Pushing myself - taking gigs outside my comfort zone

Wait, they're expecting you to play 16th-triplets (or even seventuplets) at 134BPM?
W/o grabbing my guitar, I recognize bar 34 to be the solo to Don't Stop Believin. Those fast riffs are do-able, but you'd need to have already worked on legato runs like that.

That run-up to that solo took me a lot of practice; it was one of the first riffs I had my eye on when I started to get serious about wanting to be able to play those kinds of crazy riffs. And it's picked.

Which is what you were quoting.

rake-kotmadam.gif

I wasn't aware of this musical until you posted it, so I looked it up online. Yeah you have your work cut out for you. There's plenty of stuff in just what you've posted that, even with as hard as I've been going at it for the past several years, I couldn't do. (Not saying that I'm some fantastic guitarist by any stretch.)

I can play some intense stuff these days. But being able to play all sorts of different riffs, written by all sorts of different guitarists, who can play TF out of their own stuff, but would most likely be lost playing other guys' hard material..., is a whole nother thing!

Good luck! I know there'd be many parts I'd simply have to change. But there would also be many of those riffs that I would do my best to try and add to my own skill set, for sure. As time permits, of course. Which is always the challenge when it comes to learning others' music, as we age and have adult-type responsibilities all vying for our time.

Index finger bar on the 9th fret D-G-B strings. The C# 3rd note is ring finger 11th fret D string and then a pull off to the B note.
Leaves your pinky to play the extra top notes.

????

Yeah, that’s a possibility. Those string skips are brutal though! For the C# I almost have to jump to the e string which makes it a skip over the b string and all on the same fret

W/o grabbing my guitar, I recognize bar 34 to be the solo to Don't Stop Believin. Those fast riffs are do-able, but you'd need to have already worked on legato runs like that.

That run-up to that solo took me a lot of practice; it was one of the first riffs I had my eye on when I started to get serious about wanting to be able to play those kinds of crazy riffs. And it's picked.

Yeah! And the section at 43-59 is the chorus

This line is giving me trouble. I can’t seem to find a way to make it lay well on the fretboard. Any suggestions?

134bpm and the G and C are sharp

View attachment 28293
I tried 4 different ways, and the easiest was 1st and 2nd strings: 4-0, 2-0, then move the 4 to 7 then 9. That was the only way I could play it at tempo. Palm mute for the staccato.

I tried 4 different ways, and the easiest was 1st and 2nd strings: 4-0, 2-0, then move the 4 to 7 then 9. That was the only way I could play it at tempo. Palm mute for the staccato.

I like this much better. Reminds me of a bit during Vai's 'Eugene's Trick Bag'.

It's 100% correct.
Here's a screenshot from Logics score editor (hence the exact notes played in my example):

View attachment 28299

and here's the bar we're talking about:
View attachment 28300
What song is that?
Great lick but 140 that’s kind of really fast …
Is it a legit solo played by a well known player or is it just something a pianist wrote for guitar ? lol.

That’s a really great challenge. Congrats !

Anyway I tried it and that was not easy. My timing still sucks at that kind of tempo. And I don’t sight read that often now too, so there may be mistakes.

The difficult thing to respect is the staccato. Otherwise it can be a simple taping lick

I wasn't aware of this musical until you posted it, so I looked it up online. Yeah you have your work cut out for you. There's plenty of stuff in just what you've posted that, even with as hard as I've been going at it for the past several years, I couldn't do. (Not saying that I'm some fantastic guitarist by any stretch.)

I can play some intense stuff these days. But being able to play all sorts of different riffs, written by all sorts of different guitarists, who can play TF out of their own stuff, but would most likely be lost playing other guys' hard material..., is a whole nother thing!

Good luck! I know there'd be many parts I'd simply have to change. But there would also be many of those riffs that I would do my best to try and add to my own skill set, for sure. As time permits, of course. Which is always the challenge when it comes to learning others' music, as we age and have adult-type responsibilities all vying for our time.
Except other than the first note the others of each set they're held half the duration as per the notation

That’s the hardest part of reading for guitar. You can’t just look at the note, you have to look at the context of the phrase the note is in to determine what position it should be played.

Over time you learn to recognize familiar patterns and “guitarisms” that help to identify these things more quickly

Not everyone has that kind of speed on tap.

I know college profs who have forgotten more about chord theory than I’ll ever know who would be unable to play that line
I reckon since the majority here are Rock and Metal guys I'll assume it's no issue.

Last edited:
This line is giving me trouble. I can’t seem to find a way to make it lay well on the fretboard. Any suggestions?

134bpm and the G and C are sharp

View attachment 28293

I happened upon this thread and thought I'd give this line a go. I don't quite have it yet, but I just started yesterday and it's well within reach. Here's what I am doing.

All notes played on the E, B, and G strings. C# and B on the G string. Sweep the first three notes, down stroke on the B. The third one is the trickiest because of the stretch, 9th fret E string for the C#, to 5th fret B string for the E. If I didn't have a day job, I'd probably have it.

Hope that helps.

Back