the middle. Stuff with a heavy Black Sabbath influence, darker and heavier, but with well written catchy songs. So that's most of the stuff in the 90-94 era of AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, but also Wylde era Ozzy, GNR, etc. I'm not as much into the super raw grunge stuff like Melvins or Mudhoney, or the super cheesy hair metal like Great White or Poison.

Born in '83 so grew up listening to hard rock "hair metal" stuff on the radio, then was really captured by the grunge/alt-rock songs that took over. The rock music of the 90's felt much more like "my" music where the earlier stuff felt like my parents' music.

The music I really love sits somewhere kind of in the middle. Stuff with a heavy Black Sabbath influence, darker and heavier, but with well written catchy songs. So that's most of the stuff in the 90-94 era of AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, but also Wylde era Ozzy, GNR, etc. I'm not as much into the super raw grunge stuff like Melvins or Mudhoney, or the super cheesy hair metal like Great White or Poison.
I might be alone in this but G'N'R is in my top 3 of artists I immediately change the "channel" when they come on. I can't even quantify what causes this it's just reflex at this point.

Bad Bunny GIF by 2022 MTV Video Music Awards

No love for Bad Bunny?

Just fucking joking!

I prefer Hair Metal but grew up on grunge. So both(?). Alive in Chains straddled that line…

Well and to be fair; the Black Album was pretty much the Metallica equivalent of hair metal for me :rofl Whether it shared the same lyrical slant or not.

I liked a specific window of hair metal. And grunge; if we're being honest. I LOVED the first few Soundgarden albums as well as some AiC as well as Nirvana. I dug other things in that era as well, RHCP, Weezer, No Doubt, Faith No More. We may have had to say goodbye to Winger but I think it was worth it :chef
I liked Winger…
:sofa

They were amazing musicians but had to make a living. You know, like Mr. Big and Damn Yankees.

Also, I still think the Cherry Pie album is amazing… except for the stupid title track.

Back