Got a free guitar last night.

I'm going to need to branch out further with another Floyd'd guitar. This thing at VOLUME through the BL halfstack was GODLY

1. The creak might be the springs. Check out FU-tone (https://www.fu-tone.com/) for spring and other parts upgrades. They also sell full guitars too, check them out.
2. Talk about opening a can of worms . . ., if I were still playing Floyds, I'm not sure I could even narrow it down to a brand these days. SOOO many good ones, Charvel, Jackson, FU Tone, EVH, Ibanez, Schecter, ESP . . .
3. You need this: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...v5EkNQ_YOAKpohrIxMkWIFiqppDLzSTxoCO54QAvD_BwE

I dunno, my one is from 1986 and the other is from 1998 :idk
Wild. I have a friend whose got one of just about every Ibanez shredder ever made. I'll have to rummage through his basement one of these days looking for the "Edge edges". :)

I suppose it's worth noting that my only "real" Edge is from 1990 or so. :D

That’s a rather rare one as they didn’t make many of those at all. But I’d still be willing to bet on the bass side, that little rectangle is there.

That’s a rather rare one as they didn’t make many of those at all. But I’d still be willing to bet on the bass side, that little rectangle is there.
Very weird. If anything, I can sort of convince myself that I'm seeing a very short line on the treble side of the bridge. Even this is indeterminate, because that guitar's setup is such that the bridge is kind of buried in the body. (I'm curious, but not curious enough to raise it up and mess up the setup LOL.)

Very weird. If anything, I can sort of convince myself that I'm seeing a very short line on the treble side of the bridge. Even this is indeterminate, because that guitar's setup is such that the bridge is kind of buried in the body. (I'm curious, but not curious enough to raise it up and mess up the setup LOL.)

Yeah, if it’s that low they’re hard to see. Hell, they’re hard to see sometimes when they aren’t that low!

We Tv Too Much Work GIF by Braxton Family Values

I agree. If I didn't grow up on them, (first Floyd was in 1985), and couldn't do them in my sleep, ESPECIALLY now that PRS is here and the Gotoh jawn is pretty awesome, I probably wouldn't bother myself with Floyds these days.

Once you learn all the tricks though, it's VERY easy. Like mbenigni has said, it's mostly about the spring claw. That is the "coarse" and "in the ballpark" adjustment. Everything else is just fine tuning. Once that claw is set right, you really don't ever have to do much else.

Once you learn all the tricks though, it's VERY easy. Like mbenigni has said, it's mostly about the spring claw. That is the "coarse" and "in the ballpark" adjustment. Everything else is just fine tuning. Once that claw is set right, you really don't ever have to do much else.
Yep, there's no magic* to it. Tension on one side vs. tension on the other. The rest is setup more or less as on any other guitar.

String changes are still a significantly bigger PITA than on a non-Floyd guitar. On the flip side, nothing is quite as expressive as a Floyd. Any good floating bridge - Gotoh, Parker, heck even a 6 point Strat bridge if it's set up right - can come close, but nothing quite replaces a Floyd.

I really wish some clever engineer/ machinist had come up with a way to make a lever-based locking nut, that could be locked and released without tools. That and a quick-loader bridge that would actually stay in tune. Basically, I hate wrenches.

giphy.gif

* "Magic" is making an SG stay in tune. :sofa

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It plays shockingly good. Other than the spring noises. If I want to shoehorn the trumpets on there; I will need some "luthier skills" to mod the pickguard and I am not ready for that.

Yep, there's no magic* to it. Tension on one side vs. tension on the other. The rest is setup more or less as on any other guitar.

String changes are still a significantly bigger PITA than on a non-Floyd guitar. On the flip side, nothing is quite as expressive as a Floyd. Any good floating bridge - Gotoh, Parker, heck even a 6 point Strat bridge if it's set up right - can come close, but nothing quite replaces a Floyd.

I really wish some clever engineer/ machinist had come up with a way to make a lever-based locking nut, that could be locked and released without tools. That and a quick-loader bridge that would actually stay in tune. Basically, I hate wrenches.

giphy.gif

* "Magic" is making an SG stay in tune. :sofa
…lever-based locking nut

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

I really wish some clever engineer/ machinist had come up with a way to make a lever-based locking nut, that could be locked and released without tools.

:sofa

There have been a few over the years

You can also replace the screws on your current locking nut with these things:

There have been a few over the years

You can also replace the screws on your current locking nut with these things:

I think I may have seen that Schaller part (online) a million years ago. I wonder why it never caught on. That $250 (!!!) price tag has to represent rarity more than cost of manufacture. Imagine how it might have scaled if Ibanez had said, “This is going to be part of the Edge package.”

The Bill Edwards one is apparently $80; for some reason I thought they were way more expensive than that
Actually, this is the one I saw "a million years ago". Probably worth the $80 - if you can find one.

Back