Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Other than having to toggle it in and out with some "if user has these blocks, no analog dry-through for you" logic, what sort of problems would analog dry-through cause in a design like this?
"Hey why doesn't my EQ work? This thing can't even do a wah, weak CPU!" Followed by 100s of support requests I imagine.

• Haha
Reactions: LCW
@FractalAudio - Can you use the SPDIF to record a unity gain DI signal to the DAW while running the pedal in 4-cable-method with an amp???

I'm picturing a workflow where I can track some takes using vp4+amp+cab+microphone ... and then later on do any reamping if required to replace parts with more dialed in presets or tones, or reamp through a different amplifier with the same effects tones.

For reamping - I'm assuming sending a SPDIF signal back into the pedal would be as if I was plugged into it ??

Also does it come with one of those nifty free invisible jazz stools as demonstrated by Cooper Carter?
1729022900247.png

Genuinely though, if you really really wanted more effects.... two of these at once isn't such a bad shout. It is cost effective enough where it competes with a LOT of the mid to high end effects units, when if you do a like-for-like comparison, you're more or less in the same price point.

MercuryX + LVX = £1288 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky v1 + Timeline v1 = £869 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline v1 = £1099 at Andertons right now.
Big Sky MX + Timeline MX (let's pretend it exists and is the same price!) = £1398 at Andertons (but wait for the Timeline MX to be invented!)

Add a drive pedal or multi-mod pedal to make the comparison a bit fairer, and you're looking at quite a high amount of money compared to one VP4.

HX Stomp is £519 at Andertons right now. But it is quite a different product really, with a different vision.

Boss RV500+DD500 = £738 at Andertons right now. (How many times am I gonna have to type that sentence!)
But arguably the Boss pedals don't compete with Fractal on quality or breadth of sounds. Add the MD500 and you're at £1067.

The VP is actually really well priced IMHO. I've not got a single qualm about buying one.

Watching Aaron’s demo vid and seeing that he used some clean preamp pedal in front… Makes me think that it’s a shame FAS didn’t add at least a simple fixed clean amp block in this VP4… Get your dirt from the drive pedals.

Reactions: Elf
Back