Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

SPDIF and MIDI stuff

These Micro Penis Pedal freaks can barely lift their asses out of bed, you think they can carry an FM3 + VP4?

Ha Ha Lol GIF

I think the SPDIF connection could be a pretty cool way to add it as a nice outboard effect unit recording.

Pretty sure it was like that for my FM3 delivery in Canada too. Fortunately, I was watching for delivery notifications like a hawk, so it only sat there for a few minutes, but the "required signature" thing is a farce.

That makes me both happy and nervous, as while part of me wants them to just leave it, I'm in a new place where I've had packages stolen off the porch. I did get a Google camera and put a "you're on camera" sign up, which seems to have helped. But, one package was still taken and the camera seemed to have not been activated, like they stealthily slid it from the side or something.

The super annoying thing is the porch has a 3' brick wall across the front, all they have to do is slide the damn package to the side a foot and it's concealed from the street by the wall. But 9 out of 10 deliveries, they just lazily leave it on top step, in full view.

Also crappy, is the package that got stolen without the camera turning on was the neighbour's, delivered there by mistake. I had a video clip of it being delivered, but the next clip is me arriving home and the package isn't there. Very weird and I actually showed this to the neighbour, but I'm new in the area and don't know him, so I feel like he's probably wondering if I kept the package and deleted the video clip.

Anyway, here's hoping they deliver the VP4 after I get home!

I think the SPDIF connection could be a pretty cool way to add it as a nice outboard effect unit recording.

Yeah I have my VP4 connected with spdif to my interface and it's really handy that way. Been also using my Axe with Axe-FX spdif for years and wouldn't dream of using it any other way at this point. Well, that or AES. But my point is it's really nice to have a digital connection to and from a unit while still using your existing audio interface.

Yeah I have my VP4 connected with spdif to my interface and it's really handy that way. Been also using my Axe with Axe-FX spdif for years and wouldn't dream of using it any other way at this point. Well, that or AES. But my point is it's really nice to have a digital connection to and from a unit while still using your existing audio interface.
which audio interface are you using? I connect my fm3 to my audio interface via spdif but my particular device doesn't allow direct monitoring via the spdif input

Kin hell.... it has literally just dawned on me...

FM3:
- Clean
- Crunch
- Overdrive

VP4:
- Drive
- Delay
- Delay
- Verb

You could literally have 7 footswitches right there at your feet, and do a bit of mild tap dancing.... for not very much floor real estate at all, and stick that in a bag for fly dates.
Is the fm3 underpowered that it needs a vp4 for your needs or is it just about footswitches? Couldn’t you just get a small 4 switch midi controller to add on. I never ran out of blocks on the fm3 but I never had kitchen sink presets so not sure where it maxes out in that department.

Is the fm3 underpowered that it needs a vp4 for your needs or is it just about footswitches? Couldn’t you just get a small 4 switch midi controller to add on. I never ran out of blocks on the fm3 but I never had kitchen sink presets so not sure where it maxes out in that department.
Not Orv. But more switches is always good. The FM3 is not underpowered but for whatever reason I feel like adding an FC whatever to it is wayyyyyyy overkill compared to the available CPU I have left in my gigging presets. I'd be struggling to find oddball things to assign to a switch vs. the VP where every switch counts and is already spoken for.

which audio interface are you using? I connect my fm3 to my audio interface via spdif but my particular device doesn't allow direct monitoring via the spdif input
RME Fireface UCX II. Before I had a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre that worked just as well with spitif. I really feel like that connection is the way to go unless you're reamping but I don't believe in reamping LOL.

RME Fireface UCX II. Before I had a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre that worked just as well with spitif. I really feel like that connection is the way to go unless you're reamping but I don't believe in reamping LOL.
I'm assuming you have to use a breakout cable for spdif connection?

Not Orv. But more switches is always good. The FM3 is not underpowered but for whatever reason I feel like adding an FC whatever to it is wayyyyyyy overkill compared to the available CPU I have left in my gigging presets. I'd be struggling to find oddball things to assign to a switch vs. the VP where every switch counts and is already spoken for.
So basically just the layout of the vp4 seems more useful than a generic midi controller?

I’m honestly a caveman with this stuff and would just setup presets back to back. So I only ever needed to go up/down presets and that was it. All the patches were done ahead of time so no tweaking on the fly or footswitch tap dancing. I can def see that if you wanted to interact with pedals live the vp4 is probably better than the fm3 just for the UI. I kind of hate the thought of bolting multiple things together (for price and physical reasons, more cables power, board etc). Rather just get a bigger unit at that point.

I'm assuming you have to use a breakout cable for spdif connection?
The RME came with the breakout cable, yes and then some orange Spitif cable I got from Best Buy. I'm not sure if there's any actual difference between what I bought and just a standard RCA coax cable but whatever.

So basically just the layout of the vp4 seems more useful than a generic midi controller?

I’m honestly a caveman with this stuff and would just setup presets back to back. So I only ever needed to go up/down presets and that was it. All the patches were done ahead of time so no tweaking on the fly or footswitch tap dancing. I can def see that if you wanted to interact with pedals live the vp4 is probably better than the fm3 just for the UI. I kind of hate the thought of bolting multiple things together (for price and physical reasons, more cables power, board etc). Rather just get a bigger unit at that point.
This ties into my complete LOATHING of configuring a midi controller to work with the FAS stuff. I just don't have the patience. I am FC or nothing for the most part. The VP4 does double duty sort of in that the switches are already setup for you AND it offers some additional FX that I would absolutely love to have in my preset. I agree 100% about the bolt on factor. But you can arrange an FM and VP on a board vertically whereas the FM9 is set in stone as it is one piece in a single horizontal row.

Of course; I could setup a bunch of individual FM3 presets with my special FX as need per preset and be great with it that way. Then I'd have to set up a new switching paradigm for myself, maintain this new batch of presets, blah blah blah. Much easier to add the VP4 than to do all of that :ROFLMAO:

Of course; I could setup a bunch of individual FM3 presets with my special FX as need per preset and be great with it that way. Then I'd have to set up a new switching paradigm for myself, maintain this new batch of presets, blah blah
Not really. Get a small foot print 4 button midi ( I have the xsonic airstep). And just assign each switch to an effect and that’s all. Adding on a VP4 just to get 4 switches seems like an excuse to just buy the new shiny thing 🤣

Not really. Get a small foot print 4 button midi ( I have the xsonic airstep). And just assign each switch to an effect and that’s all. Adding on a VP4 just to get 4 switches seems like an excuse to just buy the new shiny thing 🤣
It's all just an excuse for the new shiny! :ROFLMAO:

I hate. Hate. HATE. Doing ANYTHING midi on the FAS stuff. Other than sending out dumb PC messages to gear downstream. The small footprint midi controller still requires me to dig into the hellscape menus and do the things I buy FCs purposely to avoid :grin To speak back to my response; there aren't enough blocks to control independently outside of my current scene controlled blocks.

I honestly was just going to keep my VP4 experience dumb and 100% GAS inspired but Leon's vid has admittedly open my brain to the possibilities. Which is usually where I get myself in trouble.
:bag:brick:rofl

I've never used one. Was just thinking aloud, theoreheticltalaiz like.

The FM3 isn't underpowered but not quite enough for an ambient ram god like @Orvillain either. If you wanna go HAM the VP4 would allow for it.

Also my brain likes separating out the dry & wet effects, the FM3 + VP4 would be nice for that.

Back