Fractal Talk

Am I the only one that basically can’t use IRs anymore - vs DynaCabs?

I was playing with the IIC+ factory preset, A/Bing the factory IR selection vs. a typical DynaCab setup, 4x12 Recto with Dynamic 1 and Condenser mics. It’s hard to overstate just how much better the DynaCab sounded to me. I know there’s nothing magical about the signal processing, it just sounds the way I expect it to, and I like it.

Does anyone can share there cab block on preamp recipes?
Especially when using plexis?

I settled on transformer (high quality) with enough gain to slightly hit the red and a little, a little more mids on the eq.

But like irs it’s really easy to have ear fatigue and to don’t eat nothing anymore.

Maybe some fractal maestros here can help with their knowledge.

Thanks

Back in my Mesa days I would have lost my shit if someone did this to my amp's knobs and EQ. That stuff took infinity time to get set just right. If you even breathed near it I'd be pissed.

Long before digital took hold, Mesa was the OG “Harumph, I’d spend more time tweaking than playing” gear. Then modeling came of age, and the luddites had something to freak them out even more…

I've always felt like IRs only work when you happen to find one that suits your guitar. When micing my own cab in the pre modeling era, I would just move the mic until I found the sweet spot, and it was tailored to my guitar and technique. I feel like static IRs are not necessarily as well equipped to support your specific guitar, that the captures are optimized for the IR creator, not for every spot in a typical range.

From the beginning of me using modelers in the aughts, I've preferred the sound of two or more misaligned mics, and the free movement of mics in DynaCabs is similar to what I've preferred doing all that time. Before DynaCabs came along I would use the freely moved mics in Amplitube and TH-U, then I'd capture them as a static IRs to import. But DynaCabs are so much better, because if I change my mind about mic placement, I'll just move the mic and save a new version of the preset without the pain of going through the capture / import process again. It's awesome. And with the recent Stealth cabs, especially the 2x12, I'm extremely happy with the results.

To me, the introduction of firmware DynaCabs as well as gapless channel and preset switching have been the two most awesome updates in the Fractal world since I bought my unit.

Am I the only one that basically can’t use IRs anymore - vs DynaCabs?

I was playing with the IIC+ factory preset, A/Bing the factory IR selection vs. a typical DynaCab setup, 4x12 Recto with Dynamic 1 and Condenser mics. It’s hard to overstate just how much better the DynaCab sounded to me. I know there’s nothing magical about the signal processing, it just sounds the way I expect it to, and I like it.

I've tried it many times and I keep trying it. I have even purchased a couple of Cab-Lab Dyna packs, but I still cannot replace my favorite IRs. I always go back to fixed IRs.

e.g.: LiveReadySound Vinai T, Factory-2 #633 4x12 Cali RNR E, Factory-1 #190 #195 1x12 Carol-Ann

I've tried it many times and I keep trying it. I have even purchased a couple of Cab-Lab Dyna packs, but I still cannot replace my favorite IRs. I always go back to fixed IRs.

e.g.: LiveReadySound Vinai T, Factory-2 #633 4x12 Cali RNR E, Factory-1 #190 #195 1x12 Carol-Ann

What Speaker Impedance Curves do you use for those?

It's clear he's just using the Axe-Fx, and the Mesas are just for show!

That's his post-Randall "Mesa" contractual product placement.
Next to the AxeFx and with these settings it does the complete opposite to what Gibson wants it to do.
Mesa fans are not the blonde in the first row, they know exactly what's going on.

product placement.jpg

Last edited:
What Speaker Impedance Curves do you use for those?
Oh! I've haven't been paying attention to that lately 😅
Excuse Me Reaction GIF

I remember that I did at the beginning. At my first preset using the LiveReadySound Vinai-T I selected 4x12 Brit800. But that was on very old preset versions. Now it has a 1x12 BritG12H75 curve:facepalm. But it sounds good :grin.

Since I've been going back and forth between IRs and DynaCabs, now I realize that some of my current presets with IRs have a strange variety of random Impedance Curves :rofl

4x12 Basketwave curve for the 4x12 Cali IR and for the 1x12 Carol-Ann

Excuse Me Reaction GIF

I remember that I did at the beginning. At my first preset using the LiveReadySound Vinai-T I selected 4x12 Brit800. But that was on very old preset versions. Now it has a 1x12 BritG12H75 curve:facepalm. But it sounds good :grin.

Since I've been going back and forth between IRs and DynaCabs, now I realize that some of my current presets with IRs have a strange variety of random Impedance Curves :rofl

This gets into the "but muh accuracy!" dissonance where it sounds exactly like you prefer but is not "authentic" or "correct". It's cool that modelers can do "wrong" things and get you different sounds like that.

I haven’t used IRs since DynaCabs were implemented.

Confession: I went back to a regular "blessèd" static IR for a few hours a couple of weeks ago. I chose one of my best boutique IRs from a highly respected vendor.

For a short while, I thought "oh yes, this is it".

The next day, I thought "surely this must be possible with a DynaCab?".

So I fiddled around for 10 minutes, switching back and fourth with my "good IR" as a reference and yep... there it was! There's definitely enough in the DynaCab box to keep me happy for the forseeable. That's all I'm using now.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF

Hey Man, it's never been more true that if it sounds good, it is good! Watching Pensado's Place I realized the extent to which the top audio engineers will do weird and unconventional shit to get "the sound." In audio, the ends do justify the means!

The AxeFx is at the center of my of my rig, everything goes through it, tube amps + load boxes, pedals, hx stomp, pink noise form the PC via SPDIF, poweramp + cabs, AND It really ties the room together, well worth the 8 minutes a week I actually play. :ROFLMAO:

Not joking - we use the Axe-Fx as our HiFi.

It's happily sat there playing a supper time music selection through a pair of Neumanns whilst we eat. :LOL:

Dayum, those converters are soooo good!

Back