Fractal FM0 - mockup thread

laxu

Rock Star
Since someone asked for it, I'll play. Quick mockups after a cocktail!

FM0 mockup.png

Top is just FM3 with switches and rubber chopped off.

Bottom is how I'd do it, while keeping the same software functionality and UI. Also could use the same button parts.
  • Nav moved right next to the display, close to the knobs. Less hand movement.
  • Edit button is gone. Not sure what to do about the next/prev block shortcuts? Double-click page buttons maybe?
  • Enter in the center.
  • Page buttons moved above nav, so they match that page tabs are on top in the on-screen UI.
  • Dedicated buttons for setup, global options and controllers.
  • Big knob...not sure if that works, but it's there.
  • For I/O, XLR outs would be gone, maybe some stereo jacks needed. The never used USB-A is gone too.

That'd probably be the only XLR. Or maybe a mini-XLR with an adapter bundled in or something?
Well then the trick becomes "if you want a head and switching unit; just get the III". Or "you will be cannibalizing sales of the III by offering a 'head' unit with switching options for a lower cost". Which I understand 100%, despite wanting the FM0 to exist :bag

Well then the trick becomes "if you want a head and switching unit; just get the III". Or "you will be cannibalizing sales of the III by offering a 'head' unit with switching options for a lower cost". Which I understand 100%, despite wanting the FM0 to exist :bag
It's not like anything has stopped you from slapping a FC-12 on a FM3 before.

To me a FM0 is not aimed at the person who would otherwise buy a FM9 or Axe-Fx 3. It's aimed at the person who is thinking of a HX Stomp, GT-1000 Core etc. "Hey, why not pay a bit more and get the Fractal, it's a bit larger but they say it sounds real good!"

To me a FM0 is not aimed at the person who would otherwise buy a FM9 or Axe-Fx 3. It's aimed at the person who is thinking of a HX Stomp, GT-1000 Core etc. "Hey, why not pay a bit more and get the Fractal, it's a bit larger but they say it sounds real good!"
I think you may agree with this, but the FM3 headphone amp is best in class for me among modelers. (You know, assuming one’s FM3 has a headphone jack in the first place). This would be another benefit of having the smaller form factor

Since someone asked for it, I'll play. Quick mockups after a cocktail!
As that "someone", here's my feedback:
  • Lose the screen
  • Lose the buttons
  • Lose the knobs.
In other words, that's not my idea of FM0 at all.

I think of it as nothing but:
  1. FM3 or FM9 chipset
  2. Same jacks as FM3.
  3. (Maybe the output knobs if necessary.)
That's it. I want the smallest possible box capable of making Fractal noise.
All editing is computer-based. All performance stuff is done via MIDI.

I'd show you my mockup, but it's literally a black box with a Fractal logo that lights up when it's on.

Fractal has reasons for not giving us Axe-Fx in software; fine, give us the smallest, cheapest, tiniest box capable of running that stuff!

Count me in for at least 2, and I'm ready to pre-order now. Let's do this!

You can get a used FM3 for around 800USD, wouldn’t this be competing with this unit?

You can get a used FM3 for around 800USD, wouldn’t this be competing with this unit?
Companies arent going to take into consideration the used market. I can get a used Kemper head for $800-$900 or a profile player for $700.

It wouldn't make sense for companies to take into consideration the used market. It'll just be up to the buyer for what they prefer. And I have to imagine the FM0 would not have all the same features as rhebFM3

I like the idea of an FM0 but as @aerial7 indicates, I want all controls to be in software via cable and/or wireless connection (be it BT, WiFi or other wireless protocols).

My take on next form factor however is this. If it is on the floor, I want to control anything on that unit with my feet. No way in hell I want to be bending over and adjusting stuff on the floor, seems silly (and dirty) to me. Yes, I know, that is how pedals have classically been done (with a combo of switches for feet and dials/sliders/buttons for fingers), that does not make it right in my head.

Here is my mock up of "The Footsie" from FAS (more detailed write up at the FAS Forum).
FootsieFXController_2024Feb17.jpg

Back