Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Not testy, giving an answer ...I plan on using my own drives...and amp (4cm)

I do not own any mod effects....and am replacing my HR mx5 with this.

Just because something isn't for you, doesn't mean it isn't for anyone else.

If it isn't for you...cool, find something else.

Just tired of seeing people who wouldn't use a product anyway, shit on it just because they can't see a use. Also, last I checked....I said MY pedalboard.....so, yep.

It's cool. You do you...too.

Also as a poor bastard, this is the best way for me to get into the fractal effects.....which, no, I don't already own.
Screenshot_20241015-143611_Gallery.jpg

Also, what doesn't the vp4 replace here?

Last edited:
And as far as I can understand, it's about having access to 4 simultaneous Fractal effects in one box and either running it stand alone or integrated into a pedalboard - and with all the flexibility that the Fractal platform provides through those 4 switches.

Yep.

It's also about quality over quantity in terms of those 4 simultaneous effects. High quality audio path components, high quality rendering of reverbs delays etc. No tone suck.

Just tired of seeing people who wouldn't use a product anyway, shit on it just because they can't see a use. Also, last I checked....I said MY pedalboard.....so, yep.

Come on, comments about a product are just comments about a product. Unless a they are written in an unpleasant and provocative way there's no need to read them as shitting over a product.

Come on, comments about a product are just comments about a product. Unless a they are written in an unpleasant and provocative way there's no need to read them as shitting over a product.
Obviously you haven't been paying attention....it's cool. Just read the thread.....it's not hard.

20241021_061643.jpg

Agree.

And even if someone drops a bad opinion of a product... it´s just an opinion (as its own name says).

And this is a forum. A place to drop opinions. Nobody said they should be good ones.

Agree.

And even if someone drops a bad opinion of a product... it´s just an opinion (as its own name says).

And this is a forum. A place to drop opinions. Nobody said they should be good ones.
That was my whole point....jeez....what is wrong with this place lately.🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh the Irony.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the USB audio performance of the unit? interested to know how much manual offset you have to apply in the DAW to get tracks lined up?
FM3 isn't very good for USB recording.

Thank you.

And no, I wasn't shitting on the product at all, just genuinely curious. I read a lot of posts on the epic "Fractal Audio Systems mystery product speculation" thread, and the 2% of posts I read, you know the ones that were actually related to speculations about the product :ROFLMAO: , didn't really point in this direction so I was a bit underwhelmed when the product was finally revealed.

It's cool that someone (apparently a lot of people) found a product suited for them, I'm happy for them. This won't be my personal entry into the Fractal Audio sound scape and that's okay too.

I'll find my own out now, as you were.

I feel like all the praise this gets around here are from people who already own fractal gear.
Of course that's partially true, which speaks highly of FAS because majority of the guys here own or have owned other modeling platforms. FAS has a great rep. 1. quality effects/modeling 2. customer service 3. pro users of all types
And a lot of the buzz created here is magnified with a healthy dose of humor and sarcasm -- which is fun.

In which case this product isn’t really expanding the customer base, just upselling to existing customers who need an excuse to buy more fractal gear.
Not true in my case. This will be my first FAS product. To have the quality effects of the platform, in 4 switchable modes, ability to run 4cm, etc, etc. is a cool thing. I love my HX stomp too, not getting rid of it. Worse case is I run them together and am extra happy. :grin

You do you - no need to get testy. I am just asking a question. I am genuinely curious as to what the hype is about. And as far as I can understand, it's about having access to 4 simultaneous Fractal effects in one box and either running it stand alone or integrated into a pedalboard - and with all the flexibility that the Fractal platform provides through those 4 switches.

I'm not trying to bring anybody down from their excitement over this new product - been around long enough to know that that's not how it works. I was just wondering why all my "peers" were slobbering all over this new release while I was scratching my head.
I think because this is the first time that integrating Fractal effects into a setup without going all-in-one was truly possible. The FM3 doesn't play very nicely in 4-cable-method (according to many many people anyway!) due to noise concerns, and only having 3 switches. The FM9 is too big without going all in on it, and the Axe3 plus FC foot controller is for the die-hard Fractal guys who sneer at pedalboards lol. (I kid, I kid!)

The VP4 is really Fractal's first proper foray into trying to appeal to pedal guys, IMHO. The FX8 was too big, and a lot of the effect algorithms have come on a very long way since then.

I agree. I feel like all the praise this gets around here are from people who already own fractal gear. In which case this product isn’t really expanding the customer base, just upselling to existing customers who need an excuse to buy more fractal gear.

Well the VP4 will be my first fractal product. I love my hx stomp when used as part of a digital rig but struggle with it when used with my amp. I'm hoping the VP4 will help with some of the issues I've had with the stomp. I'm looking forward to trying it once G66 gets them in stock for the UK.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention....it's cool. Just read the thread.....it's not hard.

View attachment 31419

I personally don't see any problem with that comment? They didn't get why people are excited, which is a fine stance to have over any product. It's neither unpleasant (read: insulting) or provocative?

If people are offended by, or have an issue with that comment, they have bigger issues.

People are going to like it. People are going to not like it. Just like every other piece of gear out there. If it doesn't have enough fx baked in or the lack of channel switching relays is a dealbreaker for you; I also get that too. Use what works \m/

I will say I tooled around on it yesterday for a good bit of time and it is great with an amp.

I'm not trying to bring anybody down from their excitement over this new product - been around long enough to know that that's not how it works. I was just wondering why all my "peers" were slobbering all over this new release while I was scratching my head.
So I’m a guy that still prefers amps over modelers depending on the application. I have an FM9 that is always hooked up to my PC, and I have to admit it’s absolutely incredible, and with the recent updates it sounds as good if not better than my tube amps for recording. Having said that, I still prefer to play with a tube amp, sometimes a stereo rack system, and a 4x12 with V30s. My guitar sound moving serious air out of a 4x12 cab is infinitely more satiating than playing a modeler out of my 8” studio monitors.

It’s. Not. Even. Close.

Up until now the best effects units to use with a tube amp are the H90 or the HX effects, which both come with limitations. The H90 allows for 2 algorithms, and you have to either be in parallel (4CM) or series modes, there is NO switching between them on the fly. There’s also no gate by itself and the one overdrive in the unit sounds pretty poor when pushing an amp to sound metal. It works, kinda, but it requires a ton of finesse. The reverb and delay effects however are absolutely gorgeous.

Then there’s the HX effects. The best of options - FX loops, switches amp channels, can be in 4CM or stereo, can even do 4CM stereo, has awesome overdrive and pitch effects, and many people love the delays. Myself, I feel the delays and reverbs pale in comparison to the Fractal and Eventide offerings. They’re all good, but going from the HX Effects to the FM9 - the effects are night and day better on Fractal. Fractal and Eventide are head-and-shoulders above everyone for multi-FX delay, reverb, modulation, etc. There are some single pedals in this class, but no multi-FX unit comes close.

SO, to have a Fractal unit that’s incredibly flexible with all the Fractal effects hooked up to my amps in either 4CM or in the loop pushing a 4x12? That’s awesome. Small enough to sit on top of my amp and control it remotely either with a MIDI controller or my amp’s floorboard switching in and out the FX loop? Incredible.

That’s why I’m so excited about it.

I agree. I feel like all the praise this gets around here are from people who already own fractal gear. In which case this product isn’t really expanding the customer base, just upselling to existing customers who need an excuse to buy more fractal gear.
Had it been able to also run amp modelling, this would be a totally different product. As is, I don’t really see the appeal over something like the HX Stomp / Stomp XL…

I know I haven’t read all 36 pages of this thread but isn’t this only able to run 4 effects at any one time? Either you have a very small pedalboard (and around these parts, that’s just weird…) or you never run more than four effects simultaneously.

Again, I don’t get it. What is it about this particular product that has everyone so excited? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've never owned a fractal product and I already have an HX stomp and this is the most appealing Fractal product I've ever seen, especially at the price point. There's a chance it might even eventually become the first fractal product I pull the trigger on.

Not everyone is into modelling and fractal fx are -really- good... and the fact that price wise it's coming in cheaper than an Eventide H90 and offers a whole lot more makes it pretty compelling

Back