Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I have a GREAT idea for this! What do you guys think?

Level 2... Unlock 1 more block -> $129
Level 3... Unlock 4 more blocks -> $169 (requires Level 2)

Hmmm.. on second thought. NO.
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Genuinely though, if you really really wanted more effects.... two of these at once isn't such a bad shout. It is cost effective enough where it competes with a LOT of the mid to high end effects units, when if you do a like-for-like comparison, you're more or less in the same price point.

MercuryX + LVX = £1288 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky v1 + Timeline v1 = £869 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline v1 = £1099 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline MX (let's pretend it exists and is the same price!) = £1398 at Andertons (but wait for the Timeline MX to be invented!)

Add a drive pedal or multi-mod pedal to make the comparison a bit fairer, and you're looking at quite a high amount of money compared to one VP4.

HX Stomp is £519 at Andertons right now. But it is quite a different product really, with a different vision.

Boss RV500+DD500 = £738 at Andertons right now. (How many times am I gonna have to type that sentence!)
But arguably the Boss pedals don't compete with Fractal on quality or breadth of sounds. Add the MD500 and you're at £1067.

The VP is actually really well priced IMHO. I've not got a single qualm about buying one.

Absolutely agree looking at the UK prices of stuff compared to this. I really like the pricing and I like the modular element of it. £700 is pretty damn good.

Genuinely though, if you really really wanted more effects.... two of these at once isn't such a bad shout. It is cost effective enough where it competes with a LOT of the mid to high end effects units, when if you do a like-for-like comparison, you're more or less in the same price point.

MercuryX + LVX = £1288 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky v1 + Timeline v1 = £869 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline v1 = £1099 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline MX (let's pretend it exists and is the same price!) = £1398 at Andertons (but wait for the Timeline MX to be invented!)

Add a drive pedal or multi-mod pedal to make the comparison a bit fairer, and you're looking at quite a high amount of money compared to one VP4.

HX Stomp is £519 at Andertons right now. But it is quite a different product really, with a different vision.

Boss RV500+DD500 = £738 at Andertons right now. (How many times am I gonna have to type that sentence!)
But arguably the Boss pedals don't compete with Fractal on quality or breadth of sounds. Add the MD500 and you're at £1067.

The VP is actually really well priced IMHO. I've not got a single qualm about buying one.
Sweetwater has a Timeline/Big Sky/Mobius package for $1377, which is $678 more than the VP4 here. Strymon's gotta figure things out. As a former Strymon owner, it's good stuff, but it's not better than Fractal effects.

Usually the complexity, cost, and availability, have been the things that have kept me away from Fractal products, and I've been snarky about their waitlists and users of their products, in the past, but, giving credit where credit is due:

This is a GREAT product. It's not for me, BUT, kudos to Cliff and the gang. It should definitely eat into the mid to higher end multi-effects pedal market, in a big way, and should definitely bring some previous "non-Fractal" users, into the fold, and eventually, exploring their other products.

I wouldn't have been surpised (or even mad), at a $799 or $899 pricetag, but at $699, it's a no brainer.

So, at 4:00 of his video Cordy adds a multitap delay to an empty preset and cpu goes up by 6%... that's exactly the same percentage that same block uses on my fm9 turbo!
I think we can assume this thing has the same processing power as one core of an fm3/9 turbo
Comp from the Leon Todd video is the same percentage as well
Drive block seems to "weigh" roughly double instead... maybe this has higher oversampling than on the fm3/9 (like on the axe fx)?

Back