Got a free guitar last night.

Yep, like Gearzilla said, adjusting the claw is really all you’ll have to do, but that includes the back and forth “Oh sh*t, I went too far” 3-4x before you get it right.

A helpful tip to tune it once it’s floating;

Start with your low E then go to your High E, check the low E then move to the A string, check all the tuned strings then go to the B and basically keep doing that back and forth from low-high while checking the tuning in between. If you just go from low to high you’ll be there tuning the damn thing all day. but going low-high-low-high-etc keeps the trem balanced a bit more so you’re only making small tuning adjustments on each string each time you get one in tune.

It’s the worst part about a floating trem, but once it’s there, it’s there.

A tremstopper type of thing might not be a bad idea, I can’t remember which one does what, but on some it’s just a small thumb screw turn to go from floating to dive-only. I wanna say it‘s the Tremel-No but I can’t remember anymore.
Alread yfucked it up :bag:sofa:facepalm:cuss

There was no block installed. It just must have been clamped down so hard that is was flush to the body? When I tried bringing it back ot the original angle/location; it's like the springs were now stretched more and the bridge would not go back to it's original position. There's a reason why I never use these goddamn things. Ugh. Fine tuners are a nightmare for me as well
*****in' thing rules

Banna guitar gang unite <3
Oh yeah. Once I get the goddamn thing floating like a butterfly :brick:beer

Last edited:
Alread yfucked it up :bag:sofa:facepalm:cuss

There was no block installed. It just must have been clamped down so hard that is was flush to the body? When I tried bringing it back ot the original angle/location; it's like the springs were now stretched more and the bridge would not go back to it's original position. There's a reason why I never use these goddamn things. Ugh. Fine tuners are a nightmare for me as well

Oh yeah. Once I get the goddamn thing floating like a butterfly :brick:beer

That’s odd. If you post some pics we might be able to figure out how to get it working? It’s scooped away under the trem, isn’t it?

Post a pic of the bridge, like the one below. There should be a "line" on the bridge, that, is supposed to be level with the body. Like this:

paralell-jpg.6050

bbd40111-b762-497c-8e11-d25c8d3a8225.jpg

The 2nd pic is EXACTLY what it should look like when floating. It might look funny, but that's it. Well, the back of his bridge needs to come down slightly, but, hopefully you get the point.

That’s odd. If you post some pics we might be able to figure out how to get it working? It’s scooped away under the trem, isn’t it?
There's room. I think I just have ZERO floyd setup technique. I might try a restring and start from scratch. Or take it back to the guy that originally did and flip him a few more $ :sofa I'll see if I can post up some pic later when time invents itself :oops:

Post a pic of the bridge, like the one below. There should be a "line" on the bridge, that, is supposed to be level with the body. Like this:

paralell-jpg.6050

The 2nd pic is EXACTLY what it should look like when floating. It might look funny, but that's it. Well, the back of his bridge needs to come down slightly, but, hopefully you get the point.
Good catch. Thanks Baba! I will probably revisit it this weekend with fresh eyes. I ended up loosening some of the strings from the wrong end so I am kind of starting anew no matter what I do :|

You really should send to it to me, and not get it back, I'll pay shipping :LOL:
I was going to PM my dumbness but I'll share for all :grin

I still have 3 strings attached as 2 popped off when I adjusted the allen bolts that hold the strings in place :bag :wat:roflI think I will bring the 3 strings up to pitch, then back off the spring a bit so there is some play. Then restring the strings that came off and adjust from there:nails

Good catch. Thanks Baba! I will probably revisit it this weekend with fresh eyes. I ended up loosening some of the strings from the wrong end so I am kind of starting anew no matter what I do :|

You got my number, feel free to hit me up if you run into any problems. My JEM is due for a string change, different bridges but the same principle!

You got my number, feel free to hit me up if you run into any problems. My JEM is due for a string change, different bridges but the same principle!
Thank you sir :beer I might shoot some pics your way later in the weekend when I get back to it. I think my main problem is there is like 16 places to adjust everything on a Floyd and I am good for something that has 2 options and that's about it:rofl

So back around to this.

Floyd has been making creaking noises. Audible acoustically but not when plugged in so much.

I'm going to need to branch out further with another Floyd'd guitar. This thing at VOLUME through the BL halfstack was GODLY
:chef :chef :chef

Divebombs, horse squeals, bad takes at lush Lifeson trem work; oh my god :guiness

paralell-jpg.6050

Weird, I have never once encountered a Floyd (or Edge) with that line on it.

Don’t forget to try this old trick:

Point the bar back (towards the strap button)
Play a note then flick the bar with your hand

Also with the bar back smack the body of the guitar really hard with your fist

I kinda miss the days where I had a place I could use all those fun whammy tricks

I think my main problem is there is like 16 places to adjust everything on a Floyd and I am good for something that has 2 options and that's about it:rofl
Honestly, for purposes of this discussion, the only adjustment that matters is the spring tension. And that typically boils down to the two big wood screws that attach the claw to the back of the body. Sometimes (for instance, when you're getting a lot of mechanical noise you don't like, or when you can't get the proper tension just by moving the claw) you can also consider adding, removing, or changing the angle of one or more springs. But unless the tech that blocked it changed the spring configuration, this is probably not necessary.

Here's what you do:

1. Unlock the locking nut.
2. String the guitar with the gauge of strings you intend to use. (All of them LOL. And note that you will need to repeat this process if you change string gauge.)
3. Wedge a guitar strap under the bridge to hold it more or less level with the guitar, and more or less tune the guitar. We're talking Chris Farley "TUNE" the guitar. (Fine tuners should be set at approximately the middle of their range.)
4. Tighten or loosen the claw screws until the bridge will hold a relatively flat position (as Baba described) on its own.
5. Tune the guitar (ish.)

Repeat steps 4 and 5 making increasingly fine adjustments until the guitar smokes. Should take maybe 3 or 4 passes. Lock the nut. Use the fine tuners. Melt some faces.

EDIT: Trying to interpret your last couple of posts. Did I post this after you'd already dialed your RG in? Typical.

Last edited:
Back