Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Maybe they could accomplish the same thing with pushing the footswitches when they're in effects mode.
It could replicate what happens in scene mode, when pressing a switch the list of all scenes shows up for a couples seconds.
In effects mode it could be made so that whenever you press a switch the parameters of that effect show up for a couple seconds and, if you start turning the knobs within that timeframe, the screen stays there until you press exit or another footswitch.

Anyone else wishing the USB audio or S/PDIF on VP4 would allow more input/output so each of the four blocks could be selected in a DAW or any hardware device that uses digital audio IO?
Make each of the four blocks independently available as a separate insertable destination, stereo where applicable.
You could properly 4CM your amp sim plugins….put a different block in four different tracks….etc etc.

I cant see any realistic way that having 4 or 5 extra push buttons is going to make useability worse ?

Defenitely not. The only reasons I could see would be:
- Current knobs are substantially cheaper than the ones on the other units, so FAS didn't want to raise the overall cost much more.
- There's been too many reports about broken push-encoders.
- Hardware implementation is tricky.
- Any mixture of the above.

Really? I thought they would be the same as the FM3 etc in this regard. That sucks.

Might actually even be a dealbreaker for me because that means very quickly moving between fx blocks is not easily doable even as an update. Lots of scroll-Enter-Exit-scroll-Enter...which is basically the same as Axe-Fx grid used to be before the "go back a block" function was added to double clicking Edit.

Oh no......not the dreaded dealbreaker!!!

horror.gif

Anyone else wishing the USB audio or S/PDIF on VP4 would allow more input/output so each of the four blocks could be selected in a DAW or any hardware device that uses digital audio IO?
Make each of the four blocks independently available as a separate insertable destination, stereo where applicable.
You could properly 4CM your amp sim plugins….put a different block in four different tracks….etc etc.

Eh, no. Clearly not the intended use of a VP4. Get one of its bigger brothers.

Maybe they could accomplish the same thing with pushing the footswitches when they're in effects mode.
It could replicate what happens in scene mode, when pressing a switch the list of all scenes shows up for a couples seconds.
In effects mode it could be made so that whenever you press a switch the parameters of that effect show up for a couple seconds and, if you start turning the knobs within that timeframe, the screen stays there until you press exit or another footswitch.

Hey! :)

See:

Hey! :)

See:

Yeah, that's the exact same functionality and it'd be nice on the other devices too for sure. I'll +1 it!

Last edited:
Eh, no. Clearly not the intended use of a VP4. Get one of its bigger brothers.
I interpret the ‘intended use’ as a tool for people who don’t use modelers but do make music with pedals. They included USB audio interface capability as a part of its intended use.

So in my mind the number of inputs and outputs in the digital realm it provides falls under the ‘intended use’ umbrella.
Whether or not the hardware can handle it is one thing but if a firmware update, or a mere driver update could make it happen the prospect for a desktop outboard Fractal effects box for recording purposes adds value that costs little to add.

I don’t see anyone hefting even the littlest chunky brother, the FM3, out of their guitar case onto the desk to follow a spontaneous urge to add some Fractal mojo to a track or two.
And being able to incorporate the VP4 with small hardware devices would add value too. iPad running Loopy Pro with VP4 as interface and 4 VP4 blocks independently inserted where wanted would be incredible!
It’s damn close to the proverbial FM0 less amps/cabs…

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm new here :)
I joined because it seems that the conversation here is way chill and most people don't take themselves too seriously. other forums are basically going insane...wth is wrong with people?

I've been following the VP4 since the speculations started and I'm very excited about this device.
I wanted something like that from Fractal for years... definitely replacing my H90 with this thing.

Re the parameter editing on the fly, I realized that there are 2 "modes":
1. When starting with an empty block/slot (let's say B) - you turn the B encoder to choose the desired block, for example Pitch, hit enter to select, hit enter again and you'll see the Type list, choose the type of pitch effect and hit enter to go to the effect's parameters.

2. When selecting a block that already has an effect, all you have to do is press enter and you immediately see the effect's parameters (that are part of the 'Basic' editing mode). Press Exit to return to the home page.

While it isn't like Performance Pages, where you can customize which controls are displayed, I think it's a pretty convenient way to change thing on the fly. it doesn't require too many clicks and seems quite straightforward imo.

I'll let you know how it goes in the real world when I get my device.

Hey guys I'm new here :)
I joined because it seems that the conversation here is way chill and most people don't take themselves too seriously. other forums are basically going insane...wth is wrong with people?

I've been following the VP4 since the speculations started and I'm very excited about this device.
I wanted something like that from Fractal for years... definitely replacing my H90 with this thing.

Re the parameter editing on the fly, I realized that there are 2 "modes":
1. When starting with an empty block/slot (let's say B) - you turn the B encoder to choose the desired block, for example Pitch, hit enter to select, hit enter again and you'll see the Type list, choose the type of pitch effect and hit enter to go to the effect's parameters.

2. When selecting a block that already has an effect, all you have to do is press enter and you immediately see the effect's parameters (that are part of the 'Basic' editing mode). Press Exit to return to the home page.

While it isn't like Performance Pages, where you can customize which controls are displayed, I think it's a pretty convenient way to change thing on the fly. it doesn't require too many clicks and seems quite straightforward imo.

I'll let you know how it goes in the real world when I get my device.
Welcome! Some FB threads are a mindblow. Talk about toxic entitlement. Bunch of newer suspiciously looking like FAS official forum dudes with similar avatars with thumbs down posts and other dumb crap. I'm sorry this isn't an FX32 for $499.

Yeah ...not really getting all the BS coming from neysayers......what is it you want ....everything ....for 199$. WTF is wrong with people.....this is a great value as it is ....and you know it will get better over time ....what is the major malfunction around here ...or there ...oh yeah ..the human element.......

bumby-i-need-it.gif

Yeah ...not really getting all the BS coming from neysayers......what is it you want ....everything ....for 199$. WTF is wrong with people.....this is a great value as it is ....and you know it will get better over time ....what is the major malfunction around here ...or there ...oh yeah ..the human element.......

View attachment 31035
Yeah it all reeks of entitlement just like the people who won't stop asking for an Axe-FX Native plugin.

View attachment 31035
Considering what it does along with Fractal's fx rep, I'd say it's a good value for sure.

Yeah it all reeks of entitlement just like the people who won't stop asking for an Axe-FX Native plugin.
It's really all in how you ask and how you respond to the answers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ AxeFx Native would be great. If Cliff doesn't want to do it; that kind kills the idea dead in it's tracks. No matter how many thumbs down/turd react/sad faces you want to give the guy :ROFLMAO:

The all-in-one solution doesn't really suit a lot of people. For various reasons:

- They tend to be complex, and editing them on the fly is a chore.
- Some people don't want to be painted into a corner in terms of which effects they can use.
- Some people don't like being tied down to one manufacturer.
- Floor real estate is either not a concern for them, or it is and so they need a capable device that isn't limited to just one effect category.

I've noticed that a lot of the naysayers are pure modelling unit people; they don't use valve amps anymore, and have completely moved over to the "all in one" mindset.

But I'd wager that the vast majority of players today are still using small, medium, large, spaceship pedalboards with a variety of effects and manufacturers on it, along with some kind of amp - whether it is solid state, modelling, valve, or one of the new "amp in a pedal" type things that a lot of manufacturers are doing.

I don't think most people are relying entirely on a Helix, Axe FX, Boss GT, Kemper, Quad Cortex, type unit.

The above reasoning is precisely why I own so many variations. I can't commit to a single piece of gear. Closest I got was Helix, where I used it as my main amp modeller and multi-effect from 2016 to about 2019, before I started wanting other gear.

Yep, a lot of people still want the immediate access to physical control knobs for on the fly adjustment. It is more intuitive and inspiring to use that type of rig to dial in a sound even though it is ultimately more limiting, less reliable, more expensive, and more cumbersome than an all in one digital solution.

Digital interfaces make it feel like work to adjust parameter settings. It is one of the sacrifices you have to make to go all in on a digital modeling solution. If you can get past that, the benefits are numerous and significant. Digital rigs can easily do things that even the highest budget pedal board with the latest and greatest programmable loop switcher would not be able to achieve.

Back