Got a free guitar last night.

Grant Nicholas Silhouette GIF by Feeder

Mandela effect at play…

I don’t ever recall seeing Robert Frip employ a guitar with a middle pickup.
The same thought crossed my mind when I read that - "Does RF rock a three-pickup LP??" I should probably vet my sources more carefully.

The same thought crossed my mind when I read that - "Does RF rock a three-pickup LP??" I should probably vet my sources more carefully.
OK, this is not the article I was originally referring to - just the first thing Google turns up re: RF and a middle position pickup:

The famous black 59 had/has three humbuckers and five knobs. Four standard and one extra.
But admittedly, favoring a 3 p/u LP and then moving that 3rd p/u out of your way would be... ironic?

Last edited:
Actually, the end of the middle pickup on my JEM is discolored/worn from years of getting hit with a pick. Just the very edge of my palm rests on the very top part of the bridge and air-guitaring it, it seems I pull my hand back from my elbow when going for palm mutes, but it’s just hand meat moving, not the hand itself. Hand meat huhuhuhuhuhuh

So I need to pop open the back on this Ibby. Would blocking the Floyd for dive only consist of an actual wood block in the back or is there a locking mechanism on these bridges that do this?

So I need to pop open the back on this Ibby. Would blocking the Floyd for dive only consist of an actual wood block in the back or is there a locking mechanism on these bridges that do this?

There is no included locking mechanism. Wood block or one of the many aftermarket options availalble.

There is no included locking mechanism. Wood block or one of the many aftermarket options availalble.
Thank you sir! I wonder how much it will throw off the existing setup by unblocking it? Probably going to give that a go over the weekend I think.

Thank you sir! I wonder how much it will throw off the existing setup by unblocking it? Probably going to give that a go over the weekend I think.

You will have to readjust the springs to level the trem, and retune.

I would probably, (and I actually DID do this), use one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FRTL40--floyd-rose-frtl40-tremolo-stop-lock-nickel

You'll have screw holes, but it's basically an "adjustable" block, meaning, you could start with the same setup you already have, and then just block it, and if/when you remove this screw, your setup shouldn't change drastically.

I just removed the screw on my Carvin Floyd, and the setup/tuning basically stayed the same.

Yep, like Gearzilla said, adjusting the claw is really all you’ll have to do, but that includes the back and forth “Oh sh*t, I went too far” 3-4x before you get it right.

A helpful tip to tune it once it’s floating;

Start with your low E then go to your High E, check the low E then move to the A string, check all the tuned strings then go to the B and basically keep doing that back and forth from low-high while checking the tuning in between. If you just go from low to high you’ll be there tuning the damn thing all day. but going low-high-low-high-etc keeps the trem balanced a bit more so you’re only making small tuning adjustments on each string each time you get one in tune.

It’s the worst part about a floating trem, but once it’s there, it’s there.

A tremstopper type of thing might not be a bad idea, I can’t remember which one does what, but on some it’s just a small thumb screw turn to go from floating to dive-only. I wanna say it‘s the Tremel-No but I can’t remember anymore.

So gigged one of our best spots last night. Great time; place was packed. On break; a guy from back in the day sat me down and said he wanted to gift me a guitar. Mind blown. I told him are you sure you aren't gonna play it, sure your kids don't want it, sure you don't want to sell and get some $ out of it? NO. I'm like ok; what is it? He brings it in:

Waba0VN.jpg

Couldn't have picked a finish I would have picked any better :rofl

Ibanez RG350m. Plays nice. Haven't played it through my rig yet. Will be my first Floyd in a while. I wasn't sure about the RG thing as last one I played had the widest, flatest neck ever. This one according to the Ibanez wiki has the same Wizard II as my Ibby V? It feels very similar. Certainly a nice Christmas bonus if nothing else :guiness

Fuckin' thing rules

Banna guitar gang unite <3

Back