Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Got it. $12k in gear to play Reo Speedwagon covers and only $300 used in the budget for effects. :beer
He painted with a mighty broad brush, and I wouldn't have put it that way, BUT, I think I see his point. For what I do, I'm not selling my Stomp for one of these, nor would I chase the Strymon/Eventide/Fractal effects quality to play Come On Eileen.

He painted with a mighty broad brush, and I wouldn't have put it that way, BUT, I think I see his point. For what I do, I'm not selling my Stomp for one of these, nor would I chase the Strymon/Eventide/Fractal effects quality to play Come On Eileen.
Stomp is the GOAT on what it does. Unquestionably. BUT...:grin...if you're going to sniff every cork in your rig's chain; sniff every cork!

On a parallel note; Come On Eileen is a weird song. If you play it and can pull it off; more power to you!

Of course; I could setup a bunch of individual FM3 presets with my special FX as need per preset and be great with it that way. Then I'd have to set up a new switching paradigm for myself, maintain this new batch of presets, blah blah blah. Much easier to add the VP4 than to do all of that :ROFLMAO:
It is kind of funny how we work our way around in circles on this stuff, though:

1980-something: "Stompboxes - fun! Each with its own on/off switch! Whee!"
1990-something: "One giant box that replaces all my stompboxes? Cool!"
2000-something: "Oh WOW! Presets! No more tap-dancing! A curated sound and layout perfect for every song!"
2010-something: "OK, I can't keep track of all that shit. And soundcheck is impossible. And I have to apply every little change to 100 presets..."
2010-something: "Oh WOW! Scenes!!! This is amazing! Except almost exactly the same as presets. And not as powerful. So I have to use both, I guess? Kill me now."
2020-something: "Hybrid mode WOW! Do whatever I want with whatever pedal I want? Perfect! I'm done! (But I still can't keep track of it. Also, what will I do with my extra money now?)"
2024: "Wait, you're telling me I can buy two different boxes from the same vendor, and configure the switches like individual stomps and forget all about this preset/ scene/ switch programming bullshit? ... FINALLY!!!!"

P.S. I realize this 40+ year long journey is one that some of you travel every 40 days or so. :rofl

Last edited:
It is kind of funny how we work our way around in circles on this stuff, though:

1980-something: "Stompboxes - fun! Each with their own on/off switch! Whee!"
2000-something: "Oh WOW! Presets! No more tap-dancing! A curated sound and layout perfect for every song!"
2010-something: "OK, I can't keep track of all that shit. And soundcheck is impossible. And I have to apply every little change to 100 presets..."
2010-something: "Oh WOW! Scenes!!! This is amazing! Except almost exactly the same presets. And not as powerful. So I have to use both, I guess? Kill me now."
2020-something: "Hybrid mode WOW! Do whatever I want with whatever pedal I want? Perfect! I'm done! (But I still can't keep track of it. Also, what will I do with my extra money now?)"
2024: "Wait, you're telling me I can buy two different boxes from the same vendor, and configure the switches like individual stomps and forget all about this preset/ scene/ switch programming bullshit? ... FINALLY!!!!"

P.S. I realize this 40+ year long journey is one that some of you travel every 40 days or so. :rofl
Oh jesus you aren't kidding! As insane as this sounds; I really do try to make things as DUMB as possible so as to avoid any sort of issue on the live front! I will maintain at least in this current gen that programming footswitches on FAS stuff (outside of default layouts) is a slog to say the absolute least. From the vids of the VP; it does look like they have cleaned up that process quite a bit. By dumbing it down in the right way I think? We'll see when it gets here.

1980-something: "Stompboxes - fun! Each with its own on/off switch! Whee!"
2010-something: "Oh WOW! Scenes!!! This is amazing! Except almost exactly the same as presets. And not as powerful. So I have to use both, I guess? Kill me now."

Tube Amp Diehards:
GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

Back