Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

So basically just the layout of the vp4 seems more useful than a generic midi controller?

I’m honestly a caveman with this stuff and would just setup presets back to back. So I only ever needed to go up/down presets and that was it. All the patches were done ahead of time so no tweaking on the fly or footswitch tap dancing. I can def see that if you wanted to interact with pedals live the vp4 is probably better than the fm3 just for the UI. I kind of hate the thought of bolting multiple things together (for price and physical reasons, more cables power, board etc). Rather just get a bigger unit at that point.

Programming midi controllers can just be a pain sometimes. It’s not very rewarding work, it doesn’t make music. It gets a little exhausting, especially if you’ve had the chance to use Helix or the Fractal FC stuff. Those newer options are just easier/faster/better. You sometimes gain some interesting capabilities with the very top tier of standalone midi controllers, but you’re in pretty rare air with the limited number of people that appreciate and will use those capabilities.

The FM3/VP4 combination @Orvillain mentioned would be a solution that’s pretty easy to understand and operate. Gain structure over here, effects over there, can leave one alone and change the other, less programming for synchronization, etc. You could do the same thing with an FM9 and keep it all in one box (use scenes for either the effects or the gain structure and use independent footswitches for the other with those switches set to ignore scene changes). But, it’s going to be more complicated to initially program that and maintain it.

Personally, I’d rather stay in one box but I totally see the appeal of the two box solution.

D

but Leon's vid has admittedly open my brain to the possibilities. Which is usually where I get myself in trouble.

16 people got it right.

Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 15.39.14.png

No, it‘s like…

„This army of rock will be there
To ram it down, ram it down
Straight through the heart of this town
Ram it down, ram it down
Razing the place to the ground
Ram it down“

…with a lot of reverb.
They did Blood Red Skies when we saw them here a few years ago :love :love :love

That album was ruined by the production and the Johnny B Goode cover :barf There are a handful of great songs on there though.

In my personal opinion the VP4 is physically big and expensive for what it offers.
I love my Fractal gear (AxeFX III, X-Load) but this one will not fit on my pedalboard and doesn't offer enough for the size and price.

The same effects used onstage by vai, petrucci, the edge, etc in a box only slightly larger than a timeline but with an extra foot switch for $699 is too big and expensive?

Stephen Colbert Help GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Back